Friday, August 03, 2018

ANOTHER YEAR... More adventures (Part 168 l)

ANOTHER YEAR… More adventures (Part168l)

At the bank, one thing, for sure, was we were all happy to see the “busy period” come to an end. However, the end of the one in January meant having to concentrate on what had, traditionally, been a grueling period of time where the tax information had to be put together, printed and mailed to the depositors. The previous January had been the first time the service bureau had handled the majority of it but it was still far from easy. Bret and I had met with the key people at the data center in December trying to ’short circuit’ a repeat of the problems we'd had. That second full week of January was going to be their first try at it and I, for one, was praying that it went well. Not wanting to get the hopes of the staff up too high I had Bret warn them that there might be nights where there would be overtime. Mae didn’t work for the bank that first year so had no idea what Bret was talking about and she, never shy, made a point of asking. Of all of us at the bank I knew the most about the data center’s operation, and it really wasn’t all that much. I’ll admit that when meeting with their senior people I had times where I didn’t really know what they were talking about. In any case, between the two of us we sort of satisfied Mae. Before she left for the night she stopped by my desk and told me she was willing to work late any and all nights we needed her to. Later, I told Bret we had a definite “winner” in Mae and would try to work it out so we could keep her at the main office. He agreed, whole heartedly.

By a fluke of the calendar, the full board meeting was on Wednesday of that week as it was the third one of the month. I wasn’t to be involved but had told Hobie about the previous week’s mortgage committee meeting and the ‘performance’ of “Polack Joe”. He didn’t comment but I had to smile when I saw him roll his eyes. I’d done some asking around trying to find out more about him from a businessman’s view. The one thing that stuck out to me was that he really hadn’t accomplished anything until he got married and then went to work for his father in law in his insurance business. Bret had known him from high school as they were both top athletes and competed against each other. Bret had told me he didn’t particularly like him back then. From his time as a Trustee, I didn’t either… but technically, he was one of my bosses. It was struggle for me to accept him as such.

I’d seen the agenda for the big meeting and one of the items was a report from the branch committee. I really, really would’ve liked to have been a fly on the wall to see what was going to happen when Joe put forth the idea of designing the new branch building for multiple uses. However, the first meeting of the committee on Personnel Management was the next day in the city. Because public transportation was so limited the only way I could be on time for it was to go into the city the night before. I wanted to be home to eat with Elle and the kids before driving in so there was no way I could hang around to see if Joe provoked any ‘fireworks’. In fact, I’d probably have to wait until Friday.

The biggest advantage to heading for the city early was that I’d get a good night of sleep and a good breakfast. Upon arrival at the hotel I recognized another member of the committee checking in. I’d not formally met him but knew he came from the general area, upstate, where I’d gone to college. Using that as a reason to introduce myself, I walked up and started talking about a tavern located in his town that I and some of my fraternity brothers had frequented. We became instant friends. He, like me, had been added to the committee to give the smaller banks some presence. His bank was smaller than mine and he didn’t have any branches. After getting our rooms we agreed to meet in the bar to get further acquainted and that ended any chance of a good night’s sleep.

In spite of some concern about how the smaller banks would be looked at by the ‘big city boys’, it was a pleasant surprise to find out they were interested in hearing about our problems. I’d not even given a thought to speaking but found myself participating in any number of the group discussions. When the meeting was over I was anxious to be on my way. I’d been warned that if I wasn’t on my way out of the city by 2:30pm it would be a long, long, time before I got home. The member, Don, who gave me that advice let me know that he spent many Summer weekends in the town just East of where Elle and I lived. Another ‘instant’ friend. As we walked down the hall to the elevator I heard a female voice call out to me. The vice chairman of the committee was a woman who was also a senior Vice President of the bank where she worked. I was actually shocked that she’d hailed me. She was in her 40’s and looked, as you might’ve expected for a person in her position, very professional. As she walked up she introduced herself to me and said she welcomed my vocal participation. She went on that one of the concerns that had been expressed by the Association management in deciding to open membership up to smaller banks was weather they would/could add anything. She closed by saying she looked forward to my continued participation. At that point I felt really good.

As it turned out I didn’t get to my car until around 3pm. Don’s prediction of it taking upwards of three hours, or more, to travel the 85 miles if I didn’t get on the road by 2:30pm became a reality. There were no cell phones back in those days and few pay phones so there was no way to forewarn Elle about being late. In spite of leaving the city feeling good by the time I approached the house I was worrying what kind of mood Elle would be in. She was getting used to being back in the classroom but was still pretty tired by the time she got home. My only hope was that she’d had a trouble free day. Where I expected to find her a bit grumpy I found her excited. The house next door had been sold. To get to and from the school where she was teaching she had to drive past the next door house. On her way home she found the for sale sign was missing. Then, on a whim, she ducked through the hedge and saw Andy, the real estate guy and called to him. He came over and said the contract for the sale had been signed. The buyers were an older couple and one of the reasons they bought it was so they could have their children and grandchildren visit during the Summers. Excited as she was I didn’t want to tell her that Andy had told me about them the last time I saw him and they weren’t planning on living there year round. I just left it that the house finally had been sold. The fact that I was late getting home was completely overlooked and later, well, let’s just say things were almost back to normal.

To be continued…


No comments: