Sunday, May 26, 2019

INTO THE SUMMER... a busy time (Part 173n)

INTO SUMMER… a busy time (Part173n)

I did a ‘double take’ when I heard that. The look on my face alerted Junior to the degree of concern I had. He responded by saying he didn’t mean it literally but what he meant to say was he was going to take her back to the city. I didn’t know what to say so just stood there waiting to hear what he had planned. But he didn’t and proceeded to tell me the real story about why his father had purchased the house. He had sort of indicated that his father had a mistress in the city in  previous conversations. He’d told me his father was using the start of a new business as the excuse to stay there and not spend time at this house. He went on that his mother was a bit of a “pill” and fixed in her ways and was bored out of her mind here. She was driving his sister, Mattie, and wife, Martha, crazy and this incident had finally brought it to a head. He told me he’d talked with both of them but not his mother. His plan was to tell her later on that afternoon and just load her and her things in his car as he headed back to his job in the city. I felt it best not to ask any questions. Junior closed by saying he, his wife and sister really liked the area and their kids were enjoying themselves. He told me the women really liked my wife and our kids and he didn’t want to see his mother ruin what appeared to be a good relationship. After hearing all that I really had no idea what to say.

We both looked over to the opening in the hedge where the women were standing and talking. He made a comment and said that it looked liked they had worked out the “little problem” so he headed in their direction. I was pretty much ready to leave for the sailing club so called to Elle that I was waiting for her and the kids. I couldn’t hear what she said but she didn’t make a move towards me. As soon as I headed in her direction she sort of waved me off. I was going to be late as it was so I just threw up my hands and got in the station wagon. I have to admit I was a bit mad but tried to concentrate on what I had to do to prepare at least one of our two Sunfish for racing. The new sailing instructor, a young guy, had totally redone the junior program. On the surface I was in agreement with what he wanted to accomplish but there was one thing I didn’t agree with and annoyed me. About 1/3 of boats were used for racing and, as such, had been somewhat modified to enhance them. He wanted all the kids to be learning without the changes which meant I had to make changes for them to use the boats and then back again for Elle and I to race. It took about 10 to 15 minutes… if everything went right.

Arriving at the sailing club I found most of the boats with their sails up and ready to leave the beach which made me even madder. I was rushing to get the changes made when this scruffy looking man came up to me wanting to know where I got the authority to take his Sunfish off one of the storage racks. I remember thinking two things almost simultaneously… who the hell are you and what are you talking about? I’d only been there at the club for maybe five minutes and hadn’t touched any boat but mine so had no idea what he was complaining about. I was bent over my boat and making the adjustment on the equipment so had to look up at him. The ‘attack’ was a total surprise so I didn’t respond. Looking at him I could see he was looking for a confrontation. I think I finally asked him what he was talking about and the next thing I knew he was taking a swing at me. I had my hand on one of two metal poles that the sail was attached to and when I saw the fist headed for me I just raised the arm holding one of them. His fist hit the pole. As I had raised my arm I was also ducking away from him and ended up falling into the cockpit of the boat with the sail falling on top of me. The guy was screaming but I have no idea what he was yelling. The next thing I knew there were some other people there and had grabbed him. I scrambled to get untangled from the sail and out of the cockpit. The guy and two sailing club members were standing on the other side of the boat and I made a “what the f__k” motion with my arms but didn’t say anything. One of the club members told him to leave because he was calling the police if he didn't. He shook free from their grasp and headed for the parking lot continuing to yell at me. I was dumbfounded.

I thanked the club mates for stepping in on my behalf. They wanted to know who he was and all I could do was shrug my shoulders. As they walked back to their boats I realized I’d bruised both my shins when I fell into the cockpit. As I looked down I could see blood running down both of them. Most of the boats had left the shore and were on their way to the starting line. I still had to make the adjustments to be able to race and then decided to stop. If you’ve read this tome for any length of time you know I’m a believer on ‘omens’ and between Elle not coming to the club and then being accosted by the stranger decided it would be better to head home.
By the time I got there I’d come up with a theory about who the guy who’d attacked me was. Back when some club members were opening up the clubhouse for the Summer a number of them put the Sunfish storage racks together before any members had brought their boats to the club. I showed up one day and found two boats, not owned by club members, on the racks. I got help and removed them only to have a woman that none of us had ever seen before come over wanting to know why we’d done it. We explained that they racks were for club members only which set her off with a whole bunch of expletives and then she left. I’d forgotten all about it. But that had been about three weeks before.

Elle was surprised to see me drive up the driveway. She’d dug out the foldable chaise and set it up in the back yard by the kids playhouse. She was wearing a short summer skirt and as I walked up to her had a beautiful look at her crotch. She had her legs up to use her thighs as a prop for the newspaper she was reading. As much as I liked the ‘view’ what I wanted to know was why she didn’t want to go to the sailing club. I also wanted to know what she, Mattie and Martha had been talking about when I wanted to leave. She gave me one of those ‘knowing’ looks that I eventually learned was a ‘woman thing’. It took some persuasion but she finally told me they’d been talking about Geemaw and how Junior was going to take her back to the city. She thought she was giving out some sort of secret but I told her Junior had told me about his plan to “free the women” when we were out at the garage. With that out in the open I asked when it was to take place. She smiled and said we’d know when the kids from next door showed up. I didn’t pick up on it and she, making a face, explained that once Geemaw was gone, the kids would be allowed to come over and play with our kids again. Then it made sense. The whole situation was so petty but I remembered Junior’s words about how he didn’t want his mother to ruin the good relationship between the two families. I was in total agreement.

To be continued…

No comments: