Monday, September 17, 2018

SLOGGING THROUGH WINTER... Good & bad (Part 169l)

SLOGGING THROUGH WINTER… Good & bad (Part 169l)

Being Winter, Elle preferred that I go to the 10am church service with her and the kids. However, on this Sunday I wanted to be alone in my time at church. My sleep had been restless with the recurring thought that the deceased driver was doing exactly what he’d had in mind to do with his life… be a professional race car driver. I knew there would be comments that his was a wasted life. Racing, all kinds, had been a part of my life and even though some of it had been dangerous, it had never gotten to my psyche. Accidents were going to happen to the other guy, not me. In my auto racing days, I’d be a little nervous while waiting to go out on the track but once there, no problem. However, the risk level of it to me was far below that of where the accident took place… 60 miles per hour on a 1/4 mile track versus 180 miles per hour on a two 1/2 mile track. In church, I chose to do my own praying and didn’t follow the prayer book. As I remember it, I was praying that I could be strong enough to not let the unfortunate things that happen to others make me question their desires and ambitions. As far as the rest of the day, I have no record or memory of what I did.

Bret was waiting for me at work the next morning. He knew Cliffy a little bit from when he raced at the local track. He also knew Cliffy had gone to Daytona to be in the pit crew for a local driver but hadn’t been able to get any information on how the driver did. He was disappointed to hear that he hadn’t qualified. Then I told him that he’d been on the pit crew of the driver that had died. I remember his eyes bugging out of his head as soon as I told him. I remember him asking if I was sure and told him that Cliffy’s wife had told me herself. He was still shaking his head as we walked to our desks. Once there, he told me that he’d actually gotten that driver’s autograph when he’d raced at the local track the year before. I didn’t really want to talk about the accident itself but Bret wouldn’t let it go. Finally, I was ‘rescued’ by Joanie telling me I had a phone call. It was Lynda from the stock broker’s office.

I’d not talked with her since she got out of my car when we met out at the bowling alley. In her desire to do something for me as a “Thank you…” for getting her home safely on New Year’s Eve she’d agreed to give me a couple of pictures of her in panties that had been taken by her husband. However, nothing was mentioned about when she’d give them to me. I wasn’t about to ask so, for me, the safest thing was to just wait… and I’d consciously chosen not to go over her office hoping to hear from her. After hearing the familiar voice I held my breath. The call was to tell me that her boss, Stan, who was my broker, had some information sheets for me to look at. I really wasn’t in the mood, or position, to buy any more stock so just told her I’d try to get over there later. I remember her asking if everything was OK. I didn’t want to go into the racing thing so just told her it was.

The next surprise was in having Hobie come over to my desk to ask about the racing accident. He had a newspaper in his hands and asked if I’d seen the pictures of it. Hobie had never shown any interest in car racing so this was from ‘out of the blue’. He went on that he’d seen it on the late night TV news. The fact that it had been on the regular TV news had also been a surprise when I’d seen it the night before. Bret heard him ask me about it and came over as well. In my mind I started going over just how I was going to ‘escape’ again from what appeared to be a never ending reminder. Neither of us had seen the newspaper pictures and I wasn’t sure I wanted to. But, Bret did.

To get out of that I told Hobie I wanted to show him what Mae and I had accomplished on Saturday in the cellar and what we planned to do going forward. On our way I remember Hobie saying that at one time his son wanted to get involved with race cars and now, after seeing those pictures, was glad he got involved with girls. I had to smile in hearing that. He didn’t give the response I was hoping for when he saw the results of our efforts. I mentioned the incident with what I thought might’ve been a rat getting into the main part of the cellar. I’d already told Mike to get more rat traps but Hobie told me to go see the owners of the old time hardware/general store. It was run by an old line family with ‘roots’ in the town almost as deep as mine. The patriarch supposedly had a homemade rat poison that Hobie said had worked for the bank back a number of years prior. It sounded pretty good to me and I figured I could stop there when I went to pick up the information on the stocks that Stan had picked out for me as the store was almost next door to the brokerage.

Thankfully, my day was fairly busy with customers. Even though I hadn’t done anything physical all day I found myself feeling tired by the time 5pm came. When I went to pull out of the parking lot there was policeman directing traffic who wouldn’t let any one make a left turn. I tried to find the reason but he wouldn’t have any of it so I just turned right. I had to take a fairly circuitous route to be on my way home. However, it did take me past the hardware store so, with them still open, I stopped. I knew the youngest son, Tom, from the Chamber of Commerce meetings. When I told him what I was looking for he laughed and said most of the things that made up his grandfather's concoction had been outlawed. My first thought was that there was no wonder the rats had been eliminated. He did offer up a new kind but couldn’t attest to the effectiveness of it but I took it with me anyway. Back outside I ran into Stan, my broker. The brokerage rented space in the parking lot owned by the hardware store and he was on the way to his car. When he saw me he told me about the group of stocks he wanted me to look over. I really wasn’t interested at that moment but, wanting to stay on his ‘right side’, agreed to walk back to the office to get them. I thanked him and told him I’d be in touch if anything interested me.All I wanted was to be on my way home.

Elle had some news for me when I walked in. Beth had called in the morning and told her she and Cliffy were on their way home. But there was a caveat to that. They expected to be home sometime late Tuesday night but would only be there to get some sleep. They would be leaving first thing in the morning to attend the funeral for the race car driver. It was being held on Wednesday evening near Boston. After telling me, Elle expressed disbelief that Beth wouldn’t make at least a quick stop to see her baby. I’d questioned how she could’ve taken off for Florida in the first place. But the baby seemed to have thrived under Elle’s care and hadn’t been a problem at all… well… except for one thing.

To be continued...

No comments: