Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SETTLING IN... at work (Part 107b)

It was about the end of the month when I was helping a customer whose husband had died that I came across a problem that I’d encountered during the busy period... signature cards that were misfiled. I needed the cards for the accounts that were in the name of the deceased man and couldn’t find them. I was in the files nearest Cassie and as I flipped through them I heard a loud male voice. I turned to see what was happening I saw this 40 something man, obviously drunk, at Cassie’s window. He was ordering her to do something and his speech was so slurred that I couldn’t understand what he was demanding her to do. I stepped up beside her and asked what he wanted. He mumbled something and Cassie interjected that he’d told her to fill out his withdrawal ticket and that she’d passed it back to him telling him that he had to sign it. Basically, I told him the same thing. He then proceed to call Cassie a less than complimentary name. Now I was mad. I told him to apologize to her and he told me to go ___k myself. I don’t know what kept me from climbing over the counter but I didn’t and basically ignored his comment. I told him that without a signature he wouldn’t get any money. He grabbed the ticket and scribbled something that was supposed to be his signature across the middle of it. I took it and his passbook. I then wrote across the area that asked how much was to be withdrawn “BALANCE OF ACCOUNT” and told Cassie to cut a check for it. Her eyes bugged out of her head and she asked, “Really?”. I emphatically answered “Yes!”. When she returned with the check I handed it to the man and told him to get out of the bank because I was calling the Police to have him arrested for trespassing if he didn’t. Now it was his turn to have bugged out eyes. As he staggered towards the door I felt something on my arm. It was Cassie’s hand and as I looked towards her I could see tears but I heard her whisper “Thanks“.

As I walked away I wasn’t thinking so much of Cassie as I was of what Hobie would think of my somewhat rash action. I headed for his desk, ignoring the lady at my desk. He listened for a few seconds when Letitia walked up along side of me. She was a nice lady but had seemed to try and avoid conflict so I was taken aback by her presence. Hobie acknowledged her and asked if he was needed. Meekly, she said she didn’t but continued by almost whispering that ”Micah had created a scene again“ and then she retreated. Hobie then let me finish and told me that we’d talk after the doors closed. I didn’t know if that was good or bad.

I finished up with my customer and then got to thinking of the ramifications of what would've happened if I hadn't taken the action I did. I thought about Mala’s incident and wondered just how often customers verbally abused the tellers. Common sense told me that it wasn’t up to the tellers to handle conflicts so I was building a case in my defense when I got together with Hobie. I thought 3pm would never get there. When it did Hobie came to my desk. I took that as a good sign. He then told me about Micah. He’d been injured during WWII and was ”not all there“. Every so often he’d go ”on a toot“ and was, as I’d witnessed, pretty mean. Then he told me that he came from a prominent local family. That’s when I figured I was in some deep ___t. But all Hobie said was that I’d been a little harsh and then it was my turn. When I told him what he’d called Cassie and what he’d said to me I saw him sort of acknowledge that maybe Micah had gone too far. At that point I told him my thoughts on conflicts at the tellers window. I asked for permission to meet with the tellers to tell them to come and get Bret or me rather than put themselves in a position to be verbally abused. He didn’t respond for a few seconds but then told me it was a good idea and to include him as another one for the tellers to go to. All I can say is that I wanted to let out a big ”WHEW!“ as he got up to go.

The tellers were absolutely excited when I told them of the new policy. I remember Mala looking straight at me and actually smiling. I thought Cassie might show some emotion but she was back to her usual Mona Lisa look. I also remember Cara saying that we (on the platform) would be busy and then smiling. Right before Trish left she made a point of coming over to my desk. I still remember her telling me that ”I had a friend for life“ with Cassie. That pleased me but I would’ve liked to have heard it from Cassie herself.

Katie, the new employee, started on a Monday. I’d written some notes as to just what her duties would be. I’d gotten some ”grief“ from Kate every time I made a change in what she was doing so I thought since what Katie would be doing was almost totally new I’d create a new title... Reserve Teller/Clerk. That way whatever it was that she was asked to do would be covered. In writing the details I remembered that every position at the County had a job description so I asked Trish for copies of the bank’s. She looked at me like I’d asked directions to get to the moon. I immediately added job descriptions to my ever expanding list of things to work on.

As Katie walked away from my desk after I’d gone over her responsibilities I saw a repeat of what I’d witnessed following her interview... a nice rounded buttocks with dimples where the elastics of her panties were. I was really hoping that she’d work out. It was a little later when Bret walked up to me and asked if I’d caught a look at Katie’s backside. I smiled and told him to say ”Thank you“.

To be continued... 

2 comments:

oldblue said...

Good for You! There are always some people who treat anyone in a service position as though they are beneath them. I have always found it hard to be around anyone like that and I have known alot of them. Nice to read you had no tolerance of that type of behavior. Looking forward to more of the new rear.

badside said...

It's mind boggling the way people can treat one another and how they seem to justify their bad behavior.

LOL, sounds like Bret was a fellow VPL admirer!