Sunday, February 17, 2008

DECEMBER... Home for the Holidays (Part 30f)

Realistically, we both knew we should go home. Naturally, Elle was reluctant because of the way she’d left her house earlier. We were still within the curfew, not that it mattered due to the situation with her mother, and in my minds eye, at least she could fall back on that. Reluctantly, she agreed. We parked in my driveway as the one thing we didn’t want to do was to wake her parents. That, along with being on time for dinner, was another one of her mother’s quirks... don’t wake her (or her father) up when coming in at night. Elle carried her wet skirt and slip and I held her other hand as we walked over to the house. She really didn’t want to go in, not that her mother would be waiting or anything like that, but for the fact that she’d have to face her in the morning. I remember telling her that she just had to do it and that everything would work out. I gave her a big hug and kiss and watched as she reached for where the key was always hidden... only it wasn’t there.

At first I thought she might’ve knocked it to the ground so I started feeling around for it. The area was part of a small flower bed that lay between the driveway and the house. After a few seconds Elle joined me. It was dark with no artificial light at all. I’m guessing but I’d say that after about five minutes of futile effort I told her I’d run back and get a flashlight from my car. She was now getting cold as she still had on the damp panties and her coat only went down to just below her knees. I ran all the way but when I returned we still couldn’t find the key. I asked her if she’d seen the key since she’d been home and she said she hadn’t. She said it was always in the same hiding place.

If it had been me I would’ve knocked on the door. Already in bad with her parents and facing some kind of discipline, it seemed to me to be the only option she had. But she had another idea... and I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard it. She asked if she could stay at my house for the night.

I don’t remember my immediate thoughts at the time but after a short time I thought it was a great idea. Who wouldn’t want to brag that their girlfriend slept at their house? :-) Of course that was the fuzzy logic of a teenager in control. Once I agreed we both ran back to my house. As I unlocked the door and we stepped inside I told her to use the downstairs bathroom to get cleaned up. I knew I’d have to come up with something for her to sleep on that would hold any pee if she wet while asleep since she wouldn’t have her usual ”package“ and plastic panties. I knew my mother kept all the Summer towels in the closet under the stairs so I retrieved a couple to put under Elle when I got her upstairs and into the room where she’d sleep.

There were two empty bedrooms. One was ”reserved“ for my Grandparents when they came to visit, which wasn’t all that often. But I never gave that room a thought. The other was called the ”guest“ room. It had always made me mad that I wasn’t allowed to use it as mine, at least during the Fall, Winter and Spring, when we seldom had visitors. It was right at the head of the stairs so when we both came up I made sure that I stepped on each step at the same time as Elle did so as not to give any indication that it was more than just me coming upstairs. I didn’t turn on any lights in the room and just used the dim light from the hallway to turn down the covers and to spread the towels. I told her that if she did get up to use the toilet, NOT to flush, as the bathroom was right next to my parents room and that neither my brother or I ever got up during the night. She was going to have to sleep in just her blouse so I pulled the bedspread off the other bed to help keep her warm. I kissed her and disappeared into my room.

As I lay there in bed I began to rethink what we’d just done. Now it was going to be the two of us that were in trouble and I was going to have a lot of explaining to do. But it was too late to undo what had already been done. When I focused on the fact that Elle basically had no clothes except her blouse, panties and coat I went into a mini panic. I knew my mother would have a major fit about that. Then it came to me that what I should’ve done was to go get my mother as soon as we walked in the door. But it was too late for that as well.

I know I slept a bit but it surely wasn’t much. I was up and dressed by 7am. I sat on the top step of the stairwell waiting to hear some sounds from my parents room. By then I figured the best approach was to let my mother know as soon as she got up and just hope that she believed me. But, before she did I saw Elle’s shadow moving about. I’d left the door ajar so that if she did get up during the night that she wouldn’t make any noise opening the door. She peeked her head out and saw me sitting there. As she opened the door she gave me a hand signal indicating she didn’t know what to do. At that point I just plain didn’t know myself.

After a moment or two I decided that it would probably be best if Elle got dressed in a pair of my chinos. I figured that would reduce the chances of my mother thinking the worst. I rolled up the pants legs and passed them in to her and waited for her to come out. We went downstairs and once we got into the kitchen I gave her a big hug. She half heartedly responded and I knew that she was really worried about what was going to happen when she faced her mother. We really hadn’t a chance to discus it when my mother appeared in the doorway. To say she was surprised to see Elle was to put it mildly.

Like my Grandfather used to say, if you tell the truth you have nothing to forget. Right from my first words I told her everything that had happened after we had gotten to Elle’s house. One of the things that was in our favor was the fact that my mother knew her mother quite well and was aware of some of her ”quirks“. The other was that she had an uncanny way of knowing when I was lying or telling the truth. As I remember it she never challenged me on what I told her. I do remember her looking at Elle from time to time trying to ”read“ her expression as I talked. She never interrupted me once. But, when I was through she sort of lectured the both of us, telling us what we should have done. My ”second thoughts“ had been right... we should have gotten her up. But, we hadn’t and now Elle had to go face her mother.

To be continued...

1 comment:

oldblue said...

Oh boy is someone in trouble or what!