Wednesday, March 27, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 172z)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172z)

Conceding that I needed to pay more attention to Elle and the kids and to be “a better husband and father” I joined them at the 10am service at church. It was the last Sunday school for the duration of the Summer and the attendance and participation awards were handed out. The older two girls were excited to be recognized and as a reward they were told we’d go sailing that afternoon. I wasn’t looking forward to it because when I’d been at the sailing club the previous day I tested the water and it was cold... very cold. Elle wanted no part of it so it was up to me to sacrifice my comfort and to get wet. The kids were able to stand the cold water for about an hour before they admitted they had had enough. The one good thing that was accomplished was that all the parts and pieces for the boats were there and worked. The first time out each season was usually an ‘adventure’ but we were actually ahead of most everybody else. It was a nice feeling to go with the excitement the kids had shown getting back to sailing. For Elle, it made her a little sad because she wouldn’t be able to be all that competitive because of her pregnancy.

We ended up back home earlier than expected which was OK by me. Elle wanted to take a nap so it gave me some time to work on the dreaded sign. Once the girls and I were showered and dressed Elle suggested that they go next door to see if the neighbors kids wanted to play with them and asked me to go with them. I really wanted to get started on the sign but, again, wanting to be a “good father and husband” I agreed. It was about mid afternoon when we walked through the opening in the hedge. The first thing I saw was this rather large older woman sunning herself in a chaise on the new patio. There was no sign of anyone else. I thought the woman might be asleep so headed the kids back towards our yard. Then I heard it. It sounded like the bellow of a sick cow, a sound we would hear from time to time from across the road from the dairy farm. It was the woman yelling at us wanting to know why we were on her property. At first I wanted to keep on going as the tone of her voice was anything but friendly. However, it immediately brought forth two people from inside the house. It was Junior and Matty, the adult children of the owners. Matty ran up to me apologizing as she did. She quickly explained that the woman was her mother and was still “settling in”. She added that her mother was a ”private person” and liked her privacy. While this conversation was taking place Junior was placating his mother. Kaye had ducked back through the hedge opening and the other two were sort of cowering in the opening itself.

Matty insisted that we all come over to be introduced to her mother. As we made our way over she explained that her real name was Genevieve but because of the grandkids insisted that everybody call her Geemaw. It came about because the grandchildren hadn’t been able to pronounce Genevieve and sort of mangled grandma. It was decided that the compromise would work. I had the hands of both Anne and Jean as we walked up to her. I’ve never been good at guessing the age of people past 50 and, as for Geemaw, I had no idea. Based on the age that Matty had admitted to being a safe guess would’ve been in her 60’s. However, when she spoke she sounded older with a deep voice that I’d come to associate with heavy cigarette smoking. Even with Junior and Matty right there she was still not comfortable with having me and the kids there. Matty did the introductions and all the woman did was grunt. Then her grandchildren appeared and she mellowed up a bit. I chose that time to ask Matty if the kids would like to come over and play in our playhouse. Of course, when they heard that they were excited and Matty excused them and I let my kids hands go. They were like bullets going back through the hedge. However, they’d been my ‘buffer’ to the older woman’s stare and now I didn’t know what to say or do.

Junior noticed my unease and pointed out to the back of the property and headed that way. To get there we had to walk past the garage and I asked if my ‘fix’ of the garage door had sufficed. He didn’t know anything about it so we stopped to take a look. While inside Martha, Junior’s wife appeared in the doorway. With the sun behind her and wearing a light cotton sundress she was like a silhouette and reminded me of the last time I’d seen her when she wearing a tennis dress. Matty soon joined us and she explained to Junior and Martha how I’d made the garage secure right after some of their things had arrived. And then she proceeded to invite me, Elle and the kids for a little picnic supper on their patio as a ‘thank you’. It was totally unexpected and without Elle there I was reluctant to give an answer. But, it did give me an excuse to get back to my house saying I’d get back to them. On my way I was debating with myself knowing it was the neighborly thing to do but would mean nothing would get done on the sign.

Elle made the decision. We’d go and she’d make the dessert. The strawberry season had been late that year and were still available. My mother had a recipe for a strawberry pie that was decadent. I was dispatched to go to the only food store that was open to get cream for whipping (Sunday openings still hadn’t taken over the retail marketplace) while Elle baked the crust. She got word to the neighbors that we’d be coming and 5pm was set for the time. I told Elle about Geemaw and warned her to be prepared. She asked about the father and I’d not given him any thought at all so had no answer. I thought back to when J J, had introduced him to me at the bank and how ’stand-offish’ he’d been. I was having second thoughts as we all made our way through the hedge.

It was obvious that the invite had been last second as there was little in the way of preparation. I had to go fetch some lawn chairs and a folding table to go with the one they had set up. Elle was the one to ask about Geemaw and when I heard Junior say she preferred not to join in with her kid's friends I think I breathed a sigh of relief. That was when I took a few seconds to look at what both the women were wearing. Both had changed and Martha was wearing white shorts with colored polka dots and a short sleeved top with lace trim. It was another outfit that I could see Elle wearing. Matty had on a short pink skirt with a pink and white blouse. For some reason the combination made her look thinner than when she was wearing shorts. The two women engaged Elle in conversation and as they drifted in and out of the house it left Junior and I alone. I knew nothing about what he did so chose that as a topic.

If you’ve been reading this for any time now you know that I was just getting involved with the stock market. I’d been given some advice by Stan, my broker, that had paid off handsomely for me. Junior worked on Wall Street but not with stocks or with ‘retail’ customers like me. He was with start-up firm that dealt with all kinds of bonds and they sold them to brokerage firms. I didn’t know much about stocks and even less about bonds and as he described his job I found myself fascinated. I remember the word he used to describe his company calling it a “niche” firm and it was obvious he was excited about what the future would be like after they got established. I was about to ask for some details when the women and kids burst out of the kitchen door with the food.

To be continued…

No comments: