Sunday, May 22, 2016

AUTUMN... now the chages (Part143j)

AUTUMN... now the changes (Part 143j)

However, I had to find a place to hide the panties. After rummaging around I found a small box in one of the trash barrels. I stuffed the panties into it and set it aside.  I knew the only one who would be going in there was Ward, the cleaning man, and that wouldn’t be until 6pm and I’d have picked it up by then and, hopefully, be home. By the time I got back to my desk there were two messages for me. One was about the applicant for Hank’s job, Mike. I was really hoping the ‘word’ about him was good  because I really wanted my ‘world’ to return to some semblance of normalcy. I saw the number to call was located in the city and as soon as I heard the voice I knew. The man was the dispatcher for a small trucking firm that operated in and around the city. It only took a few words to hear what I wanted to hear... the guy would be willing to hire Mike back.

The other message was from the phone company. That bothered me. I’d been forewarned by both Bruce and Albie from the service center that dealing with them was a crapshoot... that you couldn’t count on them to meet dates and deadlines they themselves would give you to do the work you ordered. I was counting on them to activate the two data packs by the end of the week so that we could get started with training and get the name and address file embedded at the service center. I was really nervous as I dialed the number on the note. I was actually holding my breath when I identified myself. Then, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard this woman tell me that there was a problem with our order. It was something about a switch that needed to be installed and activated before we could be operational. I had no idea what she was talking about and thought it was something we had to have on site. It took a few tries for her to explain it to me and after she did I didn't fully comprehend what she'd told me. I was not a happy camper!

It turned out that the bank was going to be the first user of data services in the area. The phone company wasn’t really prepared for it and had to install some kind of a switch at a key point in their network of lines before we’d be able to transmit data. I realized that the lady was only the messenger so didn’t ‘explode’ on her... but, I wanted to. When I called the service center I was told that both Bruce and Albie were in a meeting. The poor lady who I was talking to there got an ear full when I told her to go get either one of them and I would wait... and I did.

When Bruce finally came to the phone I’d calmed down. After hearing my explanation he apologized saying that they should have checked up on that. He told me that this was their first experience with data service into our county and hadn’t given any thought to the possibility that the phone company wasn’t ready to provide it. At that point there wasn’t anything I could say. He promised that they would ‘ride herd’ on the phone company to get it done as soon as possible. For me, it was just something else to worry about.

The call to Mike to offer him Hank’s position went fairly well. He, of course, wanted more money so I worked hard on selling him on the fact that he’d only be working 40 hours a week and would be home each and every night at a reasonable hour. I could tell he liked what he was hearing and closed the conversation by telling him to come back in to get a feel for the place. I wanted him in the next day but settled on Thursday.

At 3pm I got a visit from Liz, the auditor, to explain the proof procedure she wanted to use to try and track down the teller’s difference from the preceding day. It was going to take a long time as only she and Laura were going to count each cash box. When I told the tellers what was to happen all I got was  grief. In my mind the process took way too long and it was almost 5pm before the error had been located. The ‘culprit’ was Lillian. There was no money missing and just a common error that Letitia should’ve picked up when putting the final proof together. When done with that Laura and Liz had to stay to finish up their regular work. Joanie had left at 5pm so I saw it as an opportunity to talk with Laura without raising any suspicion. I was manning the back door to let the stragglers out so it was perfect.

I got the distinct impression the Laura was getting some sort of pleasure out of withholding the information I wanted from her. After some cajoling she said that it had gone well and Joanie really liked the panties. She reached into her bag, pulled out an envelope and handed it to me. I was initially puzzled but quickly realized it was the money for the panties. I really didn’t want it and Laura knew it, but she had realized that if the transaction were not to be questioned she had to take the cash. Reluctantly, I did but took a bit of a chance and told her that it was prepayment for when she need more panties for herself. Even in the dimming light I could see her blush. As she walked away I envisioned seeing them together knowing they were wearing the same kind of panties. With colder weather coming there was the distinct probability of them wearing slacks... and me getting a VPL view to corroborate the fact. I smiled.

Before leaving I decided to give Brucie, one of the owners of the mobile home parks another call. I really didn’t expect him to answer so wasn’t prepared for what he had to say. He said the idea I’d floated about renting the units he had for sale had some merit but it wasn’t something that was a high priority at the time. Initially, I was disappointed but before he hung up he asked if the person I’d mentioned to him (Moira) needed to have furniture or did she have her own. I’d let her out the door about 20 minutes prior so couldn’t ask her. However, it quickly came to me that if she was living in a house then she had furniture. I told him she had her own and he closed the conversation saying that he might be able to accommodate her. It was the best news I’d heard all day.          

To be continued...


2 comments:

badside said...

As the service providers are installing fiber optic networks around the country now, it seems like the same thing as back then. You were on the cutting edge I guess, the first using phone lines for data! I wonder if thoughts of you knowing what panties she was wearing turned Laura on? Sounds like it. Hope you remembered to get those panties from the coal room!

Pantymaven said...

BS... in writing this particular entry I really felt like a dinosaur. None of us, then. could have imagined where we are today. I smiled reading your comment on Laura. She was just so naive I never really knew what was going on in her mind. As for the last part... read on...