Monday, April 27, 2015

CHANGES... good and bad (Part 131c)

CHANGES... good and bad (Part 131c)

The rush of blood to my nether regions also went to my head... which wasn’t good. The pounding had abated a bit but the excitement of seeing the panties had my temples pounding again... but I wasn’t about to abandon my quest. I’ll admit I was a bit disappointed in not seeing the flowered panties I’d observed on Sabrina just a short time ago. However, I was now up close to a goodly number of panties that I hoped would reveal some interesting information. I recognized a few of them as being the Carter’s ribbed cotton Spanky Pants that Elle wore. But there was a group that looked like they were also Carter’s panties but they didn’t have the familiar band leg that I was used to. They had regular elastic around the leg openings. I carefully removed a pair and, sure enough, there was the Carter’s label right in the middle of the back panel elastic. It truly was something new, at least to me. Another thing was that they all seemed to be new... crispy white with no staining in the crotch area. As usual, my mind wanted to know just where she’d gotten them.

Walking back to the house I was really curious as to why she’d worn the flowered panties that day and if she had more. My head was back to hurting really bad so after swallowing a few more aspirin I headed for the recliner in the den. When I woke up it was much later and as I looked out into the back yard I could see Sabrina’s clothes were gone. The thing was that Elle and the kids weren’t back yet and I was actually hungry. I waited until around 6pm before accepting that she wasn’t coming home to cook. After making myself a couple of peanut butter and honey sandwiches I headed back to the recliner. When the kids woke me it was after 8pm. I heard Elle calling them from upstairs to get ready for bed. I fully expected to see her come down the stairs once they were there but she never did. That was when I recognized that it had become a matter of principal for her. I knew I’d been wrong but, being naturally stubborn, wasn’t going to cave in... at least not yet.

The silent treatment continued the next morning. There were some words spoken about what to tell her mother about Kaye’s medications but that was all. By then I knew it was going to take something monumental to get her attention. It had been a long time since I’d looked at our ”want/need“ list. Right on top of the ”want“ side was the same item that had been there since before we bought the house... a pressure cooker. There was a reason for that. I wanted no part of one even though Elle’s mother had used one for over 25 years. My fear came from having seen my mother’s cousin who’d been scalded by one as a young woman. I think I was about 4 or 5 years old when I saw the scars on her face and it left a lasting impression. We’d discussed it any number of times and the last time we did I was about to agree to it... but didn’t. So... I figured that would be as good an ice breaker as any.

As I looked at the rest of the list I also saw the last item on the want list was a lawn swing. For Mother’s Day I’d given her an ”IOU“ in her card. My usual gift to her had been clothes but with her teaching on a full time basis she was too occupied to take the time so we’d agreed to wait until school was over. But, the lawn swing had never been discussed and here it was, on the list, and with the page from the Sears catalog tucked under the last page. I was about to put the list back in the drawer when I decided to take the page with me.

I knew my first priority at work was to find a replacement for Jerene. What I didn’t expect was to see Katie, the drive-up window teller, waiting by my desk. She didn’t waste any time letting me know she wanted to go into Jerene’s place. In my mind that was not an option. She’d been pressed into service a few times and it hadn’t gone well. She had a tendency to get flustered when there were multiple people in line. At the drive-up she could only see the car in front of her window and she was fine. But, I wasn’t ready to discuss the matter with her at that time.

No sooner had she walked away and there appeared Laura with an obvious problem in her hands. When Jerene’s last pay check had been cut on Friday the $40 she’d taken was deleted from her net pay. However, Jerene’s cash box was still missing the $40 and accounting had to get the matter squared away. I took the papers that Laura had and headed up the stairs to the accounting department. Bette was on the phone and as I stood waiting for her, Janet, the woman I’d hired to replace the accounting clerk who’d decided to retire, walked up to me with a frown saying that we needed to talk. Here it was only a little after 9am and I’d already been ”attacked“ with three problems.

I got the money problem fixed with Bette and as I was about to leave her desk she told me that the clerk who was going to retire had changed her mind. When she announced it she agreed to stay to teach her replacement the job. But, in the process decided that she liked the job too much to leave. That gave me a pretty good clue as to just what Janet’s problem was. But... I was wrong... at least partly wrong.

When I got Janet aside she told me that she’d been overheard complaining about the lack of direct training she was receiving and that J J had approached her about working for him. I have no idea what my facial expression was like after hearing that... but I do remember being mad. J J just had a way to stick his nose into things he had no business in. As I’ve written in prior posts, J J had been lobbying for a ”floater clerk“. Whereas Hobie oversaw my area, Bert, the president, oversaw the whole mortgage area and he’d not approved any additional hiring. J J, by approaching different employees and offering a position he didn’t have, was creating a bit of turmoil. When Janice told me I almost got up and charged into J J’s office... but Janice, seeing my agitation, said she wanted a job that she could wrap her hands around. It was more of a way to diffuse the situation when I said that I had a teller’s position available. I wasn’t expecting any kind of an answer, especially when she smiled and said ”Why not?“

She hadn’t put it on her resume but, when still in high school, she’d been a cashier at her parent’s diner during Summers and on weekends. I ended up telling her that I’d be back to her because there were ”moving pieces“ that had to be addressed. During the examination that had just been completed the lead examiner had indicated that her final report would strongly suggest that the bank hire additional help in the accounting area. Janet was already there but obviously dissatisfied. To be safe I felt that I better talk with Hobie and, possibly, Bert.

The earliest Hobie would be free was after lunch and he was taking a late one. Bret took the early one leaving me to go at 12:30pm. My first stop was the appliance store where I’d seen pressure cookers displayed ever since we’d moved back to the area. Ironically, there was a street that ended right there at Main Street. Going North on it a little over two blocks was the school where Elle was teaching. Looking at the box in my hands I decided that I’d walk up there and put it in the station wagon so she’d find it when it came time to go home. I’d originally wanted to see her face when she saw it but, under the circumstances, thought this to be a better idea.

To be continued...
          

No comments: