Monday, January 18, 2016

CONTINUING... surprises & changes (Part 139q)

CONTINUING... surprises & changes (Part 139q)

My reaction to the news wasn’t surprise or disappointment. I really don’t know how to describe it. I did ask Bret if the bank had hired her even though I was sure they hadn’t. The four County banks had an unwritten understanding that they wouldn’t hire any employee from another bank while still employed. I do remember standing there looking at Bret for a few seconds before asking if he minded me calling his friend to get some more information. He just shrugged his shoulders as I picked up Hobie's phone. I asked Bret for the number and dialed it while he stood there.

The man was just about to leave work when he answered. The main question I wanted him to answer was what had Gina told him was the reason for wanting to change employers. We exchanged greetings and I cut right to the point. He said she’d told him it was to be closer to her home as she had a daughter with health problems. Then, he asked me if it was true. When I said it was I asked him his impression of Gina. He responded that her experience was impressive but that they had no teller openings at the time. It was about that time that Bret was called to count the cash boxes and to lock the vault leaving me alone. As I write this I’m going to say that it was probably a guilty conscience that made me continue with the man. Without going into detail I told him that Gina was a prime candidate for a head teller’s position and that she was underutilized and underpaid as a teller. I went on to say that if they had need for a head teller that we (the bank) would give her the highest reccomendation. There was silence on the phone. I remember even asking if he was still there. Finally he spoke and half jokingly asked if we had a spy planted in his bank. I had no idea what he was talking about and told him so. He then asked if I had a few minutes more to spare. I said I did and proceeded to sit down in Hobie’s chair.

The story he told was that their long term head teller was retiring as of January 1st. The problem was that they had experienced a lot of turnover on the teller line in the past year and the longest tenured one had only ten month’s experience. He went on that because of that there was major concern about filling the position from within. As I listened to this my mind was racing 100 miles an hour. The position was perfect for Gina and I was trying to figure a way to be a facilitator in getting it to work. They weren’t going to need to fill the position for at least 3 months and I didn’t want to have Gina leave for a lesser position with another bank in the meantime. I spoke up to say that if he was the least bit interested that I could tell her and give her time to go back for another interview. Now it was his turn to ask a hard question... why would I do that? So... I aired some of our bank’s ‘dirty laundry’ telling him that she’d been passed over for promotion because the position had been filled by long time employee who had no experience but had achieved ‘favored’ status by senior management. I continued on by saying that I felt it was wrong but could do nothing to change the situation. After a brief pause he said that he’d like to talk with her again. I know I let out a big sigh when I heard that. I told him I’d be back in touch the next day. Now, I had to tell Gina.

I looked up to see the employees leaving and remember cursing. I wanted to get to Gina as soon as I could and now figured I’d have to wait until the next day... and until the end of it as well. To discuss something like this needed to be done in private. I decided to head to the back door anyway hoping against hope that I might see her as she crossed the street to the public parking lot. But, there was no sign of her. It was Hank, the messenger/custodian who manned the door, who asked who I was looking for. I told him it was Gina and he shook his head saying she hadn’t yet come by. When I turned to head back into the lobby I basically ran her over. I don’t remember exactly what I said because it was such a surprise to run into her like that. We sort of ‘danced’ a bit trying to untangle ourselves. She’d been in the ladies room changing her clothes and changed into shorts and a tank top. She’d pinned her hair back behind her ears and it was a completely different look for her.

Finally I spoke and asked if she had a moment. The look on her face said she didn’t but she answered ”Yes...“.  From the time I’d talked with the man at the other bank until then I’d not had any time to figure out what I was going to say to her but I knew it had to be in private. There were still people leaving and Bret was at his desk working on a report I needed so I told her it was important and private so we couldn’t do it there. She asked where we should go and if it would be long. I’ve always been a pretty quick thinker so I suggested the bowling alley just down the road. Her facial expression quickly changed to one of ”You’ve got to be kidding...“. I continued that it was on her way home and it would give us privacy. It was obvious she wasn’t buying it so I emphasized the importance. By the time she agreed I’d become concerned with the fact that so many people had walked past us so told her to go on ahead and I’d be there in a few minutes. With a bit of a scowl on her brow she headed out the door.

It took about 10 minutes to get there. Gina was leaning beside her car, an ugly dark colored Dodge Dart. I pulled up along side and as I got out I looked out at the lake that was just behind the alleys. Back when I lived in the mobile home it was where Elle, the kids and I’d sometimes go for swimming. I knew the owner of the alleys from back when I was still racing the horses and he let us use his access to the water. Gina’s body language gave off the message that this better be good.

I went over everything I’ve just written with her and as I did I watched her facial expression change from doubt to utter surprise. I emphasized her need to get in touch with the man and to set up a real interview and that when she did I’d OK her absence. She, naturally, had questions and some couldn’t be answered right then and there. When I was about through she looked at me and asked why had I done this for her. It was a bit awkward for me but ended up telling her that I firmly believed that she deserved to have been given the chief clerk’s position and this was the best I could do to rectify the situation. It was about then that she realized just what an opportunity this was for her and the next thing I knew she had her arms wrapped around me for a hug. All I heard was ”Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!’ she she bounced up and down in front of me.

As we made ready to leave the parking lot I reminded her that there was a lot of time  before it it would come to fruition and, most importantly, she was not to mention it to anybody in the bank. The smile across her face was compelling and when she said she promised I believed her.

To be continued...

2 comments:

oldblue said...

Good for you and I hope this is not a no good deed goes unpunished moment. Just been lurking and no comments doesn't mean I have not been enjoying to the fullest. Have not had time too much company.

Pantymaven said...

OB... Good to hear from you. Thanks for the support!