Thursday, October 08, 2015

BACK TO WORK... surprises & changes (Part 137b)

BACK TO WORK... surprises & changes (Part 137b)

I’d made no progress on attacking the mail on my desk and was about to begin when Trish walked up to tell me that Fran, the girl who had been working on the files in the basement, had called in and told her that she wasn’t coming back. In the order of importance that was down at the bottom. I was disappointed because I liked her and she was just staring to make a noticeable ‘dent’ in the piles of materials stacked in basement. But, she didn’t walk away after giving me that news. She went on to add that Bette, the lady who ran the accounting area, wanted to see me. The only thing she would want to see me about would be if there was someone leaving from her area. At that moment it wasn’t something I wanted or needed so I put it in the back of my mind figuring I could follow up on it after the doors closed at 3pm.

Trish was away from her desk as was Bret when this rather tall redheaded woman came up the gate. Normally, in Trish’s absence Bret would go and ask if he could help. Reluctantly, I got up and went over to her. She had a passbook in her hand and wanted help in changing the names on it. For the most part it was something that an experienced teller could do but, needing a break from what I was doing, invited her in. She seemed a bit agitated so I asked if she was OK. She gave me a weak smile and said she hoped so and then told me she wanted the passbook to reflect only her name. I looked at it and saw both a man’s name along with that of a woman and asked if she was the woman. She nodded and then I could see tears start running down her cheek. As I written before, I just can’t handle female tears. I just never know what to say but, in this case I didn’t have to say anything.

The name of the female in the passbook read “Moira” and I recognized it as an Irish name. My mother’s mother was from Ireland and had a cousin named Moira. I looked at her red hair and it made sense. Add the freckles and I was almost sure so asked her if she was Irish. That was enough to at least stop most of the tears and make her start to smile. Then she started talking... a mile a minute. She talked for at least three minutes and it seemed like she did it without taking a breath. I learned that she was born and raised in the city. Both her parents were born in Ireland and had come to the USA during the depression. Married right after high school, she had two teen aged children; a boy 17 and a girl 16. Her husband had been in the Air Force and had recently gotten out... and then packed up and left her and the kids. Then the tears started again.

She’d stated that she wanted the man’s name off the account and I felt the best way to handle it was to close it out and open a new one in her name only. As a joint owner she had the right to all the money and by doing it this way, the old account was ‘dead’. I went to get the materials for  the new account and by the time I returned she’d composed herself. As she filled out the paperwork I took a close look at her. I really have a hard time describing my opinion of her looks... not pretty... not cute... but ‘interesting’. We made some small talk as Cara opened the account and when Cara brought the passbook over to her the woman sighed. I asked again if she was OK and she looked straight at me and said the money represented in the passbook was basically all she had. Then she stood up and said that she better start looking for a job. Never one to miss an opportunity to have someone fill out an application, I turned her over to Trish but with a few words of warning...  that we really didn’t have any vacancies.

I went back to the mail and was making progress when I saw Bette approaching my desk. Bette was around 50 and had been with the Bank over 25 years. Normally quiet and pleasant, she was anything but as she started speaking, calling me out for not getting back to her. There was nothing for me to say because it was true. I remember taking a deep breath which seemed to anger her even more. There were more less than pleasant words before she stated that Edwina, her assistant (and sister) was going to retire and she needed a replacement... and she wanted Janet back.

If you go back to part 131 you’ll see that was where Janet had been hired to replace a clerk in the accounting department. It didn’t work out and I wasn’t sure as to what to  do with her, But... that was also the same time that Jerene, a teller, had been fired and I needed a replacement. Janet had no teller experience but was a college graduate and was a very sharp woman. I felt that she could grasp the nuances of the position and she did. Now, Bette wanted her back. Janet had survived her first ‘busy period’ without any problems and I was pleased with both her work and attitude. When Bette almost demanded that I give her back I told her, flatly, “NO!” She’d upset me with her ‘attack’ so I told her I’d be able to review the application file on Wednesday... and was very firm about it. I remember her standing in front of my desk with her arms folded just staring at me. Thankfully, Hobie had already gone for the day. She and Hobie had worked closely together for quite a few years and I knew that if he were around she would’ve gone right to him. Knowing that he wouldn’t be in the next day and would be with me made me smile... inwardly.

It had been a long day by the time I got home. I’d actually forgotten that Elle had called about the workmen next door until I got out of my car. I asked if she knew what progress had been made art Sabrina’s house and she said she knew the tree had been cut up and removed but wasn’t sure about the house. I asked about the workmen wanting to use the bathroom and she laughed. She told me that they were so “scruffy” that even I wouldn’t have let them in. I asked about Sabrina and she just shrugged her shoulders. Then I remembered that Bebe’s clothes were in the house and asked if she'd been able to get in to retrieve some of them. Her answer was that she’d gotten some but not all and added that Bebe was sure Sabrina would be back in a few days. As I headed upstairs to get out of my suit I knew I’d be taking a ‘side trip’ into the room where Bebe had been sleeping.

To be continued...

No comments: