Tuesday, July 23, 2013

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112g)

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112g)

Elle knew something was bothering me but I’d decided back when I was working at the first bank that I wouldn’t bring problems home with me. To get it off my mind I decided to call Ferd to see if he was willing to work on the race car. He seemed glad to hear from me and he said he’d borrow a wrecker to town my car to his place. By the time we finished up for the day I’d put the hiring situation on the back burner.

As soon as we walked in the door getting home from church the phone rang. It was Bret. He’d been worried that I had it in mind to hire Judy to fill the position that Joanne was supposed to take. I told him about the letter she’d brought and that it was really out of my hands. It was the first time I sensed any real emotion from Bret. He proceeded to tell me a few experiences he’d been a party to that involved her and they weren’t pretty. In essence, he was begging me to do anything to keep her out of our area. I told him I’d try but I didn’t really know how.

Life evolves in strange ways. We’d just finished dinner when the phone rang again. This time it was J J. As I’ve written more than once, I liked him but he sometimes tended to be a “PITA” (pain in the ass). Right after he’d been hired he talked his way into having his own secretary even though the president and vice president shared one. It never set well with me but I wasn’t in a position to say anything about it. He’d been “fishing” for another clerk for the mortgage department to replace one of the women who was pregnant. I had a problem with his thinking in that she’d just announced her pregnancy and was probably going to work for at least another three months.

When I picked up the phone I had no idea what the call was about. My past experiences with him calling at home was for him to ask for some kind of help. However, since he’d brought his wife out from the city those requests had pretty much dried up. I was flabbergasted when he asked about “the pretty blonde” I’d had at my desk when he left for home. Even though I knew he had  an eye for the ladies he’d never asked something like that before. I pleaded ignorance and made him tell me why he wanted to know.

Somehow he knew I was back to interviewing. He proceeded to start in again about needing someone to replace the pregnant woman. All of a sudden it came to me... send Judy up to him and let her become his problem. I didn’t tell him that but told him I couldn’t do anything unless I knew he had permission to hire someone. He assured me that he would. I told him she was due back in the next day and I’d see that he got a chance to interview her. He sounded happy when he hung the phone up.

When Judy arrived Monday morning I took a closer look at her. While she was sitting waiting to meet with me I decided that she actually was cute. She was wearing a Summer dress and it looked like the bodice was tailored as she definitely had a figure. My next thought was that it was too bad she didn’t have a personality to go with it. When Trish brought her over to my desk I suggested that we go upstairs and I’d introduce her to the mortgage officer. I don’t think she said a word even after J J had said “hello”.

Bret and Trish wanted to know what was going on and all I could do was smile. Long story short... J J got permission to hire her. (Once her connection to the former Trustee came to light it was approved.) The one thing I remember when the “word” filtered down was Bret just shaking his head from side to side with a smirky smile on his face.

I mentioned the work “politics” when Judy had presented the letter from her grandfather. Her being hired by J J for the mortgage department actually bought him some “brownie points” and much to my surprise, cost me the opportunity for an employee. Hobie came to me later that day and said that “they” (senior management) felt that we had enough employees for the time being and that “they” would reassess the situation in early December. Hearing that, all I could do was hope what Bret and Trish had told me about Judy was right.

It only took a few days before “word” started filtering down from upstairs that Judy was “strange”. As much as I wanted to I had to resist asking J J about her. I was bound and determined to let him come to me. The ONLY positive that I was able to come up with concerning her was I was positive she was wearing band leg panties, probably cotton. On one of her first days she had to complete forms for her personnel file. She was sitting at the table in the waiting area and only had one cheek on her chair. Her dress was pulled tight against her butt and, with all the experience I’d garnered in looking at panties, I was almost 100% positive. Regardless of personality, a panty peek, even if it was only a VPL, was Ok by me.

To be continued...
      

1 comment:

oldblue said...

I guess that old saying holds true, when life hands you a lemon you make lemonade. You hand JJ a lemon and get a little lemonade in a vpl, plus a little payback.