Thursday, October 27, 2016

ANOTHER YEAR... with new adventures (Part 151p)

ANOTHER YEAR... new adventures (Part 151p)

Upon my return to the lobby floor I found Bret and Lorie trying to sort out a problem with the service bureau. We’d been on-line for a few weeks and the problems had been minor. I’d been the ‘lead’ on contacting the data center and with me not around they were struggling with who to call and how to describe the problem. I immediately got involved so when Hobie returned to his desk I wasn’t there to observe his mood. It took quite a while to track down the source of the problem and when we did I asked Lorie to write it up for future reference. By then it was approaching lunch hour and I noticed Hobie wasn’t at his desk. Trish said that he’d left early but would be back. Now, not fully engrossed in anything, I began to worry about what Hobie might say to me, if anything at all.

When he finally got back he had the salesman from the office supply store across the street with him That reminded me about his need for a desk and chairs for when he moved to under the stairs. When the salesman left I took the initiative and asked about what he’d ordered. I was pleased that Hobie seemed to be his every day self. Seizing on that I asked if the new man had been contacted. After all that had transpired over the past few days I wanted to see it come to an end. To me, that end was in actually meeting the man. Hobie said he had and would be there to meet us the following day. With that information in hand I let Trish and Bret know. Neither was surprised.

I don’t know why I was nervous but I was, right from the time I got up that morning. After all, I wasn’t the new guy. I had a customer at my desk when I saw a man and woman talking with Trish. I had to try and look at them with my customer blocking my view so wasn’t able to make a judgement about him. They weren’t there for long and when I was finally able to get up asked Trish. She nodded that he was the one we were looking for but wasn't able to ask her for her first impression. Then Hobie walked past us and headed for the elevator. When my customer finally left Trish was no where to be seen. So, all I could do was wait.

It was about a half hour when Hobie returned with a man and lady in tow. They all walked through the gate and I swear I started shaking my head, somewhat in disbelief, as I focused on the man. As humans, we all make snap judgements about people when we first see them. Many times, after a while, those judgements change. I can sit here writing this and tell you, unequivocally, that my first impression of Jerry (that’s what he wanted to be called) NEVER changed. What I saw was a person about 5’10”, with a slight build, thinning hair with sad eyes... not very impressive at all. My guess was that he was in his early 40’s. What really caught my attention as I walked up to the three of them was the position of his hands. He had the finger tips of each hand touching and they were placed at the height of his belt... similar to a priest in church. The look on his face was almost apologetic. Hobie introduced them to both Bret and I and as I stuck out my hand to shake his I thought I’d grabbed the hand of a dead person. Limp and cold like none that I’d ever touched before. I know I had to have had a strange look on my face as soon as we touched. When Bret did the same I was looking at his face and even though I can’t describe his look there was a definite negative reaction. At that juncture, Jerry spoke for the first time. The only way to describe his voice was that it was weak and mushy.

Let me say this... if this man had come in for an interview with me, for ANY position, it would’ve been over in thirty seconds. I know I’d only had a minute or two to observe him but from my viewpoint there was nothing redeeming about him. As I stood there and went though the introduction of his wife I immediately knew who was the boss in the family. Her name was Thea. Homely, with a voice that demanded attention, it didn’t take long for her to be running the conversation. It was she who asked where Jerry was going to be seated and it was she who stated (not asked) that Jerry should be allowed to leave by 4pm so he could be home to eat with his family (he lived in the city). I, nor Bret, ever said a word. When his wife was talking I noted that Jerry was looking down at the floor. Hobie responded that an effort would be made to get him out in a timely fashion but that, as an officer of the bank, he had to assume additional responsibilities that would sometimes interfere with personal plans. I watched her face as he spoke and I saw her wrinkle her brow. I thought she was going to say something but she just stood there with this sour look on her face. All I could think of was how the hell did this happen and how was I going to work with him. I was very, very upset but knew there was nothing I could do about it. Before Jerry left we found out he was to start the last week of the month. As he and his wife walked away Bret and I looked at each other and shook our heads. Without either of us speaking to each other we’d both come to the same conclusion. Jerry was a loser.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wanting to put this thread to bed I’ll tell you what it took years for me to discover about his hire.

It turned out that Jerry’s wife was, in some way, related to the wife of one of the Trustees. As I’ve indicated, in bits and pieces, I did not hold the most of the Trustee’s in high regard, questioning their ability to oversee the running of the bank. I found out the background of Jerry’s hiring after one of the Trustees retired. Questionable decisions made by the Board continued right up to the time I resigned thirteen years later and was one of the primary reasons I did. But, back to Jerry’s hiring... evidently there was some kind of ‘quid pro quo’ among some of the Trustees. I also found out that when the vote was taken there were four who voted against his hiring. And we think things in Washington are bad!

To be continued...     


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much better the world would be if the right people were in the right jobs! Too bad, but the practice of back room hiring is never going away.

Bad

Pantymaven said...

BS... My feelings exactly! With my job with the County I'd come to the conclusion the word "politics" was used only in the realm of government. How wrong I was! As one of my now deceased friends used to say, "It's not just who you know but who you blow!"