Tuesday, March 08, 2016

TRANSITIONING... to Autumn (Part 141a)

TRANSITIONING... into Fall (Part 141a)

Sunday was spent at church, painting and cleaning up. With painting being a mindless exercise I found myself thinking about returning to work. With all that had transpired during the week I’d rarely given it a thought. The most pressing thing was the training I’d have to go through for the upcoming conversion of the bank’s ledger card system over to the service bureau and computer. I’d put off doing it prior to vacation and now had to face it full on. I was really excited about what it would be like once the new system was fully operational but had some fears about ‘glitches’ getting the ledger information over to the computer. There was only one way to go... forward.

Seeing sandbags piled around the cellar entrance as I pulled into the parking area was a reminder to me of just how high the tides had been during the storm. The bank building was actually built into the riverbed. The river was located right at the back part of the parking lot and every time we had an Easterly storm there was a concern that the cellar might get flooded. I’d only seen the need for the sandbags once since I’d started at the bank but, remembering how high the tide had been at my parent’s house, it made sense.

Hank was there to greet me as I walked up to the door. Inside, the only teller at her station was Gina and I got a ‘knowing’ smile as I passed by. I was pleasantly surprised to see Trish at her desk as she was a true nine to fiver. As soon as I walked through the gate to my desk, she followed. Turning to look at her it was obvious she had something to tell me. Far from the days after I started at the bank and could hardly get her to acknowledge me, I’d been ‘elevated’ to being one of the first to hear the ‘latest'. In thinking about it now as I’m writing this I remember being somewhat shocked. However, after having written about some of the events leading up this point, and having it all fresh in my mind, I probably shouldn’t have been. The ‘news’, such as it was, concerned Laura and Joanie. Laura was going to be moving in with Joanie and her parents. My first thought concerned Laura. I remember wondering why she would put herself in such a situation what with Joanie’s mother being an invalid and her father being an alcoholic. But Trish , probably seeing the look on my face, quickly explained the reasoning behind it.

Laura had been renting a garage apartment from the lady who’d just retired from the accounting area. When the lady retired Laura was told the house and property would be put up for sale and that she should start looking for another place to live. I knew all of that but hadn’t kept up with the situation. When Joanie came to sit in for Trish while she was on vacation, she’d become friends with Laura. I was pleased as I felt they were good for each other but this, to me, was beyond comprehension. In any case, when Laura told her that she was going to have to move Joanie offered to have her live with her. As they were both lonely and shared some of the same interests they began to pursue it further. As an added incentive Laura wouldn’t have to pay rent only having to put some money in for food. As Trish was telling me all of this I kept glancing over at Laura. I think my first words to Trish were ”I hope it works!“

Next was Bret’s ‘blow by blow’ description of the mini panic when the rising tide  got up to the main part of the parking lot. I’m not going to say that I would’ve picked up on it sooner than that but, by the time they did, it was almost too late to get sand and bags to build a ‘dam’ around the cellar entrance area. Some water did get in but they were able to keep it from doing any real damage. Bret added that they only had three tellers and about a dozen customers on Wednesday. Other than that it was just a slow week, one of the reasons I’d chosen it for vacation time.

Hobie had the real ‘news’. Pressured by the service bureau to get started on the training he committed me to spending Wednesday and Thursday at their facility. He’d been given an outline of what was planned for me and it looked like it would be two very busy days. I spent almost all of that Monday going through the mail and responding to it. Tuesday was gathering the detail of all our product offerings (accounts) and the rates of interest paid on each to review with the service bureau’s programming staff. In so doing I even found there were things I wasn’t aware that we offered. By the time I left for home my head was ‘swimming’.

The service bureau was about an hour and a half away from the bank. I knew that from the trips I’d made when doing the initial research. However... I’d not made the trip during ‘rush hour’. I left my house at around 6:30am figuring on arriving at 8:30am. Adding the 15 minutes from my house to the bank and then the heavy traffic the trip took about 2 1/2 hours. The service bureau ‘big wigs’ were waiting (impatiently) for me. I was met by the vice president, Bruce, and his assistant, Albie. Also there was George, the man who was responsible for producing all the transaction journals we would need in place of our existing ledger cards. The last one was Grace, the lady who would oversee not only my training but, when the time came, that of all our tellers.

After handshakes and greetings I was turned over to Grace. She was a pleasant looking woman around forty years old. She had an easy way about her and, as I was about to find out, the patience of Job. She led me into their training facility where she introduced me to the new style teller machine. She knew the ‘ins and outs’ of it like she’d been the one to design it. I was overwhelmed right from the start. I had to slow her down and plead for her to ”speak English“. After a laugh we were able to communicate fairly well. She wanted to focus on what I’d be able to do in the way of minor repairs without having to call for repair service. She winked when she told me that I wasn’t to tell anybody from the manufacturer about what she was showing me.

Being mechanically inclined that part was fairly straight forward. When she took the cover off to show me the processor which was underneath I got something I certainly wasn’t expecting. To point out some of the key components she got down on her haunches. Thoroughly engrossed in what she was talking about and pointing towards what I learned was a ‘mother board’ she had spread her legs creating a nice open pathway to her crotch. Very thankfully she wasn’t looking at me when she did. She was on one corner of the machine and I was on the other not more than two feet way. Her skirt was short enough to let a fair amount of light in and what I saw was something I’d never seen before. Her crotch seemed to have, for lack of a better description, dimples. After seeing that I lost all concentration on what she was talking about. The peek lasted for maybe ten seconds but it was long enough that I would’ve bet money on the ‘dimples’.

To be continued...

No comments: