Saturday, April 30, 2016

AUTUMN... now the changes (Part 143a)

AUTUMN... now the changes (Part 143a)

Even though there were still 2 days left in the ‘busy period’, lobby traffic had dropped off a lot. After the rush when the doors opened things slowed down enough for me to leave my desk and make the trip upstairs to see Moira. Because she was in a room all by herself I wasn’t that concerned about talking with her on personal stuff. When I told her that she’d have her car back by Wednesday afternoon she just sat there with her eyes wide open in total disbelief... and unable to say a word... for about 30 seconds. Then the look changed and the words started. “How can that be? You told me it was junk! You’ve got to be kidding! But I can’t pay for it!” (These aren’t her actual words but they represent her thoughts at the time) I tried to calm her down so that other workers in her department wouldn’t get involved. Somebody came to the doorway and I waved them away. It took a few minutes but I was finally able to explain what had happened and, as much as I hated to do it, told her I was paying for it. I remember, clearly, her reaction and it was the one thing I didn’t want... tears.

At that point I told her I’d see her later and as I exited the room stopped by Bette’s (her supervisor) desk to explain the situation. I won’t say she was disinterested but I couldn’t get a ‘feel’ for what she was thinking. I just hoped she wasn’t mad that I’d gotten Moira upset and took her away from her assignment. Seeing Joanie on my way back reminded me of the panties I given Laura for Joanie. I decided to make a point to catch up with Laura at some time before the end of the day. I’d  come up with a new idea as far as Laura having an answer if Joanie asked where she’d gotten them. I wasn’t crazy about what we’d originally planned and wanted to run the new idea by her.

When I got back to my desk there was a note right in the middle of it... “Call Albie!” with the telephone number under his name. It turned out to be really good news. The service bureau had come up with a solution to the name and address problem where we wouldn’t have to give up the addressograph plates for them to process. I didn’t get details but somehow I got the distinct impression that our staff might be the ones to do it. Albie had mentioned that they might be able to loan us a teller machine or two to make the entries. He said he’d work on it some more but he wanted to let me (the bank) know we wouldn’t have to give up control of the plates. It was a big relief!

Hobie got called upstairs to see Bert (the president) right before noon and was gone right through his normal lunch. If there was one thing that you could count on was seeing Hobie going out the door right after the noon siren went off so I knew it was something important. As curious as I was I just wouldn’t ask him, hoping that he’d share whatever it was about but he didn't. Laura and Joanie had gotten into the habit of going to lunch together but I noticed Joanie going out the back door by herself. A few minutes later Laura headed for the front door so I called her over. We were the only ones in the ‘platform’ area so I took advantage of it.

I asked her if she still had the envelope with the panties and she said she had hidden it in a suitcase. I’d come up with the idea of getting out one of the SansSoucie boxes as well as six pair still with the price tags attached from my 'stash'.. I told her that it might take a few days to get it done knowing Elle would have to be out of the house to do it. I pretty much knew Laura would go along with whatever I came up with but wasn’t expecting her to ask what she was to do with the panties in the envelope. I shrugged my shoulders, smiled and told her they were now hers. She gave me one of those coy smiles but didn’t say anything so I  took it to mean that she’d keep them. That made me happy in knowing that she’d have enough to be wearing them each and every day I’d see her.

Hobie was forthcoming with me upon his return from eating. The branch bank subcommittee had received the architect’s plans for the interior of the new branch building and wanted a special Board meeting to present them to the members. I’d let my concerns about the new branch slide from my everyday thoughts but upon hearing that there were now formal plans I asked Hobie if he’d had any input. When we'd first heard about the possibility of a branch we talked about things that we felt were needed as far as the work (teller’s) area was concerned. All he could tell me was that he’d see the plans on Wednesday and showed a look of disgust on his face when he did.

Arriving back from my lunch I found a small envelope on the seat of my chair. Opening it I saw a big I O U handwritten on the top of an index card with fifty dollars written in script below it. It was signed “Moira”. That was the last thing I was worried about at that time but it was nice to know of her appreciation for my effort. I decided to give James a call to see how he was coming on the ‘deal’. He picked the phone up on the first ring and laughed. He said he was reaching for the phone to let me know he had the motor, a 1954 with around 60,000 miles on it. He’d heard it run and said it was “good”. He also mentioned that by the time the car would be ready on Wednesday that he’d change the oil and do a tune up (plugs & points). That was more than I’d bargained for. The one thing that I wasn’t expecting was for him to ask when Peggy could have her interview. All I could think of to answer was my grandfather’s old saying “First things first”. Thankfully, James didn’t say anything more.

With all the things going on in my world I’d completely overlooked the fact that Columbus day was on Thursday and the bank would be closed. Bret was the one who brought it to my attention. That was the best news of the day because, by then, I needed a day off. Just before 5pm I saw Moira headed for the front door to catch her bus. She motioned for me to follow her outside and, somewhat reluctantly, I did. Just beyond the front doors she threw her arms around me and gave me a big hug. I didn’t know how to react but she quickly let go and ran off to the bus stop so I didn’t have to worry about it... then.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

$50?! What a deal! I imagine 60,000 was getting to the edge of fairly high mileage then, since engines went 100,000 or so. I rebuilt an Olds Rocket V8 in high school.

Pantymaven said...

BS... and that was for the labor. I'm smiling in reading about your experience with the Rocket 88 as I used the first of the 400 cu in Rockets in one of my race cars (1969)