Tuesday, April 14, 2015

INTERESTING TIMES... A change of pace (Part 130k)

INTERESTING TIMES... A change of pace (Part 139k)

It wasn’t the lady who was the head examiner but it was the examiner who’d spoken at length with me about our bookkeeping machine (computer). When I saw him my heart sank. I thought for sure that he’d told Bert about my ”editorial“ concerning my fears as to what might happen if our existing accounting machine broke down and the lack of action by the Board. So, I was expecting a bit of ”heat“ but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Bert asked me if there were any applications in the file with people that had some accounting background. Of course I didn’t have an answer so he instructed me to peruse the applications and get right back to him. I thought that issue had been taken care of with the hiring of the new person, Janice, so was a bit confused. As far as I knew she was still expected to start on Wednesday. As I stood up to leave he asked if I’d brought the information on the service bureaus and held out his hand for the material. I didn’t tarry long as I passed Lena’s desk and headed back downstairs. J J had seen me waiting to go in to see Bert so stopped me as I passed by his office wanting to know what was up. I was in no mood to gossip with him and brushed him off taking the stairs, two at a time.

By the time I got to Trish’s desk my head was spinning with questions. She knew me well enough by then to know I was somewhat troubled. I asked if she’d heard anything in the way of news about Janice... if she had changed her mind. I remember her sitting there somewhat surprised at my question. I told her what had just transpired in Bert’s office and told her I had no idea why he possibly wanted another person in accounting. Now we were both puzzled.

Even though I’ve only mentioned the ”Polish Mafia’ as being down on the first floor, there were “tentacles” of it existing on the second floor as well. Anyone with any Polish in their blood was kept up to date regardless of department or floor. Trish went into immediate action and made a couple of inquiries to her contacts upstairs. It only took a few minutes to find out what was supposedly happening. One of the two clerks in the accounting department had decided to hand in her resignation and retire. Supposedly, she’d talked it over with her husband over the weekend and with the upcoming changes had decided that it was a good time to leave. After Trish told me I remember looking at her and making some facial expressions along with some hand and shoulder movements to indicate that I questioned the validity of the reason. She gave me almost the same response.

A quick perusal of the application file didn’t turn up anyone remotely qualified. Bert had told me to get right back to him but I knew I’d have to go through Lena regardless if I called him by phone or went in person. By then I was ready for the day to end so I decided that the phone would prove the least embarrassing method. As soon as Lena heard my voice I could hear a change in the tone of her voice. I could imagine her with a smirky smile as she rang in to Bert. When told of my findings he didn’t say anything to confirm what Trish had been told. So, as the day ended I was sort of left hanging without any resolution to any of the things that had transpired during the day.

Word got out that the examiners were leaving on Wednesday. Hobie, when he told me, said that the lady in charge was to meet with the three Board members who made up the “Examining Committee” ( another fee collecting farce) to give a preliminary overview of their findings and recommendations prior to the scheduled mortgage committee meeting. Then, the formal written report would follow in a few weeks and that’s when the bank would have to take definitive actions. Until then it was to be business as normal.

Janice arrived as promised on Wednesday. I got all her paperwork processed before taking her upstairs to Betts and the other two ladies who made up the accounting department. I knew J J would be right on top of the situation even though I didn’t think that she would be his “type”. She impressed me as being much more mature than some of the other women her age and less likely to listen to his “baloney”. I didn’t get past his office door before he was out and introducing himself with all his Irish charm. By then the word was out that one of the clerks would be retiring at the end of the month so transitioning Janice into the department without creating “waves” was made somewhat easier. However, I knew that once the examination report was received that another employee would need to be added. I hoped that “lightning“ would strike twice and another qualified applicant would just walk through the front door before then.

I consciously avoided Lena the rest of the week. In bed, at night, I tried to figure the woman out. As I’ve posted a few times before, she was not unattractive but she made no attempt to make herself be more than plain. She kept her hair short and straight and wore horn rimmed glasses... a stereotypical old maid schoolteacher look. Her clothes were modestly fashionable but as far as anyone knew, she had never had a steady boyfriend. On the few occasions that I’d had close contact with her I found myself somewhat uncomfortable, especially at the retirement party for the president that had preceded Bert. She’d had too much to drink and, in my mind, had come on to me. In the incident where I’d inadvertently walked into the ladies room while she was partially undressed she’d been ”playfully coy“ afterwards. There had been some minor repartee from time to time but I honestly hadn’t feel like I’d been targeted by her but this latest incident bothered me. By the weekend I decided that she was just having some fun with me and that I shouldn’t take it too seriously... at least that's what I hoped.

When it came time to hitch up the racecar to head for the race track on Saturday afternnoon I wasn’t all that optimistic. ”B“, as much as I liked him as a friend, was, in my mind, never going to make a racecar driver. I’d had all kinds of hope as we put the car and motor together during the Winter but his first few foray’s on the track had been a major disappointment... not only to me but also Tom, Martin and Pete. I’d heard from Tom during the week that he might not be going on Saturday night and his excuse seemed a bit flimsy. However, there was nothing I could do but show up at the barn Saturday and wait to see who showed up.

The LAST person I expected was Sabrina. She and Martin walked in together. Pete and Bebe were already there so I let them do their own introductions as I brought ”B“ up to speed. He was mildly surprised and told me that Martin had told him he’d sworn off girls after a few bad experiences. After Sabrina had been introduced to ”B“ and they had walked away ”B“ gave me one of those ”looks“ of disbelief. Her lisp and baby talk were off putting, especially hearing it the first time and "B" stood there shaking his head.

The women decided that they wanted to ride with Pete and Martin so they could get to know each other. ”B“ drove with me in my car as we towed the racecar. In a way it was good so that I could, again, try to persuade ”B“ to be more aggressive on the track. He claimed he was but somehow our conversation led hi to remember him that he hadn’t had much in the way of brakes the week before. I didn’t tell him what I’d done (back them way off) but told him I’d take a look at them before he went out on the track. At that point my ”plan“ was to tighten them back up for practice and then back them off again for the qualifying race. It wasn’t a nice thing to do but, as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

Interesting situation at work with Lena, and all the other things going on. Sounds like JJ was getting ready to strike again, I'm surprised one of the other girls at work didn't make a fuss.

Hope Big B can turn up the heat a little on the next race.

Pantymaven said...

As someone once said... "Life is complicated..."