Saturday, May 04, 2019

INTO SUMMER... a busy time (Part 173g)

INTO SUMMER…  busy time (Part 173g)

The rain kept a lot of the parishioners away which was a disappointment to the minister and the Bishop. With fewer people at the reception after the service it meant getting away from the church earlier than I’d expected. Elle had come with the kids and after they were introduced to the Bishop they headed for home. Since she’d dressed while I was at the church I had no idea how she’d ‘prepared’. What I did notice was that she didn’t use the church rest room. She’d heard enough horror stories about it (and had probably been involved in one or two) that she avoided using it if at all possible. My calculation of time worked out to over two hours since she’d left home. That told me she’d probably worn a full ‘package’. I knew she’d started keeping a log of just how long she could last before dribbling and then voiding. Not wanting to put pressure on her I’d not brought the subject up… but I was curious.

I made my ‘break’ from the reception around 12:30pm and, with the weather still bad, decided to head for the sailing club to confirm my earlier thoughts about cancelling the races. There were always a few ‘die hards’ who’d brave just about any weather just to prove a point. As I pulled into one of the many vacant parking places I could see three sailboats being buffeted by the wind and waves. It was what I’d dubbed as “boat breaking weather”. I recognized the sail numbers of two of the boats as being the same as at the last big ‘blow’ a couple of years prior and immediately shook my head in disbelief thinking some people never learn. I didn't get out of my car but sat and watched as one of the boats turned over and swamped… not a good thing. I could see one of the problems facing them was that there was no one out there to rescue them. All of a sudden I saw a woman come rushing up to the car. I cranked down the window and could hear her pleading for me to go help the guys in the water. Here I was in good clothes (that’s the way we went to church back then!) and my good shoes. But, you do what you have to do so, still behind the wheel, I stripped down to my boxer shorts. I could see the sailing club skiff anchored a ways off the beach and made my way through the waves out to it. It was a battle just to climb aboard. I just flopped into the boat trying to catch my breath. I thought I heard a voice and looked back over the transom and saw that the woman had followed me. I definitely didn’t need that! After a struggle to get her aboard I told her to just sit on the floor and stay out of the way. I was able to start the outboard motor and then pulled up the anchor, heading for the two men clinging to the capsized sailboat. The other two sailboats had dropped their sails and were now drifting towards shore. There were three things on my mind… make sure the two were not in any obvious distress; get them on board the skiff and, if possible, tow the boat to shore.

Once I made the commitment to help I’d focused on what I had to do. Now headed for the swamped boat I came up with a plan. With the difficulty I’d had getting on board I wondered if they would be able to make it up over the side. I knew one of the two and he was over 6 feet tall and pretty stocky. I was 6’1” and weighed around 160 and with my bad back knew I wouldn’t be able to offer much in the way of helping them into the boat. That’s when I looked back at the woman. I’d not paid much attention to her and saw she was all balled up with her arms around her knees and her head buried in them. With just a quick glance I thought she was wearing a bathing suit. I thought I remembered her wearing a dress when she ran up to my car but wasn't sure. I surely didn’t need the distraction of having to worry about her. I’d made it clear to her that I didn’t want her doing anything unless I told her. I don’t think I spent more than 30 seconds focused on her before arriving at the now completely swamped boat. The only complaint the guys had was in being cold. Even though it was July and the ambient average temperature was in the 80’s, the water was still below 70 degrees and the two of them had been in it for at least 20 minutes. I got them to swim to the skiff but as I’d sort of expected they didn’t have the strength to get themselves up and over the side and into the boat. By now the woman was beside herself screaming at me to get them on board. She was now standing and holding on to the console. That was the first time I really focused on her. She was actually a girl. I  had only a second or two to look at her and saw she was in a bra and bikini panties and not a bathing suit. But I didn’t have more than a few seconds to try and remember what she’d been wearing when I heisted her up and into the skiff. There was no time to take that in so I got her to go to one side of the boat and the give one of the men a rope to hold on to and I did the same for the other guy. We were probably 1000 yards off the beach and being blown towards it. I asked them if they had enough strength to hold onto the ropes if I slowly tried to tow them to shore. They both responded affirmatively so I started the motor. I told the girl to keep her eyes on both of them and to let me know if either one let go of the ropes. They dog paddled to about 10 to 12 feet behind the skiff so I felt reasonably comfortable about not having them or the ropes getting caught up in the propeller so put it in gear.

It was while we were making our way towards shore that I saw two other small power boats headed in our direction. At that point I figured they could focus on the swamped boat so focused on getting to the beach. It was while looking at the approaching boats that I was finally able to relax enough to take a closer look at the girl. By then the adrenaline rush was wearing off and I found myself shaking from the cold. I’d not thought about the rain up until this time but found it actually hurt as it was hitting me. She was about 5’3”’ tall and her hair looked like it might’ve been blonde when it was dry. It was hard to judge how old she was because of her current physical and mental condition. My eyes stayed on the two guys with a glance every so often to look at her. She had what had been described in more than a few books I’d read, “perky little breasts”. The bikinis were nylon and wet nylon is not only translucent but pastes itself to the body. For a few seconds I could feel myself getting ‘warm’ but a quick look at shore got my attention. I wanted to tow the guys in far enough so they could touch the bottom but I had to be careful not to get too close to the shore. If I did, with the size of the waves, the propeller could touch bottom and if that happened it could shear the pin that attaches it to the shaft. Then it would be me that was in trouble.

My next problem was in getting the girl off the boat. The way we were bouncing around I was afraid that she’d get hurt when getting off. With the guys making their way to shore I focused on her and when I faced her she might as well have been naked. But, there was no sign of my responding to that stimulus. We were both cold and she was scared. I told her she might get hurt but the only way to get ashore was for her to get up on the side of the skiff with her legs overboard. Then, when I yelled she had to use all her strength to push up and away from the skiff. It took a couple of tries to finally get her to do it and when she did she was successful. I then drove the boat out away from the beach, threw out the anchor, dove over the side and made my way to shore.

To be continued…

No comments: