Wednesday, July 24, 2013

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112h)

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112h)

The first call Elle got to come in and substitute teach came the second week of October. She (we) got lucky because it was for a whole week. It was a lot easier for both of us knowing she was going in to work instead of having to react to a phone call and only having about 45 minutes to get everything done before leaving for work. Elle’s mother agreed to come three days a week which left us sort of scrambling for the other two days. Back at the end of the Summer we’d gotten together with a young Swedish couple, Lars and Natalie, who’d moved into the park during the Summer. They both worked full time but the girl’s mother was living with them. With nice weather during September and Elle not working she would often put the baby in the stroller and walk around the park. On a few occasions the mother joined them. Other than having a bit of trouble understanding the lady (she was learning English) they hit it off quite well. Elle had dropped a hint that she might need help and the woman indicated that she might be willing. 

Very pretty, Birgitta was the woman’s name. It was hard to look at her and realize her daughter was about the same age as Elle and I. When Elle called she was delighted. Elle wanted her to come to our place but, through her broken English, indicated she’d be more comfortable if we brought the kids to her. It meant a lot of extra work for us but it was the best we could do. Elle’s mother was able to come Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Since Elle had to leave for school by 7:50am it left me to deliver the girls that Monday with all their things. It took me about ten minutes to load it into my car just to drive it about a quarter of a mile. Birgitta was all excited when we arrived but Anne wasn’t so sure about it. Kaye was absolutely dead set against it. As soon as she saw the lady she started screaming. I pretty much knew it was coming because she was definitely a “mommy’s girl”. As I left I felt bad for both of them.

When I walked into the bank I saw most of the tellers gathered around Mala’s teller’s station. Trish was among them so I knew I’d get the “real scoop“. I asked Bret if he knew what was going on and all he did was to shrug his shoulders. When the doors opened to the public Trish was still by Mala so when this well dressed lady came to the gate Bret stepped up to ask if he could help her. To be truthful, she looked out of place. Our area was primarily rural with farming as the basis for the economy. This lady looked ”citified“, for sure. There were two other things that caught my eye(s)... a very short, dark skirt and one of the biggest diamonds I’d ever seen.

She seemed very intense as she spoke to Bret before sitting down. I was intrigued, for sure. I made like I was busy but was really concentrating on Bret and the lady. I watched her pull a piece of paper from her pocket book and give it to Bret. Then she sat back in her chair and crossed her legs. WOW! It was like she was in slow motion. It was for only a quick peek but I definitely saw a flash of white in the ”magic triangle“. Then she sat there and looked at Bret. After Bret started to speak to her she sat bolt upright, uncrossing her legs and turned her body towards Bret. When she did her right leg remained planted on the floor where it landed after uncrossing her legs. But, she moved her left leg at least a foot towards Bret. What that created was like a tunnel... with the end of it at her crotch. With no exaggeration it was the best sitting upskirt I’d ever seen. The hem of her very short skirt was only about three inches from the material that covered her privates. It was a good thing she was upset and focused on Bret because if she’d looked my way... well... it would’ve been embarrassing.

My ”view“ was unobstructed for at least 30 seconds, and probably a bit more. Bret, obviously under attack, turned to me for help. It had to do with FDIC insurance coverage on bank accounts and she wanted all of her $50,000 deposit covered. I got Bret squared away and sat back hoping for more but I ended up having to solve a problem on the teller line. However, I couldn’t wait to tell Bret about what he’d been so close to but had missed.

The BIG news that had all the tellers interest was that Mala had gotten married over the weekend. Trish was less than enthusiastic as she’d mentioned a time or two that Mala’s boyfriend was a jerk. It didn’t make sense to me as Mala was probably the most level headed of all the tellers. I wondered (to myself) why would a bright young woman get involved with someone like that? When Bret got the ”word“ I remember him shaking his head in disbelief. As far as I knew they were only boyfriend/girlfriend and weren’t engaged. It didn’t appear to be a big deal to her because here she was back at work. Strange!

Things worked out for Birgitta and the kids. Anne made it to school on time and Kaye stopped crying. Elle said that when she stopped to pick her up she clung to her like her life depended on it. Elle suggested that Birgitta stop by our place to visit with her mother and the baby the next few days so the baby would get used to seeing her. She thought it was a good idea.

Kaye, the ”baby“ was now 18 months old and was very mobile. Once freed from her crib the whole place was her domain and with the cooler weather it was becoming even more of a problem. Elle was pushing me to get back to work on the house plans that we’d bought back in the Spring and I knew she was right. I just had to get my mind back on the subject.

Ferd, the guy who was helping me fix the race car, and I had come up with a plan of attack. He worked a half a day on Saturdays so we decided that we’d work from 1pm until dark on the car. What got done, got done and what didn’t could wait until the following week. Listening to him it was going to be fairly easy. We’d removed the motor, transmission and rear end and were ready to cut away the rear cross member. I liked working with him as he was very ”laid back“. His wife, to make extra money, baked custom birthday cakes. On my first visit to work on the car I was treated to a piece of a ”failed“ cake. Whatever the ”failure“ was it was beyond me. It was delicious. I remember hoping for more ”failed“ treats.

To be continued..
      

1 comment:

oldblue said...

Every now and then the perfect storm hits and time stops. Seconds, minutes, you are completely unaware. Been there, done that, is anyone aware of what you are engrossed in, you don't care.