Monday, March 25, 2013

SETTLING IN... at work (Part 107e)

That Saturday was opening night for the stock car races and I had a lot to do. While waiting for J J to show up I was cursing myself for having suggested that he stop by to introduce his wife and to meet Elle. She wasn’t too happy either because she’d been called to teach the last three days that week and she’d not had a chance to keep up with the wash and other chores. J J had said he’d be there around 10am and it was close to 11am when they pulled up. They were in one of those VW wagon/van’s that looked like a loaf of bread and were popular in the 60’s. It was a warm day for May so we didn’t need coats as we walked out to meet them. I don’t really know what I expected J J’s wife to look like but it certainly wasn’t what stepped out of the vehicle.

Bonnie was a mess. J J was a good looking guy and, even though this was a Saturday, was well dressed. She was the exact opposite. Her hair looked like it hadn’t been combed and, even acknowledging that she was pregnant, she was sloppy fat! Her dress looked like she’d slept in it. But the most memorable (unfortunately) moment was when she opened her mouth. Ten words and I knew just who was the ”boss“ in this family. Ten minutes in and I’ll bet that Elle and I’d spoken but a dozen words. To call her crass and crude would be a bit harsh but... When Elle went to invite them inside Bonnie decided it was time for them to go. They’d only been there about 15 or so minutes and it was definitely on her command. When J J tried to suggest that he’d like to meet our kids she put him down and said something like ”We’ll save it for another time!“ and started walking for their van. It was very abrupt and after she got in she never even said or waved good by. As we watched them drive away Elle and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. I’d never experienced anything like her before in my life.

I’m sure that you’ve met someone for the first time and didn’t like them.  For me, J J’s wife was one of those people. He was waiting by the back door of the bank on Monday morning and was all apologetic for his wife’s behavior, giving any number of excuses. I wasn’t buying them even though I told him it was OK. I told him to forget it, that it would work out over time. His apology told me that at least he recognized her boorish behavior.

Not more than five minutes into the work day Hobie told me to set up an interview with the ad agency people because the president wanted to put out some publicity about J J’s hiring. My only contact with them had been when I set up the ad about the extended drive up window hours so I didn’t exactly know what he wanted me to do. I did remember that the girl who worked there, Amy, had given me a couple of good ”peeks“ when I’d been there. I called and set up an appointment for just before noon. I decided I’d walk J J over and introduce him myself, hoping against hope that I’d get another ”peek“.

When we walked in it was like a welcoming committee for us. Amy, her father and grandfather were there together and I proceeded to introduce J J. The grandfather left and Art, the father took J J into his office leaving me alone with Amy. Art had said it wouldn’t take long and, with that, J J asked me to wait so we could go to lunch together. That was fine by me.

Actually, it was Amy who started the conversation asking me if I was a ”local“. I explained that I was and told her about the homestead down on Main Street. I quickly asked where she was from and when she told me it was the same town as where both Elle’s and my parent’s lived I became very interested. I asked where her home was located and I knew approximately where it was. It was on the very outskirts of the town and on a rarely used road. She said they’d only lived there a short time which prompted me to ask where she'd graduated high school. When she said it was from the same town’s school I blurted out that Elle had graduated from there as well. That prompted a whole bunch of ”do you knows“ but what turned out to be interesting was that she was a freshman when Elle was a senior. Amy said she remembered that Elle was captain of the varsity cheerleaders while she was on the junior varsity squad.

I’d gotten so involved in talking that I forgot about positioning myself for a possible panty peek. When J J reappeared at Art’s office door he called me over to ask a question. When I turned back I could see behind Amy’s desk and I only got a glimpse up her skirt. I don’t know if it was her slip or her panties but it was enough to make me want to kick myself in the butt for not remembering to have at least tried for a peek. It was too late by then as J J was by my side and there wasn’t any reason to stay. My loss.

That night I mentioned Amy to Elle and asked if she remembered her. It wasn’t a good idea. She didn’t say yes but immediately wanted to know where I’d run across her. The tone of her voice told me that she did and that she didn’t particularly like her. I explained and, rather than explain why she was perturbed, said something along the lines of ”Well, I hope you don’t see much of her.“. That really raised my interest and, after some pleading on my part, she explained and what I heard was rather shocking. According to Elle, Amy was known as ”Lay me, Amy“ in school and told me that she, supposedly, had had sex with most of the boys on the basketball team. Coming from Elle, who seldom if ever said anything bad about anybody was a bit of a shock. After meeting J J’s wife all she'd said was that Bonnie was ”different“ but nothing negative. I remember frowning and asking how she knew about Amy’s trysts. She didn’t hesitate when she shot back at me ”If you don’t believe me, go ask Cliffy!“. (Cliffy being my stock car racing friend from way back who had graduated with Elle) That was pretty definitive so I didn’t say any more. But, Elle continued and told me that one night, after the junior varsity game (which was played right before the varsity game), she came out and sat in the stands, still in her uniform, but she’d taken her uniform panties off and when the players would look at her she’d open her legs. Listening to Elle tell the story and noting the sharpness of her voice I knew not to say anything at all.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

From that description, Amy just got even more interesting! It's funny how women can feel so threatened by the "town slut". Is it because they think they lose some power when men can find sex elsewhere?