Sunday, April 24, 2016

AUTUMN... preparing for changes (Part 142j)

AUTUMN... preparing for changes (Part 142j)

My anticipated end result for the night actually came to fruition. What was like the ‘icing on the cake’ was that Elle was receptive to a little ‘morning delight” as the kids slept in. While cleaning up afterwards I asked about what Barbara had called her aside to talk about the previous evening. She was a bit reluctant to say anything but, without pushing too hard, I got her to tell me that Barbara had fallen asleep and “had a slight accident”. Before I could comment she added that it had happened in my reclining chair. I quickly put the scene together and realized that she’d wet herself but the chair she was in was vinyl covered so there was no damage or evidence. Discretion came into play and I didn’t say anything but stored the information into memory. 

Elle’s good mood continued on through the weekend and I was definitely the beneficiary. I had to control myself so as to not push my luck. To cap it off Elle got a call to come in to teach on Monday. It wasn’t from the local school but the one she’d substituted at when we still lived in the mobile home. In spite of the fact that she’d have to leave earlier in the morning she was excited because she’d get to see some of her old compatriots. At about that same time I started thinking about the problem I would be facing at work... having to figure out how to get the name and address files converted over to the computer at the service bureau. By the time I went to bed I hadn’t come up up with a plan and could only hope that Albie, at the service bureau, would have one in the morning.

On Friday, I’d been able to get the panties that Laura had requested for Joanie out from my ‘stash’ but didn’t have the opportunity to see her and get them to her. It was the last day of the month, and quarter, and the accounting department had to close out the ‘books’. To do that they had to balance. A discrepancy had been discovered but not found which caused the audit department to be called upstairs. Somehow I missed seeing her leave so I still had to transfer them to her. I’d put them in a large manila envelope and had it in my briefcase. Driving to work I allowed myself to daydream a bit and wondered if I’d ever get to see proof of Joanie wearing them. Realistically, with Joanie working upstairs and me downstairs, I knew I’d have to be lucky if it happened.

I hadn’t even made it to my desk when the phone rang. I hoped it would be Albie but it was Laura. I looked towards her desk and saw no one, not even her boss, Liz. She said she was still working upstairs and apologized for not calling me on Friday. I asked if she could find time to see me. She said she’d probably be working late and could do it if I was still at my desk. I told her I’d wait.

When Albie finally called he said he was working on a solution but wasn’t prepared to elucidate. I expressed concern but he said not to worry, since now that there was a contract it was their problem. That good news allowed me to focus on handling some customers, and there were plenty of them. Way in the back of my mind had been the fact that Robby, the guy who'd been the bank’s service man for our teller equipment, had moved on. He’d told me that if we were really in a bind that he’d help us out but he also told me that he’d try to introduce me to the new representative and he hadn’t.

Around 2pm I saw Cara, the first teller on the line, struggling a bit so got up to see what was wrong. She’d put a passbook into the machine so the transaction would be posted and she couldn’t get it back out. Since it was basically out of commission it meant we were now two tellers short since they shared a machine and with a lobby full of people. I called in for service and was told there would be a man there at 9am the next morning... not what I wanted to hear. I was spoiled in that in the past Robby would stop by on his way home to at least survey the situation. Looking around I saw Lillian, the drive-up window teller, hustling across the floor to check on a signature. It reminded me that she was the only one using the machine at the drive up so told Cara and Corrine to process their transactions at her machine. I knew it’d be a nightmare to sort out at closing time but it was the only way to get out of a bad situation and keep the lobby traffic moving. As it turned out it was the perfect way to get together with Laura.

The last customer left the lobby around 3:30pm and I knew it would be late in getting the staff out and on their way home. With the problem of proving up that I just mentioned facing us I asked Hobie to intervene and to get Laura released from working on the accounting problem (there was window of time for us to file the necessary reports with the banking authorities) and he did. As soon as I saw Laura I gave her a smile and got one back. I was working with Cara trying to sort out the mixed transactions when Laura came up to help. Before I could say anything she, in a whisper, asked if I could give her a ride to Joanie’s when we were finished. It was perfect!  It was after 5:30pm when I called Elle to let her know I’d be late and it ended up being after 6pm when we finally struck a proof. I’d managed to tell Laura to find something to do for a few minutes while I cleared off my desk. I dawdled a bit to let all the others leave so it would be just Laura and I.

When I finally called her over to my desk I wanted to give her the envelope with the panties. I fully expected her to be looking for them so when I pulled the package out and handed it to her she looked a bit puzzled. I told her to go ahead and open it and when she did and pulled some of the panties out she immediately blushed to a bright pink. It made me wonder if I’d screwed up. It was clear that she was embarrassed. Now it was my turn to be puzzled and a bit embarrassed. So... I asked her why she was embarrassed. She didn't answer. I’m sure it was me who spoke first and asked if they weren’t what she wanted and if they weren’t the same as the ones she was wearing.  After hesitating for a few seconds I saw her head nod affirmatively and I clearly remember her then shrugging her shoulders but not answering. I don’t know why but I felt I had to ask her to take a close look at the pair she had in her hands to make sure they were the right size. I knew they were because they were from the same box that I’d given her just months earlier. A vision I’ll never forget was her holding a pair up in front of her and then looking at me with a sheepish smile when she, again, nodded a ‘yes’. I pretty much knew I'd ‘pushed’ the issue so stood up and grabbed my briefcase. She stuffed the pair she had in her hands back into the envelope. Nothing more was said as we walked to my car.

To be continued...

3 comments:

badside said...

That's so cute, Laura's reaction to the panties! Seems odd that James would feel the need to offer a favor in return for consideration of a job for Peggy. Would have thought he knew you well enough that he could just ask you to keep her in mind. So many interesting threads in this story!

Pantymaven said...

BS... It was complicated... and the story continues...

Anonymous said...

I guess it's good you have vinyl covering on furniture at your place! :)
I would have loved a job delivering panties in Manila envelopes... Great reaction to picture...
sara