Saturday, January 19, 2013

BIG CHANGES... better times (Part 104f)

 The trip to North Carolina went without incident. I’d figured on taking about eight hours what with stops for Elle and the kids plus eating. The target destination was a place called Southern Pines. We took US route 1 which was quite nostalgic for me as it was the same route my father took when went to Florida in the late 40’s and early 50’s. I knew I was in the South when I started to see signs for the Stuckey’s shops selling pecans and pralines. That, in turn reminded me of Burma Shave limericks posted on individual signs along the road. One year my brother and I tried to write them down as we drove past. I still remember one... “Slo down Pa - Sakes alive - We missed signs four and five - BURMA SHAVE ” because that was what we'd tell my father when we missed one. My goal was to get there while it was still daylight as we didn’t have a place to stay. The majority of the motels back in those days were “Mom and Pop” type and I wanted to have a good look at just where we were going to stay.

Before we left on the trip my grandfather, upon hearing of my plans, asked me to stop by to see him. The first thing he did was to give me $10 for gas but what he really wanted was to give me a letter to be delivered some old friends. After WWII he and my grandmother would head South for a few months right after Christmas. I don’t remember how or why they ended up in Southern Pines but they did. They stayed at a place called “The Hollywood”. The name had nothing to do with the California one. It was derived from the fact that the grounds were landscaped with many varieties of holly bushes. It was a hotel of sorts but didn't cater to people wanting to stay over night. Most stayed for an extended period. In earlier posts I wrote about some of my memories of the place from when I’d spent time with my grandparents during my Spring breaks from school. It was owned and run by two brothers and their families and over the ten plus years my grandfather stayed there they’d become good friends. The letter was for them.

The business district of Southern Pines was split in half by one of the main North South railroad lines. One half was on the East side and the other on the West. US route 1 ran parallel to the railroad tracks but about two city blocks to the East. Even though The Hollywood was right on route 1 there was no direct access off of it. The grounds occupied one whole block and the front of the facility was on a side street which ran slightly down hill towards the tracks. I pulled up to what was generally considered to be the front of the building, a two story wooden structure that, as I remember it, was built around 1900. My plan was to just run up the steps, deliver the letter and for us to be on our way.

I was halfway up the path when I heard Elle call. She decided that it would be a good idea for her and the girls to make a visit to the bathroom. It was unseasonably warm for the first week in March, even for North Carolina. I was in my shirtsleeves and when Elle asked for help to put on the girls coats I was a bit annoyed. Even though it was still daylight, it was fast fading. By the time we started up the stairs at least ten minutes had passed.

As I reached the top of the steps I surveyed the porch (which ran the whole length of the building) and it was just as I remembered it. Wicker sofas and chairs with high back wooden rocking chairs interspersed for as far as I could see. The front door was imposing, at least 40 inches wide, with the words “The Hollywood” etched into the glass which covered the top half of it. It was really like stepping back into time as I surveyed the lobby. The front desk was to the right and the dining room right across from it. The only thing I noticed different was an elevator where the billiard room used to be. As I headed for the desk Elle asked where the rest rooms were located. I really didn’t know. I don’t think I ever used the public restroom when I was there. There was no one behind the counter so I rang the little push bell. By now Elle was looking at me, pleadingly. I told her to look down the hall just to the left of the counter just as a woman in her mid to late 40’s appeared. Once she opened her mouth I knew I was in the South. I heard a lilting southern drawl as she asked if she could help me. I asked for the owners and told her I had a letter for them from a long time former guest. A frown quickly appeared on her face and she told me that one of them had died a few years ago. I knew my grandfather would be upset to hear that but asked if the other brother was available. She tried to defer me but her curiosity got the best of her and she asked who the letter was from. Once I told her my grandfather’s name her whole demeanor changed.

At that point she identified herself as the daughter in law of the deceased man. She said that she definitely remembered my grandparents and gave a brief description of both. Then she said she’d be right back and disappeared into a back room. The girls were back but Elle and the baby had yet to appear. Freed from the confines of the station wagon they were ready to use up some pent up energy so started running around the lobby. It was empty so I let them get away with it knowing that Elle would corral them when she returned. Before she did an older, balding man walked up to me and introduced himself as being the other brother. Even though I vaguely remembered him from eight or so years earlier I was a bit shocked. I didn’t expect him to be that old. Of course he wanted to hear how my grandparents were doing, especially my grandfather. It was at this time that Elle appeared. A quick glance at her face told me the story. I introduced her and then continued about my grandfather. The man seemed sincerely interested so I continued until Elle tugged on my arm. I knew it was coming.

I gave the man the letter and told him we had to be on our way. Elle gathered up the kids and as I was about to say goodbye he asked where we were staying. That truly caught me by surprise but, when I didn’t quickly respond he suggested that we stay there. I can tell you my first thought was “Oh no!” as the memory of the place was that it was strictly for old people. In the times I’d stayed there all I remember was people my grandparents age. Before I could conjure up an escape he said that they had two adjoining rooms on the first floor that were available. I looked at Elle and couldn’t get a “read” off of her expression. Then, the man pointed to a sign at the entryway to the dining room that proclaimed “Wednesday Buffet - 5pm to 7pm” saying that it would be perfect for the kids. I really didn’t want to stay but with the man’s ties to my grandfather being what they were I also didn’t want to upset him. I asked Elle and she just shrugged her shoulders.

To be continued... 

1 comment:

badside said...

Another interesting post PM. LOL, I can almost smell the place in my mind.