Thursday, November 29, 2012

CHRISTMASTIME... Ho Ho Ho? (Part 102d)

It was basically a ”Princess“ Christmas as far as the girls were concerned. Jean was totally taken with being a princess so we obliged with play clothes and things associated with princesses. Because Anne was so close in age (16 months) and in size we decided that what was good for one would be best for both. There were books about princesses and as I remember it, a board game as well. Elle already had her sewing machine but I did wrap up the striped shirt so the girls would see their mommy opening a present. I got an insulated jacket to wear for working outside and that was about it at home.

When we packed up to go to my grandfather’s for the Christmas dinner I completely forgot about the transmission in the station wagon. We always used the wagon when we went anywhere with the baby because there just wasn’t enough room in my car for the five of us and all the baby’s stuff as well. It didn’t come to me until after I’d pulled into my grandfather’s driveway. There was no way to turn a vehicle around at the end of it without backing it up. It was too late to do anything about it so, with me mad at myself, we went inside.

My mother had bought presents for Elle and I to give to both my father and grandfather and we’d bought his favorite butterscotch candy for the girls to give to him. There were some new dresses for the girls plus Elle and I had a photo album for my mother. That pretty much did it as far as the gift exchange was concerned. I knew my grandfather would have his little envelopes to give out after the meal but there was something missing. There were no presents from my parents for Elle and I.

As usual, my mother had prepared a scrumptious meal for us. Elle and I had to hold back though knowing that we'd soon be facing another full meal at her parent’s house. My grandfather handed out his envelopes when we’d finished eating. I really wanted to see what he’d put inside mine but was in the process of clearing the table so had to wait. Elle was peeking into hers when I walked in. She had a smile from ear to ear... and held up a new $50 bill. That was the amount I’d gotten the previous Christmas so I put the dishes down and ripped open my envelope. Inside was a new $100 bill. Santa had come in the form of my grandfather!

As the time approached to leave I told my father about the problem with my station wagon. Of course he had to go see it for himself but could offer no help at all. There was no way we could get out of going to Elle’s parents so I asked him if he’d drive me back to our place so I could get my car. He outdid himself when he offered me the keys to his car, a big Buick 4 door.

After we got our envelopes from my grandfather I loaded the car with all the baby stuff and the presents the girls had received. When I was getting into it my father handed me a set of keys and told me to go into his garage when we got there. I asked him why and just shook his head, smiled and said to just go and do it. Driving there I wondered if he wanted me to check up on his water system which periodically went on the fritz.Other than that I couldn’t really come up with anything that seemed logical. Even though Elle was anxious to get to her house she was almost as eager as I was to go into the garage. Opening the door to the shed area everything looked as I remembered it from the Summer. When I walked into the real garage area I couldn’t help but see two aluminum poles with what had to be a sail attached. I walked over and lying on the floor where I’d stored my boat for the past ten years was a Sailfish (a type of sailboat). That had to be what he wanted me/us to see but it didn’t make any sense since I’d not expressed any desire to own one. We were both puzzled but had to get over to Elle’s parents with the kids.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For background, go to Part 98g and read the last few paragraphs. What had happened was that the man who owned it had pressured my father to buy it. My father who was a strong advocate of sailing and, not pleased with my selling my boat, felt that if he bought it and gave it to me that I’d still be able to sail.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Christmas at Elle’s parents house was always a bit strained. Elle, I and the kids were all tired by the time we arrived and definitely didn’t need or want another full meal. I remember my mother-in-law asking why the kids weren’t excited about their gifts and not being able to give a satisfactory answer. It was the baby who, inadvertently, came to our rescue, by having used up all the diapers we’d brought. I drove Elle and the girls home and then took my father’s car back to him. He wanted to know what I thought of our present and I had to do a good job of acting to answer. I told him I certainly appreciated the thought but also told him that my mind was on the broken down station wagon that was down by the carriage house. He suggested that a distant relative who ran a local service garage look at the wagon. He knew that the guy had a tow truck and offered to contact him the next morning. All I could do was say ”Thanks“.

Long about dark the next day I got a call from ”Alec“. I didn’t have the foggiest idea who ”Alec’ was but it turned out to be the distant relative. He told me the wagon was ready to be picked up. I was so happy to hear the news that I didn’t ask what he’d found was wrong or how much it cost to repair it. Mistake!

We got the kids all bundled up and drove to his place. It was right on the edge of town and must've driven past it a thousand times and never knew I was somehow related to the guy who owned it. I introduced myself and then heard him list off at least a dozen names that we were supposedly related to. Elle wasn’t interested and wanted to get home and started with supper preparation so I asked how much it was going to cost. I literally choked when he told me it was $90+. That meant the $100 my grandfather had given me was just about gone. I was too upset with the price to be thankful that I’d received it. I asked “Alec” just what he’d done and, not having any knowledge of the workings of an automatic transmission, didn’t understand any of what he said. I pulled out the $100 and gave it to him but was still very upset. After receiving my change I don’t think I said another word but just got in the wagon and drove away. 2nd mistake!

To be continued...


1 comment:

badside said...

Ouch, I bet that $90 hurt, I'm sure you'd already spent in on other things in your mind. Wondering what happened next.