Friday, August 17, 2018

ANOTHER YEAR... More adventures (Part 168s)

ANOTHER YEAR… More adventures (Part 168s)

The big question for me in the morning was what would the parking lot look like. I was pleased to see most of the snow was gone with most of the parking spots available. However, there was one concern. The lot was right next to the river and to keep wayward cars from ending up in it there was a sturdy low fence made of 4x4 timbers. Part of it was now missing. In it’s place were a number of of telephone company signs warning of construction. I took a close look and got an idea of what had happened. It was confirmed when Trish arrived.

Trish had joined her boyfriend, Chaz, when plowing the back lot and explained that what was really needed was a bucket loader. But all he had was the plow on his truck. Trish explained that the only place to put the snow was in the river so that’s where it ended up… along with two sections of the fence. She told me Chaz would be in on his lunch hour and would offer to pay for the damage to the fence. I laughed and told her the fence belonged to the village. The bank leased the space and with it had agreed to assume the plowing of snow. The reason was that if the village were to do it, because of it’s small size, it would be pretty much the last space to get plowed. But the village took care of the maintenance including fence repairs. A customer had hit the same area a while back and the village hadn’t yet fixed it. I told her to let the village figure it out.

That was all the ‘excitement’ for the day. Everybody made it in and business did pick up a bit. When Mae arrived I had her come to my desk as I wanted her ’take’ on Jerry’s latest bone head act. I liked Mae for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was she, when asked her opinion, never held back. I had all I could do to keep from smiling as she told me what happened when she showed up at Jerry’s house. I was most curious as to Jerry’s excuse for not coming in to work… that he’d been “plowed in” when the streets were plowed. That caused Mae to laugh because her sister-in-law, who lived next door to Jerry, had no trouble going to work. I asked her to write it up and to submit it to me.

Being the third Wednesday meant it was to be a full Board of Trustees meeting. However, some of the elder members had called asking for it to be postponed for a week. With no meeting there would be no mortgage submissions and approvals. That didn’t affect me but J J called to let me know of the postponement he told me had an “interesting” submission that would have to wait. It was for the house next door to Elle and I. It took me less than 30 seconds to make it up the stairs to his office. However, Lynn, his secretary had come back to work the previous week and this was the first time I’d had a chance to chat with her. Much thinner and with a different hair style, she looked somewhat attractive. She really was a nice girl and had been welcomed back to work by her co-workers but it had created a bit of a problem for me in that I had to find a place for “upstairs Sandy”, the woman who'd replaced her while she was on leave. J J hadn’t really accepted Sandy and it was more because she wasn’t very attractive than  for being incapable of doing the necessary work. Liz, the auditor, had been struggling with a health problem since the first of the year. Laura, her assistant, was more than capable of doing her assigned tasks but when Liz was out for a few days found herself struggling. Sandy had had some training and experience as a bookkeeper so I approached Liz about giving her a try so that’s where she ended up. In any case, after talking with Lynn I made it into J J’s office. He had the application right there and handed it to me.

Elle had expressed hope for the house to be bought by a young family with children right from the time the house was foreclosed on right after we’d moved there. The first person to live there was Sabrina/Lisa who was basically a young ‘airhead’. She’d provided some ‘entertainment’ but was more of a nuisance than anything else. Next was Bill, the school principal and his family. The kids were a lot older than ours but the older daughters had pretty much fit in with us. We knew it was only for a short time until their house was completed. But, it had been empty for six months and had been a source of trouble (vandals/ vagrants) that kept Elle upset. So, here I was holding documents that would give me a good idea just who our neighbors were going to be. Andy, the real estate agent, had told me just the basics about them… an older couple from the city who wanted the house to be able to have their kids and grandkids visit during the Summer. What I was looking at told me a whole lot more than that. The man had owned a number of businesses, some I’d heard of, and the wife was the daughter of a well known academician. I didn’t have to go to the financial portion to know they had money. I remember looking at J J and wondering, out loud, why they would choose that house and located where it was. Before speaking J J reminded me that all that he was about to say was confidential. The couple had had a Summer home on a lake in New Hampshire and one of their sons ended up drowning in it. It took a long time for them to recover but over a period of time they did. They missed being near the water but vowed that they wouldn’t ever live right on it again. Missing rural nature in Summer they settled on our area. The house, far from fancy, was big enough to house their extended family and was far enough from water to eliminate the danger of a similar event that had caused their son to die.  I scanned to the family portion of the application and saw they had a boy and girl. J J volunteered that he’d been able to elicit some information about the grandchildren and they were, indeed in the same range as both his and my kids. At least that was some positive news for Elle. Before giving the application back I couldn’t help but see what the house had sold for and was shocked… $40,000. Andy had told me the owner, a speculator, was asking a very high price and he hadn’t been kidding. I left his office wondering just what my house, which was far nicer, was worth.

While I was upstairs with J J, Stan, my stock broker called with a message for me to call him as soon as possible. It wasn’t noon time yet so pretty much knew he’d still be there. Lynda answered but didn’t want to talk with me saying that Stan needed to go over something with me right away. Just there months earlier he’d given me some materials on some stocks to peruse. He’d told me that I probably couldn’t go wrong on any of them. He did point out one, which was a new issue, that looked particularly interesting. I’d never purchased a stock when it was offered but did so in this case. I was very concerned because to do it meant going into my savings fund. I’d tried to keep up on the progress of it but, without saying it, before Christmas Stan had indicated before I should think about selling it. Today, it was more than an indication. I tried to ask why but he said he had more calls to make and I could stop by after the markets closed to get that information. Trusting him, I told him to ”sell”.  It was Lynda who called to tell me of the confirmed sale and when she did it was to tell me I’d made $400 in just three months on a $1500 investment. I was liking the stock market more and more!(77)

To be continued…

No comments: