Saturday, December 01, 2012

CHRISTMASTIME... Ho Ho Ho? (Part 102e)

I parked the wagon in the space next to the unit as usual and, still fuming, went inside. Elle knew me well enough not to “push” me for answers as to why I was mad. The experience with “Alec” threatened to ruin what should’ve been a nice quiet evening at home with my wife and kids. When I finally calmed down Elle asked me if I would go to a New Years Eve party being held at the meeting hall right there in the park. When we moved into the park there were two active social clubs... the 1849ers for those within that age range and the Golden Agers (GA’s) for those over 50. Both had been inactive for a while. The GA’s because most of them had moved to Dick and Ben’s new mobile home park designed just for them. The problem with the 1849ers was that the “movers and shakers” who had behind the creation of the club moved on and no one had stepped up to carry the cause forward. However, there were now a lot more in that age bracket what with the GA’s moving out and a few couples volunteered to try and revive it. Elle had been asked what she thought about having a New Years Eve party as a starting point one day while she was up at the mailboxes. Thinking that it would be a good way to meet some of the new people she said she was in favor of it... but this was the first I’d heard about it. Having me in a better frame of mind would’ve probably been better but time was running out on making a decision. Reluctantly, I said OK. The only problem was we needed a babysitter.

Elle’s plan was to ask Karen while we were at church the next day. We loaded the kids in the wagon and I got in and put the wagon in gear. Because of where we normally parked the wagon I had to put in reverse to get out into the street. Nothing happened. I heard the engine rev up (and saw smoke from the exhaust out behind the vehicle) but not even a wiggle of movement.

I’d promised Elle that I wouldn't swear in front of the kids but there was no way to hold back my feeing at that moment. The air was “blue” as I got out and raised the hood. I had scared the kids and realized it when I returned to turn off the ignition. Elle had promised to help out with the “greetings ”committee at church and was now upset at both me and the situation. I took a deep breath (maybe three or four) and headed for the trunk of my car and fetched my chain. I got Elle to steer the wagon as I pulled it out from the parking space. Once out in the street we, silently, headed for church.

We were a bit late but Elle was still able to fulfill her duties as a greeter. After the service Elle went to ask Karen about sitting for us on New Years Eve while I put the girls coats on. I could see Karen shaking her head in a negative manner which didn’t really bother me. Even though I’d agreed to go to the party I’d only done it because I felt badly about how I’d acted when I came home after paying “Alec” to fix the wagon. If we didn’t go it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. I’d gotten away from the party scene and hadn’t attended even one with my sailing friends during the Summer. But... Elle’s conversation with Karen continued and the two of them came over to me. Karen had suggested a good friend of hers. That wasn’t good news as far as I was concerned and I could tell Elle wasn’t overly excited about it either. Then Karen’s mother walked up to us. After hearing Elle’s concerns she told us that Karen’s friend was a nice girl and came from a good family. She suggested that Karen take us over to the girl’s house to meet her. I figured Elle would turn the offer down but she didn’t.

I parked out front of the house in stead of the driveway so that I would be able to leave without having to put the car in reverse. Karen got out and went to the door to make sure her friend was there. A tall, balding man answered and I could see a big smile on his face. A minute later he was standing on the stoop and waving for us to come on in. As I helped Elle to get out I wondered how I’d gotten myself into this situation. I was not comfortable at all and still very agitated about the station wagon. We were greeted at the door by the man. He introduced himself as “James” and he promptly introduced his wife, Estelle. She, of course, fawned over the baby as most women do when they see an infant. As I watched I realized that the person we’d come to meet wasn’t there. After the introductions I saw feet and bare legs coming down the stairs. I had to do a double take because I was looking at an elf dressed in green and red... or a very pretty girl dressed like one. She said a boisterous “Hi!” to Karen and then turned to Jean with an equally emphatic “... and who are you?” I was pleasantly surprised that Jean wasn’t intimidated and went ahead and told her her name. Anne, the middle daughter, had her head buried into Elle’s skirt, too shy to want to be seen. The girl’s name was Patsy and her mother introduced us. After that I just I had to ask about the elf costume.

Patsy was a volunteer Candy Striper at the hospital and for the holidays they had all dressed as elves. After she cheerfully explained her mother told us that it had been Patsy’s idea. I stood there looking at this particular elf totally impressed with not only her personality but also her looks. I also noticed that the skirt was very short and immediately wondered what she was wearing under it. Elle suddenly asked if she could use the bathroom and handed me the baby. The mother pointed her in the direction of the kitchen and, to save time, I proceeded to ask Patsy if she was available for babysitting on New Years Eve. She had come over to me to try and get Anne, who was now clinging to my leg, to talk and was squatting down next to me. Before she could answer her mother butted in and actually asked the same thing that I’d been thinking only a minute or so ago. Patsy, reacting, looked down as she spread her legs to see. I was too close to get more that a glimpse of white. Patsy jumped up and went running up the stairs with Karen laughing as she went. Karen said something along the lines of "... that is sooo Patsy!" as she continued to laugh. I saw her mother roll her eyes as she looked at her husband who hadn't said a word once we were inside the house. It was pretty funny.

To be continued... 
 

1 comment:

badside said...

Patsy sounds like she's going to be fun to read about!