Wednesday, April 02, 2014

TIME MARCHES ON... changes (Part 122k)

TIME MARCHES ON... changes (Part 122k)

The reaction to my costume ranged from outright hilarity to snide remarks. I was pleased to see that two more employees showed up in costume making a total of five, not including me. Katie made her own. She came as a black cat. The body of it was one of her grandfather’s old union suits, dyed black, complete with a buttoned ”trap door“. She pulled a pair of black panty hose over her head. She cut off most of the legs using them to make a tail that she attached to the ”trap door“. With the little that was left of the legs she made ears. Some bristles from a broom made whiskers and that completed the outfit. Netta, the new switchboard operator, showed up in her high school cheerleader outfit. Bret almost choked when he saw her in it. Jaz, the new bookkeeping machine operator, came as a clown, or so she claimed. It was mix and match outfit that made no sense to me. One of the women in the mortgage department dressed as a flapper, using some of her mother’s old (and I mean OLD!) clothes. I could smell the mothballs as I took a look at her. All in all I was pleased.

To encourage participation the Chamber offered a chance for prizes to those who did dress up. I was not eligible as I had been designated as one of five judges. I was out of my costume by 10am. I was to meet the other judges for a quick lunch at Chamber headquarters but before I left I got another ”treat“. I was headed to the coat room and saw Katie walking through the work area. Her tail was dragging and as I watched her walk by I saw why. the buttons that were supposed to hold her ”trap door“ closed seemed to be gone and the flap was all the way down. White panties surrounded by black make for a startling contrast. My first thought was to turn around to see if Bret was at his desk. He was and I was able to get his attention and pointed towards Katie who was now out behind the tellers area retrieving a ledger card. I knew it wasn’t very nice but I knew he was a bit of a ”panty man“. He didn’t know what I was trying to tell him so came over to me. I told him to watch Katie as she went back to the drive up window. I was going to be late so continued towards the back room but did turn around to get a glimpse of Bret’s face. It was priceless.

Each of the five judges had around nine members to visit. None could vote on their own shop and I ended up on the east end of town. Almost all of the businesses were ”Mom and Pop“ type with few employees. It wasn’t all that hard for me because there were only about 25 people in costume. My choice was fairly easy and in a way was somewhat unfair. The lady owned a fabric store that also sold patterns and sewing machines. She had made her costume in the form of a butterfly. It was truly outstanding. By the time I got back to the bank it was mid afternoon. I’d barely walked in the door when Trish told me to go over to the public restroom. It was located somewhat under the stairs. Hank, the messenger custodian, was standing guard just outside the door. The problem was that the toilet was stopped up and he’d tried to unclog and was unsuccessful. In the process water had flooded the room. He’d had Bret contact the plumber but wanted me to replace him for a minute so he could go get the mop and pail to soak up the water. I’d just walked in so wasn’t involved in anything so said I would.

I mentioned the stairway... which was curved and was ”open“ on the lobby side. Over time I’d had an occasional upskirt look but, because there was no reason for employees to be over there, it was rare. The intention would’ve been fairly obvious if anyone went over and just stood there. But, with Hank walking away and the flooding problem known, I did have a reason. It didn’t take long for me to hear voices above me. I knew I had to be careful with my ”glances“. When I took my first look it was Netta and another person. Netta was right up against the handrail and when I looked up it about took my breath away. I’d forgotten that she’d worn her high school cheerleader outfit and when I saw her whole bare leg... well, it was a shock. I probably looked up at her long enough for her to go down at least six or so steps. The local high school colors were were grey and red and what broke my ”trance“ was the bright red panties I was looking at. But it was the white that was peeking out from under the red leg elastics that finished me off. After looking away for a quick second or so I went right back again. It became readily apparent that the uniform panties were too small and her regular panties had worked out from under the leg elastics. I won’t say I was drooling but it was close. I didn’t know if anyone in the lobby or any of the tellers had seem me leering up at her but as Netta walked by, still talking to the person who’d accompanied her down the stairs, it was obvious that she hadn’t caught me. WHEW!

Jerena had won the prize for the category we (the bank) had been put in. Those Chamber members who did not deal in merchandise were lumped together. Her prize was a $10 gift certificate to be used at any member store. But, as the prize winner she was still eligible for the grand prize which was to be decided on Monday, Halloween. All the winners from Friday were to gather at the Chamber offices at 3pm and the three officers would make the final determination. First prize was a $20 gift certificate with second getting one for $15 and third $10. (For 1966, that was real money!) As she left for the night she walked by my desk, smiled and whispered ”Thanks“. I know my face turned red.

I was stuck with the Friday night duty and when Bret stopped to stay goodnight he also had a ‘Thank you” for me. It was for putting him on to Katie’s “trap door” mishap. I was tempted to tell him about Netta but didn’t, knowing his past history with her. When I finally left for home I couldn’t help but wonder if Monday would bring forth the same good fortune. It had been quite a while since there had been any “activity” in that vein. It seemed like they came in bunches. I knew, for sure, I’d be much more aware of Netta, even if her work area was upstairs.

To be continued...

No comments: