Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A BIG STEP... wise or not (Part 113b)

A BIG STEP... wise or not (Part 113b)

Unfortunately, the weekend didn’t lend itself to panty play. As I’d been doing for a few weeks, I went to Ferd’s house to work on the race car. On this day I managed to get my right hand burned and, after a trip to the ER, I went home to listen to Elle tell me I was stupid to continue to work on the car. However, the time at home allowed me to meet some people who were interested in buying our mobile home. They were very interested but wanted to negotiate the price. I’d set it knowing exactly what I needed for the purchase of the house so didn’t have much, if any, “wiggle room”. They wanted to wait until the first of the year to take ownership which was a slight problem what with the projected settlement on the house projected as the very end of November. But it was the price that was at issue.

Elle and I already knew we would have to furnish the house and my parents had indicated that they would help us out. With the passing of my grandfather my father was saddled with disposing of his house and all the contents. My mother, wisely, had told my father that Elle and I would not be interested in turn of the century (and older) antiques. Also to be disposed of was all their own furniture from their apartment in the city that was stored in the carriage house. My mother had promised us that we’d get to look at it before the auction. We both liked the living room furniture we had in the mobile home and Elle had expressed a desire to keep it, especially the sofa bed for the den area of the house. So... taking a chance I offered to lower the price to take into consideration of our keeping the furniture. Initially, it was rejected. The lady took her husband aside and when they came back we had a “handshake deal” even if I couldn’t actually use mine.

I thought I was home free what with a mortgage commitment and a contract on the sale of the mobile home. Man, was I in for a rude awakening! I’d bought two mobile homes and it had been as easy as buying a car. I had NO idea of just how complicated buying and “settling” on a house was. Over the next few weeks I was educated on the process. My naive notion was that with the $20,000 from the bank for the mortgage and the $5,000 from the sale of our unit I was “in business”. If it hadn’t been for an off hand comment from J J, I would’ve really been in trouble. He asked if I knew what my “closing costs” were going to be. I’m sure the blank stare he got in response made him laugh, at least internally. Fully embarrassed, he “schooled" me after work that night. When I left to go home my head was reeling. I had to come up with more money and it was money that I didn’t have. As I remember it the amount was almost $1,500 to cover PMI (private mortgage insurance that the bank required), homeowners insurance, fuel oil in the tank, property taxes, title search and on and on. When I saw Elle I didn’t know what to tell her.

I won’t bore you with all the machinations between then and the actual closing where we walked away as homeowners. The month of November was a blur. Almost everything we did was about the house. I really don’t remember much about work (... did I really go?) except that Judy was making no friends upstairs in the mortgage department. I even heard the bank appraiser make an off hand comment that she had the personality of a rock. In my area, it came out (literally and figuratively) that Mala was pregnant which explained the sudden marriage. There also was a rumor that the president was going to host a Christmas party which had all the ”old timers“ all abuzz. From what I’d heard Christmas had been almost a non event in the past so  if it were true it would be a ”first“.

The previous owners had left some furniture behind that we gladly accepted. The most important was the furniture for the master bedroom. Of all the other furniture we’d lined up there was nothing for us in that vein. My father hired a friend with a flatbed truck to haul the furniture my parents were lending/giving to us from my grandfather’s carriage house. I’d lined up J J and Bret to help us move the furniture into the house. An old friend, Jay from when I worked for the County in the data processing department, also volunteered. He still had his four wheel drive pick up and said he’d bring the furniture that we were taking from the mobile home. We walked out of the attorney’s office around 2pm, or so, officially homeowners. By 7pm we had all the furniture in place. J J, who was still waiting for his house to be finished, was presently living in the rented house less than a quarter mile away so he’d been the last to leave. As I was thanking him for his help he made the comment that I’d ”stolen” my house. I didn’t know what he meant and when he explained it I was somewhat shocked. My house was actually bigger than his was going to be and the cost to buy his property and build the house was over $6,000 more than I’d paid. It made me feel better but, in my mind, I was still worried about being having enough money to pay for everything on a month to month basis.

We’d taken the kids to Elle’s parents so they were not a worry. Running on adrenalin, Elle and I worked past midnight unpacking boxes and putting things in their place. When we finally decided to ”crash“ we realized we still had to make our bed. Once there I was out cold. It wasn’t the same for Elle who just rolled and tossed. I don’t remember how long it was before she grabbed me and, obviously frightened, told me she’d heard some moaning from one of the front bedrooms (we were in the back of the house). She wanted me to go find out if someone was in the house. I’m not the bravest person in the world but I’m also not a coward. I hadn’t heard the sound so I turned on the light and headed down the hall. I hadn’t gotten very far when I heard it too. Long story short... the house wasn’t haunted as she’d thought. It was a sick cow in the pasture across the road. However, it made for an unforgettable first night in out new home.

To be continued...

No comments: