Saturday, June 01, 2019

INTO THE SUMMER... a busy time (Part 173q)

INTO SUMMER… a busy time (Part 173q)

When I got home Wednesday Elle told me she wasn’t going to the sailing club for the women’s lessons/races as she usually did. It was surprise as it was something that she usually looked forward to. She’d become, in a fairly short period of time, one of the better female racers. I asked if she felt OK and her response was positive… but she didn’t give me a reason for not wanting to go. Never one to leave things as they were I pressed her on it. She made a face and said that some women had showed up at the club during lessons and were making “fuss”. I asked what it was about and it had to do with being denied use of the rest rooms. It immediately brought to mind my having been accosted by a strange man on Sunday. I think I questioned her as to why that would make a difference that evening. Then she told me that the women had made threats and promised to come back and to “make trouble” adding that she didn’t want to be involved if it were to happen, especially with the kids being there. In all the years I’d been involved with he sailing club we’d not had any problems like that. When strangers approached about using the facilities they were told it was a private club and would walk away. I stood there trying to decide what to do. I’d been standing in the doorway and heard the sound of a tractor going by out in the field. I took a quick look and saw it was John, the farmer neighbor. As soon as I saw him I thought of his brother, Ed, who was a town cop… and a good guy like John.

After eating supper I made a call to John’s brother and got lucky in that he was home. I briefly explained the situation and the threat that had been made at the club that afternoon. Right behind the club building was the town softball field and he was a player. He said his team wasn’t scheduled that night but he’d be happy to go as a spectator and would keep an eye on the activities at the club as well. I told Elle what I’d done and suggested that she should go. However, I told her to try and locate Ed when she got there and if she saw the ‘troublemakers’, point them out to him. It was pretty clear she wasn’t completely sold on the idea but I made it clear that I’d put myself ‘on the line’ and that she needed to go.

I was off to ‘do my thing’ with the connecting rod bearings at the race car shop as soon as Elle left. I was a bit nervous but, at the same time, anxious, to do it. I was the only pit crew member/owner who didn’t have a specific talent and felt somewhat inadequate when we were working on the car. I’d become a ‘jack of all trades’ but was a master of none. I was hoping my work on the motor would raise my ‘standing’ in the minds of the others. Walking into the shop I could see the car was already on the jack stands and pretty much just waiting for me. Alan hadn’t yet arrived but I didn’t wait for him. By the time he arrived I ‘d drained and filtered the oil and was dropping the oil pan down to give me access to the the ‘’bottom end’ of the motor. I checked my watch when I started loosening the bolt that held the pan on to be able to time just how long it would take. When I finished I felt pretty good about myself. I’d not had any problems and had gotten all eight bearings changed and the oil pan back in place in just under two hours… and with minimal help from Alan. He’d busied himself checking all the bolts on the suspension and rear end. I finished up by adding the motor oil. As I did we talked about the possibility of winning another ‘main event’ on Saturday. We both knew we’d be starting up front and with the added power that the fuel injection system had added neither of us could wait. In leaving, I told him that I’d meet up with him and the rest of the guys at the track. I remember him frowning before asking why. I told him about the Rotary Club/Chamber of Commerce picnic. I remember him smiling and knew why. He worked for the aerospace company who owned the property where the event was staged.

Back at home I was met by Elle… and I could see she was upset. The women did follow up on their threat and came back. Unfortunately, they’d upset just about everyone before Ed showed up. The good thing was that even though he was off duty he managed to call it in and had a patrol car there before the women could leave. Elle didn’t have all the details because she tried to stay out of the way. Hearing about it had me a bit conflicted. I couldn’t help but think what might’ve happened if I’d gone with Elle and Ed (the cop) had not been there. I wanted to know the end result and what would happen to the women who caused the problem.

After we talked about it for a while Elle calmed down and we discussed the plan for the upcoming picnic on the weekend. There would be a total of eleven from the two houses which meant taking two cars. I, as a volunteer, got a pass to use the bak gate. The concern was how we’d re-connect with the neighbors after they arrived and used the general parking area. I’d not put a lot of thought into it but sitting there with Elle I was going through the names of bank employees who qualified for a pass. Bert, the president, never volunteered because of his ailing wife and I got the idea to ask if I could use his. That way, both cars could go together, have a good parking place and without having to do a lot of walking. By my being on the picnic grounds on Friday night I’d have the opportunity to stake out the place where we’d gather. I’d had the same spot for the past three years and it was one with partial shade… perfect for the kids. By the time we headed for bed I was really looking forward to it.

It took a little ‘digging’ to get some information on what had happened at the sailing club but, there was more to it than just the two women. They’d brought their husbands as well. The net result was the two men and one woman were taken to the Justice of the Peace and cited for disturbing the peace… but were let go. They were also told not to visit the ‘area’ again with the ‘area’ being the town beach, the town baseball field and the sailing club. I was told that was basically all that could be done unless they disobeyed the directive. I knew that when I told Elle about it she wouldn’t be happy. But, before going home I had to meet with the ‘parking lot crew to co-ordinate everything for our assignment on Friday night. I was a bit surprised to find that one of the guys had been replaced by a woman. I didn’t know what to think about it at first but knew I’d miss the guy she replaced as he, to be truthful, was the one who made sure we got the job done and done right. I hadn’t met her at a Chamber meeting and my first impression wasn’t favorable. The meeting was over in short order with all of us agreeing to meet at the site at 6pm. It would be the beginning of what I hoped would be a great weekend.

To be continued…

No comments: