Tuesday, March 01, 2016

WINDING DOWN... Summer (Part 140m)

WINDING DOWN... Summer (Part 140m)

I just knew it was a mistake to have offered to help the neighbor cut up the tree that had fallen and blocking their kitchen door. I figured it would only be a matter of time before someone would come over and knock on our door so, already out in the weather, I decided to go to “B’s” father and to borrow his chain saw. It would save me a trip later. He had always been a ‘talker’ and this day was no different. I got the saw and was on my way in about a half hour which I felt was fairly good. I still had Elle’s grocery shopping to do as well as to pump out “B’s” sailboat and it was getting late. The rain had let up a bit in it’s intensity but the wind was still fairly strong as I made my way across the market parking lot. Inside I found mostly bare shelves and few employees. I corralled one to ask what was going on. Because of the severe weather following the holiday weekend deliveries were delayed. I could see unopened boxes in the aisles but no one was re-stocking the shelves. I made an attempt to get the things on Elle’s list but it was mostly a waste of my time.

The next stop was “B’s” boat. However, when I tried to turn in to the marina I was greeted with a saw horse blocking the way. There was a limp cardboard sign attached to it saying that the driveway was impassible due to the high water. Just past the entryway was a gravel driveway to a couple of houses off in the woods so I pulled in there. My shoes were already wet so started walking over to the boat. I was amazed at just how much rainwater had fallen since I’d left in the morning. The new pump made for quick work getting it down to the floorboards. I didn’t worry about getting it all out knowing I’d be back in the morning. But, since hand pumping is a mindless task I got to wondering just how Elle’s mother was making out with the high water. I could almost see the roof from where I was. I pretty much remembered that the cellar had a sump pump and as long as there was electricity it would be OK. With the thought in mind I decided to win some ‘brownie points’ by going the rest of the way down the road to her house. She was glad to see me since she’d been alone since early Monday morning. Elle’s father was at his fishing boat and had been there over night. She expected that he’d stay on this night as well. I called Elle from there and although not happy was glad to hear from me and was appreciative that I’d stopped by to check on her mother. That triggered the thought that I better go across the street to see my parents or that  would become a problem that I didn’t need.

The view of the bay from there showed waves braking over the dock. I also noted that most of the handrail was missing and that a large tree stump was wedged under the dock itself. My father volunteered that the storm would be over by the next afternoon. I remember thinking that this was no way to spend my vacation time.

I’d been right about the neighbors. Bill, the new principal, had come over as soon as he got home from school. Elle reported that all he wanted was to be able to get into the house through the kitchen door. Because I’d not gotten some of the food that Elle wanted it was going to be slim pickings for supper so I decided to head next door with the saw. I was pretty wet, again, and I figured that it’d only take a few minutes to cut the few branches away that were blocking the door. Thankfully, “B’s” father had shown me a sure fire way of starting the saw and, as expected it only took a few minutes of cutting to clear the path to the door. I was just finishing up when the kitchen door opened. It was Bill and he thanked me profusely. All I wanted to do was go home but he had some questions about what to do without electricity. I told him, that in his case, he’d have to get an electrician to hook him back up as there was power to his garage. I reminded him not to flush the toilets as the water pump wouldn’t work. The look on his face told me that my advice was too late.

While talking with him I made an effort to see if Barbara was there and if she was still in her nightie. With no real light I couldn’t see much. I was about to leave at that point when Phyllis, his wife appeared. She was the last person I wanted to see at that moment. However, she really surprised me. Without the usual ‘edge’ in her voice she offered up the fact that she had food in the refrigerator that would go bad if it wasn’t kept cold. I didn’t know if she was offering it to me or what so just stood there. But she continued on by saying that she’d share it with us if we would allow her to cook it at our house. My first reaction was ‘here we go again!’ with her asserting her wishes on me. She continued by saying that she and her girls would do the clean up and Elle wouldn’t have to do much at all.

I was processing this whole scene when my stomach growled as if to say “don’t be stupid... it’s free food and we don’t have much, if anything, to eat ourselves“ I told her I’d go ask Elle and headed home. The only concern Elle had was where we’d put everybody with seven of them and five of us. Elle smiled and immediately said ”the dining room table!“ as it only got used for eating at Christmas.

It turned out to be a wonderful meal as well as a good time. Phyllis had brought back a whole batch of honest to goodness German sauerbraten from her weekend visit with her relatives. My girls weren’t overwhelmed by it but they managed. All in all it was very pleasant and, other than Phyllis bossing her kids around a bit, very easy going. Bill and I got to chat a bit while the older girls and women cleaned up. I got to ask him some of the questions that had never been raised at the school board open meeting. He was very candid and opined that Wally, the Board president, could be difficult to deal with but he felt he had the students best interest at heart. He volunteered that one of the very first things that would take place the following school year would be almost all new text books for the high school. That had been one of the issues raised by the ‘group' when Elle and I first got involved with them and the school.

Since they had no electricity and it was getting dark we invited them to stay with us for as long as they wanted. Barbara, who looked a lot better than she’d looked that afternoon, and her sister played games with the kids allowing the adults to get to know each other better. When Elle told Phyllis that her mother had come from Germany when she was but 18 years old it was like we’d become part of her family. It was amazing. Phyllis wanted to meet Elle’s mother as soon as she could so they could talk about where all their relatives had originated. It was close to 10pm when they left. I did ask if there would be school the next day and Bill’s answer was “Yes... as long as there was electricity”.

To be continued...

No comments: