Monday, September 10, 2012

HOPE... for better times (Part 98e)

August had started off with a ”bang“, for sure. It didn’t take long for the positives to continue. On Monday, during the typing portion of the Clerk Typist exam, one of the applicants had the misfortune of falling off her chair and onto her back as she was trying to reach into her pocket book. I happened to be right in front of her and when she fell one leg ended up still on the seat exposing almost the whole front of her panties and a good bit of the crotch. She was in shock and so was I. She didn’t know what had happened and I was dumbstruck by the view of her that I had from where I stood. It was actually John who broke my trance when he jumped up on the stage to see what had happened. I think the only thing that saved me from being embarrassed was that the woman really had ”lost it“ for a few seconds and didn’t realize that I was staring at her. Later, on our way back to the office, John claimed that he got a peek before she gathered herself up but I doubted it. It was one of the best ”peeks“ (actually it was a ”look“) I’d had since starting on the job.

The first week of August was my one year anniversary working in the Civil Service department. Since pay was based on a grade and step system the employees didn't usually have a face to face performance review. Everybody knew what the raise would be as long as you remained in the same grade level. I already knew what I’d be seeing in my next paycheck so when Mrs K came in on Tuesday and asked for me to come into her office I had no idea of the reason. She had me sit down and then offered up a sort of apology. In essence it was like a performance review but in a very unorthodox way. She started off by saying that she wished she had some place to put me which really puzzled me. I had a desk and there was actually a vacant one (Sonny's) out there as well. It took a minute for me to get the drift of her intentions. Basically she was reiterating something that she’d said to me a time or two before... that she felt I was capable of doing much more with my life than working for the County Civil Service department. She, by no means, was telling me she wanted me to leave as she listed off some of the innovative things that I’d introduced since joining the department and thanked me for them. But the message was that there was no room for promotion in the department what with both Wilson and Marty in senior positions ahead of me and she felt that neither of them would be leaving soon. She closed by telling me that I had certainly been a welcome addition to the department but if something more challenging came along for me that she, personally, would have no problem with my leaving. All that she asked was that I give her ”fair warning“. I’ve written on a few occasions how much I admired her since my first meeting her. When I left her office I had mixed emotions. I pretty much liked working in the department and with the people in it. Now that I could interact with Jay and the Data processing department the job had become much more satisfying.

When I hadn’t heard from JR’s father by Wednesday night I pretty much dismissed the importance of the meeting he wanted to have with me. I shouldn’t have. Dolly had just arrived on Thursday morning and she and Elle were planning their day when the phone rang. It was the long awaited call. I was asked if he could stop by after supper. With me being home soon after 5pm so that Dolly could get her ride back to my parents we usually had our supper around 6pm. I told him that any time after 7pm would be good for us. When he asked if he could bring his wife it surprised me but what else could I say but ”yes“. At that point I couldn’t imagine what the meeting would be about, especially with his wife being present. I had less than twelve hours before I’d find out.

The excuse for bringing his wife was that she wanted to see the baby. Having sailed against JR the previous season Elle and I both had the opportunity to meet and talk with the lady every time we raced against JR. But the meeting was supposedly to be with me so I couldn’t figure out her role in it. I’d always called him Mister R because I was raised to acknowledge older people with respect. He insisted that I call him John and soon after the ladies settled down in the patio room he asked me to walk him through the mobile home park as it was the first time he’d ever been in one. While we were ambling down one of the streets he stopped and put his hand on my arm and asked if I’d consider going to work at his bank. Talk about a shock!

I won’t bore you with all the details but he said that the Board of Trustees at his bank had decided that it was time to take it in a new direction. To do that they wanted to get into ”data processing“. He told me that in one of our conversations I’d mentioned my experience in that area and thought I’d be the perfect one to do that for them. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. In all the times I’d chatted with him there was nothing to indicate anything like what I’d just heard.

I will say that he was well prepared. The salary was to be a $500 increase over whatever I was presently making. I’d just received my annual increase so that really got my attention. I’d get the same vacation as with the County and I’d be sent to the DP equipment manufacturer’s main office for training at their expense. I was overwhelmed. I really was. By the time we made it back to my place I’d pretty much made up my mind. I was just about to tell him but before I did he suggested that I talk it over with Elle. I could hardly wait for he and his wife to leave. The "small talk" with them seemed to go on forever but they finally left around nine.

Elle and I talked until after midnight. I was definitely "selling" the idea but she wasn't as enthusiastic about the potential change as I was. She brought out the fact that I would no longer be five to seven minutes away as well as a couple more small points. But she was the one to bring up the medical and hospital insurance. No mention had been made about it and it was definitely something that had to be discussed. Even with that I still was excited as I tried to fall asleep.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

Interesting, the dawn of computers in banking! Good that Elle thought of the insurance angle too, probably would have slipped my mind too if I was in your shoes.

Anonymous said...

As a web site owner I think the material here is really magnificent. I appreciate it for your time. You must maintain it and keep it up forever! Excellent work.