Sunday, March 03, 2013

THE NEXT PHASE... new job (Part 105l)

After lunch I got together with Bret and we went over the interest only problem. We worked up a temporary solution and ran it by Hobie. His reaction wasn’t what I was looking for but agreed to let us try it for the rest of the day. It was a simple process... just have the tellers ask if they could post the interest later and that the bank would mail the books back that afternoon. The tellers liked the idea when we walked down the line to inform them. I made it a point for Bret to be the one to tell Mala and I put myself in position to observe her reaction. As soon as she heard it she immediately looked around to find me and when she saw me she acknowledged it with a nod of her head and a bit of a smile.

It wasn't accepted as well as I’d hoped but it was a start. Bret and I met with the tellers before they left for the day to get some feedback and then we brainstormed a bit before going home. As you’ve read, I really didn’t know what Kate’s responsibilities were. I suggested that the ”interest only“ customers be directed down to Trish and that she turn the passbooks over to Kate or Corinne for one of them to post at the underused drive up window. We felt that would satisfy the customers and help to clear out the lobby traffic.

While we were finishing up I saw Cara and Trish talking, but that was nothing new. However, in just my short time there I learned that Cara, who had a very distinct voice, would speak in a very loud voice when she wanted other people to hear her. I didn’t know what she was complaining about but it had to do with something in or around her teller’s station. I managed to get Trish’s attention before she left and asked what the problem was. Trish showed me the seat on the stool at Cara’s station. The seat was covered with a heavy green vinyl and the bindings had separated. Because of that Cara (and other tellers) were getting ”runs“ in their stockings. After everyone had gone I checked all the other seats and found a few others in the same condition. I’d used some cloth tape to make repairs to some cushions that we used at home back during the Summer. I went across the street to the office supply store and bought a few rolls of it. Back in the bank I proceeded to tape all the edges of all the seats and then went home. I couldn’t wait to see Cara’s reaction the next morning.

I was disappointed as she didn’t notice. I continued to avoid Mala but kept an eye on her all day. There was no doubt that the new procedure needed work but a few positive comments from both customers and some of the tellers told me that it held promise. Cara surprised me by acknowledging the repair to her stool. I really wasn't expecting it. When she did all of the others did too except for Cassie. With Cara actually speaking to me without my initiating  it I felt I was making headway in winning her over but Cassie was continuing to be a hard sell.

As it was my Friday night off I was anxious to leave. As it turned out, a bit too anxious as I realized I'd left the project I was working on behind. As I headed back I saw Mala leaving. I remember acknowledging her and getting a bit of a smile in return. That was progress but I kept going and was almost back to the door when she called out to me. My first reaction was not a positive one. I stopped and she walked up to me but she wasn’t looking directly at me when she said that she’d thought about my offer. When I heard that I was hoping (praying) that she’d decided to turn it down. It was clear that she was uncomfortable and I can assure you that I was too. Even though there was no one around we were standing right by the back door of the bank and I knew there would be other employees leaving and it was still daylight. I don’t remember how she started but I know that soon after she did a few of the people from the mortgage department upstairs came out the door. After seeing them I know I started blushing. Once they passed by I suggested that we wait until Monday but Mala said she’d gotten up the nerve and wanted to continue. Believe me, it was awkward.

In summary: she didn’t want Elle to get involved and for that I was thankful. I wanted to keep it simple but needed to know if she was familiar with sanitary panties and that was a difficult question to ask. I was far more embarrassed than she was because she said she wasn’t. That meant I had to describe them. The perspiration was now forming on my brow (and other places) especially when I did. I remember her just looking at me without saying anything or any expression on her face. Then I told her that Elle would wear a sanitary pad inside it and, wanting to cut the talk short, didn’t tell her that Elle had various additions that would make up her ”package“. Still looking right at me she asked if I knew where she could buy sanitary panties. That was easy as Elle had just bought some new ones around Christmas. I told her that the brand name was Kleinert’s and that the small local department store just down the street had a display of all their products. At that point she just said ”Thank you“, turned away and headed out towards Main Street. As she did I got the thought to ask her what her real name was so called out to her. I don't know why but I did. She turned and clearly said "Petra" and then continued walking away. Walking to my car I tried to assess what had just transpired... and couldn’t. Surprised that she approached me I was more concerned about what she thought about what I’d told her. I had no indication that she would follow up on it and knew there would be no way to find out if she did or didn’t. It was then that I wished that I'd followed her to see what direction she took.

To be continued... 
  

3 comments:

badside said...

Very interesting. Looks like you were slowly winning them over at the bank. Hope Mala ends up showing you her new panties!

Olesya said...

Super! Great story.

Pantymaven said...

Olesya... Thanks... :-)