Thursday, April 16, 2015

INTERESTING TIMES... A change of Pace (Part 130l)

INTERESTING TIMES... A change of pace (Part 130l)

As I readjusted the brakes on the car I couldn’t help but wonder how Martin persuaded Sabrina to join him for the races. From all that I’d gathered about her she was from at least an upper middle class family and, as I’d observed, not very aware of the real world around her. Car racing, at least at this level, was definitely ”low class“. As time permitted I tried to observe her as she chatted with Bebe. Bebe probably would have been placed in the lower middle class and had nothing more than a high school education. When she worked it was as a waitress in her parents restaurant. I just couldn’t fathom what they could possibly share in common but there they were sitting on the front fender of Pete’s car. Bebe had learned her lesson about wearing white at the racetrack and was wearing dungarees (now called jeans) while Sabrina had on a pair of flowered slacks. Of course I was disappointed that I’d not be getting any VPL’s.

For all intents and purposes this was Memorial day weekend and, as tradition held it, a big weekend for auto racing. For the faster cars the schedule called for a longer than usual race and for more money. That always brought more cars into the pits and meant less time for practice for the less powerful cars like ours and we were told there would only be one session. I got the brakes adjusted and sent ”B“ out onto the track imploring him not to use them unless there was trouble, like a wreck, ahead of him. It was of no use as I could clearly see the car slow noticeably just before getting into the turns. After he came off the track and exited the car I sent him over to where they posted the starting lineups so I could back the brakes off again. I had the distinct feeling I was wasting my time.

In ”B’s“ qualifying race the only thing different this week was that there was a big crash taking out a lot of cars. When the race restarted ”B“ was in a qualifying position. That only lasted until all the surviving cars reached the backstretch. It was painfully clear that he was totally out of his element on a racetrack. For the non-qualifiers race he actually started near the middle of the pack. In retrospect, it was funny watching him get hit from all sides. He lasted all of two laps before pulling into the infield. No one dared say anything as he complained that there was something definitely wrong with the car. We all knew what it was... it was ”B“ himself.

In spite of it being a special race for the faster cars everybody (except me) wanted to leave. Martin wanted to go to a bar with Sabrina and Pete wanted to do do ??? with Bebe. Since I was driving (and towing the racecar) I told ”B“ if he wanted to leave he should go with the others. He stayed but wasn’t talking. I don’t think he said more than a dozen words from that time until we unhitched the racecar back at the barn. As I drove home from there I wondered if her would even try anymore.

Monday was Jean’s 9th birthday. With the next day being Memorial Day (we still celebrated it on the traditional day back then) Elle and I’d decided to hold her birthday party on that day since everybody would be off from school. There was always a parade on Memorial Day but the three villages in our township took turns and it was our turn. Elle had her Brownie troop were part of it so we all had to go and watch. The high school marching band and twirlers always led the parade with the veteran’s following behind them. It was always the same... except this year. Because Elle was in it I was right at the staging area as the the parade was about to start. The drum majorette, a fairly pretty girl, had arrived late and hadn’t had a chance to practice. I was watching her as she flipped the baton up in the air when the signal to start was given. She didn’t catch it and as it fell it bounced away from her. She went running after it and as she did I thought I saw some white appear from under the hem of her uniform skirt. What I expected to see was a golden color as the school colors were blue and gold. When she caught up with it she bent over at the waist and, sure enough, what I saw was white... complete with a half moon shaped crotch line. It was for only a few seconds but it made a memorable morning out of what was promising to be very boring. As an aside: I didn’t say anything and it appeared that no one else saw it as she continued on down Main Street, happily flipping the baton. I don’t know if she dropped it again but I’d seen what I wanted to see.

Jean’s big present was a full size bicycle. That kept her busy as Elle and I got things ready for the party. We’d borrowed another picnic table and set it up with the one we had out in the back yard along with some games for her guests to play. I was looking forward to the gathering as it had been a while since the weather had been warm enough for shorts. I hadn’t seen much of Sandy since the miscarriage and I was looking forward to her being there to help Elle with the kids. Ginger had a family affair to go to so she was going to be missing along with two of her kids. Aurelia said she’d be there but would be late as would Nanci. Elle, because she wore ”dribble panties“ all week for teaching, looked forward to wearing regular panties on the weekend when she was home. I liked that too especially when she wore slacks or shorts that would give evidence of a VPL and she did on that afternoon.

The first guests arrived around 2pm. I’m not sure how many kids were there but there were a lot. It’s not funny but it always amazed me as to how badly some kids behaved when their parents weren’t present. I wanted to step in a few times but was afraid to "step on toes" so was glad that Sandy was there to keep the peace. By her getting involved it afforded me some good rear end views which included a very good DP. That confirmed to me that she was, indeed, wearing her dribble panties. Since Elle and I’d made them up for her I was intimately familiar with the waist band elastic. As strange as it may seem, it always excited me to see it even if I’d seen it many times before.

Things with the kids calmed down a bit with the arrival of the other two ladies. Nanci had a bit of ”news“ in that she’d heard that the school board had called a special meeting for the next day. Without Ginger there to confirm it all I could do was to wonder what it was for. I was heading back into the house to get some more lemonade when I saw Sabrina pop her head through the opening in the hedge. I could see she had a present of some kind in her hand and immediately thought that it was a nice gesture, especially since she, Elle and I would most likely have been described as acquaintances. But, the real surprise was in seeing Martin follow her through the opening. My first thought was that he was really getting serious about Sabrina since he had to make a special trip, just for the day. I really hoped he knew what he was getting in to.

To be continued...       

1 comment:

badside said...

Sounds like a memorable Memorial Day, pun intended! ;^) Still hoping B picks up the pace at some point.