Friday, July 05, 2013

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112a)

SLOWING THINGS DOWN... time to regroup (Part 112a)

By the time I got home it was after 2am. I was still ”wired“ and glad Elle was asleep. It took quite a while for me to fall off and then when I did it wasn’t for long. I’d been asked by the ambulance people if I was OK and, other than being a little dazed right after hitting the guard rail, felt fine. When I woke up I ached all over and couldn’t understand it. The top of my shoulders were especially sore and when I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror I saw why. When I hit (and immediately stopped) the shoulder harness dug into my shoulders and I could see red streaks from the top of my shoulders down about two to three inches on each side. My hips ached a bit two and when I looked at them it was the same thing. The seat belts had dug into my flesh and left their marks as well. Seeing them had me reliving the ”hit“ and I could clearly remember my body leaving the seat. Without waking Elle I got dressed and headed up to look at the car in the daylight.

I was shocked. Even though I’d looked at it in the pits I swear it didn’t look anywhere near as twisted as what I saw it in daylight.  I climbed in and sat in the seat. I could barely reach the right hand side of the steering wheel because I'd bent the steering post and moved it over that far. As I sat there I pretty much realized that my car racing days were over. The day before I was thinking all I needed was a decent motor and now I didn’t even have a car.

Later, Elle was pretty upset after she saw the car and pleaded with me to give up racing. Being a realist it wasn't hard to give in to her. My thoughts quickly went to figuring out what I could get for the various parts and pieces that were left. Again, being a realist the answer was ”not much“. It didn’t make me feel any better. By noon time I found I had a big bruise on my left calf and it was getting harder and harder to walk. It had started to rain and knew I should go at least cover the car but I was so ”bummed“ that I didn’t.

Even with a bad leg it was good to get back to work. Bret knew me well enough by then not to talk racing to me. The new hire, Joanne, was waiting at my desk for me. I’d decided to have Mala, the best teller I had, do the training. I wanted Mala’s no nonsense intensity to get the new girl’s attention. She had to be ”ready to go“ in just three weeks. As I mentioned before, Joanne was a tall girl and standing next to Mala made her seem even taller. She was wearing a khaki skirt and, somewhat surprisingly, it was tight enough to see the outline of the leg elastics from her panties with her just standing there. It was Bret who brought it to my attention.

I’d tried to avoid J J the previous week and had been fairly successful. This Monday was a different story. As I’ve said a time of two before I liked J J in spite of some of his annoying habits. One of them was that his needs always seemed to come first. I’ve also mentioned that my job responsibilities continued to expand. I can’t deny that I sort of asked for it by asking questions that usually led to me being told to go find the answer. One of the things I’d discovered was that the bank had no inventory control on just about everything. I’d made a cursory attempt to get my arms around supplies for my area and had it in mind to start something for both the mortgage and accounting areas. On this day J J appeared at my desk waving a couple of forms and wanting to know where they rest of them were kept. Still ”down“ both physically and mentally from the wreck I verbally jumped all over him. I couldn’t believe it when the half smile never left his face. It was almost like it was impossible for him to get upset of even frown.

By lunch time I’d calmed down and went upstairs to apologize. I always walked knowing that I could beat the elevator and, more importantly, there was also a chance for an upskirt from the switchboard operator. I don’t think I got lucky that day but I had come up with a suggestion for J J. One of the things that had been overlooked when the building was remodeled was storage space for those working on the second floor. For some reason I remembered my visit to the attic when the fuses had blown on the air conditioning unit. There was a lot of empty space up there so, after the apology, took him up there. He agreed it would work and I told him that I’d arrange to have shelves built. I also told him that he’d have to handle his own inventory. He smiled.

When we came down the stairs the door was closed. I explained how the system worked since the ladies bathroom was right there. I do remember seeing his face light up when I told what the closed door meant. Seeing that got me to wondering about what his time without his wife had been like what with Amy living right next door. I didn’t dare ask though. When the door opened, just to make conversation, I asked how the move of his family went. Since the look on his face seldom changed I couldn’t tell if he was lying or not but he said it went smoothly. Thinking of his wife (a shrew) It was hard to believe.

I needed gas for my car during the week and when I stopped at James garage he handed me an envelope. It took a few seconds for me to remember that I’d given his daughter, Peggy, the Evette catalog over a week before. I was hoping that James wouldn’t ask what was inside and he didn’t. With the envelope in hand I couldn’t wait to see what, if anything, Peggy had selected for herself. I found a note with page numbers and descriptions. The panties were listed in the front and I was disappointed that I didn’t see any page numbers to correspond with them. She had some things that were obviously for her mother and then I saw the word ”slip“ and, knowing they were packaged two in a box hope one might be for her. I slipped the catalog back in the envelope and headed for work.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

JJ seems to have some interesting things going on, wonder if they'll be revealed later? Also wondering how Joanne works out.