Monday, May 09, 2016

AUTUMN... now the changes (Part 143e)

AUTUMN... now the changes (Part 143e)

While Elle was still with her 4 H group at the church I was able to get to my ‘stash’ and pull out a SansSoucie panty box and to grab six pair still factory banded together and with the price tags attached. Elle had some kraft paper that she’d used in a school project that I used to carefully wrap the box. Luckily, I got it done and the package into the trunk of my car before Elle and the kids returned. The next part was in how to get it to Laura without Joanie seeing me. They’d become almost ‘joined at the hip’, doing almost everything together.

We were eating supper when the phone rang. Elle absolutely hated that and just let the phone ring saying that if it were all that important they could call back later... and they did. It was Bret to let me know that Hank, the bank messenger/custodian, had a heart attack and died. It was a shock to say the least. Hank was a ‘horse’, never shied from any manual labor and, from what I’d been told, hadn’t missed a day of work in the ten years he’d been with the bank. After we got over a little reminiscing about him I got back to the reality of what it meant for the bank. Together, we put together a plan for opening the bank the next morning and getting the first messenger run completed. I figured we could take it further once we were at work and could get input from both Bert (the president) as well as Hobie. That news was not a good way to end a day off.

I took care of letting the employees in to the bank the next morning and passing on the bad news. Most of them liked Hank so, for them it was hard to take. I’d wanted to catch Moira when she arrived to make sure the car had run to her satisfaction but by the time 9am came and I'd unlocked the doors for the public she still hadn’t arrived. That worried me.

As soon as Bert arrived he called Hobie, J J, and I in to his office to discuss our immediate options. I told them of the conversation Bret and I had the night before and told them that he was going to make the first messenger run. Bert seemed pleased with that news. It was the rest of the day that was the problem. There were many little things that Hank did around the bank that nobody had paid much attention to. He’d become just like the woodwork. Hobie suggested that we do an immediate survey of each of the department managers and supervisors to get a handle on it and we’d meet again just before noon. I won’t call the list exhaustive but it did fill a legal size yellow pad. To all of us it was eye opening. We quickly prioritized it to get through the rest of the day and to cover opening the doors on Monday. Being in charge of personnel I was told to try and locate a replacement ASAP.

With my morning taken up with things pertaining to Hank I didn’t think much about Moira or Laura. The continuing unseasonal warm weather triggered a thunder storm just as I was to leave for lunch so I passed on it. I decided to go upstairs to speak to J J concerning the priorities he’d listed. I didn’t agree with some of them and when I told him that if they were all that important then he might end up having to do them himself like Bret and I were doing. He gave me one of those “are you kidding me looks“ indicating that it would be beneath him to do something normally done by a lowly messenger/custodian. When he flashed that look at me I walked out of his office. He called me back but I ignored him. I stood just outside and surveyed the work area and didn’t see Joanie. I went over to J J’s secretary, Lynne, and asked about her. She said she'd called in sick, the news of which triggered my mind back to Laura and the panties. It was the opportunity I’d been looking for to get the box of panties to Laura without Joanie seeing me do it. At least there was one good thing happening that day.

Being on the second floor and having my mind temporarily off the ‘Hank’ crisis I thought of Moira. I’d been so busy in meetings and the like that I’d missed her coming in. I walked to the back, peered into her work area and saw her busily entering numbers into an adding machine. I was taken by the fact that the savings area was soon to be connected to a computer that would generate all kinds of useful information in a matter of seconds and here was Moira plugging away at an adding machine to generate but one single answer. She saw me and the smile that crossed her face was the only answer I needed. I waved and turned to leave when she called out for me to please wait. I stopped and she was right there facing me in seconds. She said she’d come in late to work because Gee, the bank Trustee who was also an attorney, had called her at home to tell her he had some interesting and potentially good news and he’d asked her to go to his office the first thing. I truly wanted to hear what it was but told her it’d have to be later as I had to finish up adjusting for Hank’s death.

She looked shocked and I remember her repeating ”death“ in the form of a question. By coming in late all the ‘chatter” about his passing had calmed down and she was unaware of it. I remembered that she and Hank had ‘bonded’ a bit in that Hank had lived in the city somewhere near where Moira had lived as a girl. I’d overheard him call her “Brooksie” when letting her in a time or two referring to Brooklyn where she’d been born.

Bret had assumed the afternoon messenger run and I made the trip up to our correspondent bank with the days deposited checks. Both of us had forgotten that Hank would make sure the deposit and withdrawal slip holders were filled and that the public restroom had paper towels and toilet paper. We were reminded by customer complaints. By 4pm I finally got a chance to look at the application for employment files. There was one interesting application, at least on paper. They guy had just retired as an over the road truck driver. I didn’t recognize his name but gave the application to Trish to call to have him come in.

After dropping the form on her desk I saw Laura alone at hers. I walked up and asked if she’d heard from Joanie telling her that I’d heard that she was sick. That brought a smile to her face and she quickly looked around to see if anyone had heard me or seen her face. I just smiled back at her but quickly let her know I had a “package” for her. She nodded indicating she understood. I offered to give her ride to Joanie's and when she accepted I knew that mission would be completed.

To be continued...
 

No comments: