Monday, March 19, 2012

SUMMER... August, sailing (Part 87i)

Once in bed, my thoughts weren’t on Elle but were on trying to figure out what to do about the trailer hub, tire and possibly the axle itself. By morning I had the start of a plan. Richie, the husband of the girl/woman who had looked after our kids while Elle taught the last weeks of school, came to mind. I’d raced the stock car on Saturday night and Richie had come as a pit crew member. He lived about 10 minutes from the sailing club and had the equipment necessary to get the offending wheel bearing off the axle

Elle did fix breakfast for me but was still giving me the ”silent treatment“. Because Monday’s were when the Clerk Typist exams were given at work there was no way to come home for lunch. I had to wait until after work to see if Elle had cooled down enough for me to have a conversation with her. Arriving home it was as if nothing had happened. She was smiling and carried on like Sunday had never happened. I remember thinking to myself that trying to get into the psyche of a female was a waste of time. Long story short... she’d found the catalog on the table and was somewhat intrigued by it. Then, going outside, she saw the damaged hub/wheel on the picnic table. They gave her a ”clue“ that something had come up to cause me to be late. I finally got a chance to explain and she had nothing to say. I would’ve liked an ”I’m sorry“ but was satisfied that we were back talking again.

I explained the source of the catalog and told her of the offer on the underwear. I hadn’t looked at the catalog other than the page that Ali had shown me. Elle proceeded to turn the page and showed me the choices for ladies as well as kids and teens. I, of course, was familiar with the Lollipop band leg cotton panties but I saw they also made nylon panties as well. I found that to be very interesting. However, now that my ”Elle“ problem was solved it was back to the boat trailer problem.

I called Richie and he said he would meet me at the sailing club in about an hour. I ”wolfed“ my supper down and headed out. He was already there when I arrived and was trying to get the troubled bearing off using by heat from his acetylene torch. Even with that he couldn’t get it to budge. He noted that there was so much rust on the axle that it was almost as if it were welded on. Using the torch he proceeded to cut it off. To do it he had to lay under the trailer and when he did he called for me to climb under as well. He could see that the rear bracket holding the spring on was pulling out from the frame of the trailer. I asked if he could weld it back and of course he said he could. The first strike he made with the welding rod didn’t go well. He burned a hole right through the frame. He was all apologetic but said he could fix it. The second try was just the same as the first. He climbed back out from under the trailer, took off his helmet and said that I needed a new trailer.

I’d been worried about the cost of a hub, tire and possibly an axle and now he was telling me I needed a new trailer. The look on my face must’ve been one of pure shock. The trailer was nine years old. They hadn’t started making galvanized boat trailers back in those days so this was a steel trailer that had been painted at the factory. During the hurricanes of 1954 and 1955 it had been submerged in salt water. Although eventually rinsed of with fresh water, it had been in close proximity to salt water and salt air from that time forward. The rust started in just about any place that anything had been welded to the frame and it was now just a shell.

My first thought was of the $300 dollars that had been discovered in my trust account but, having told Elle about it, the thought of using it was quickly dismissed. We’d started an account for the upcoming baby and I knew it was ”hands off“. With a new trailer pretty much out of the question the next question was would I be able to get the boat and trailer home at the end of the season. Richie said he could make up a strap to hold the spring and that it would not need to be welded. As soon as he left I began the next worry phase.

The upcoming weekend sailing event was the biggest of the season. I’ve explained it in past posts but basically the top finishers qualified to go to the National championships. Even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to attend them if I did qualify, I enjoyed the competition as it was the best in our territory. So now I was trying to figure who I might be able to borrow a trailer from.

Basically, I spent most of my free time on Tuesday making phone calls but to no avail. I knew that members who lived locally or who were on vacation would show up at the club on Wednesday nights and than hold some informal races. I’d never participated because of the extended hours I worked in the Data Processing department. I decided to go hoping to find someone who just might help me out. There were a number of boats down by the water ready to be launched when I arrived. One was JR. Remembering that he’d said that his father had yet to put a trailer hitch on their car I got the idea to ask him if I could borrow his trailer.

He seemed glad to see me but before I could ask my question he asked if I could sail with him. He was almost pleading. I wasn’t dressed for it so asked him who had he planned on using. He pointed to the clubhouse and there on the steps were three females. Even though I’d only seen his sister one time I recognized her. There were some pretty girls in the area but his sister was truly beautiful. I asked if he was pointing to his sister and the look on his face gave the answer. I quickly decided that I’d join him, hoping that by doing so that he’d let me borrow his trailer for the weekend.

To be continued...

No comments: