Sunday, July 03, 2016

FINISHING OUT THE YEAR... Gina 144a)

FINISHING OUT THE YEAR... Gina (Part 144a)

Hobie’s comment stopped me cold. I was literally speechless. He’d been the one who’d told me flat “NO!” when it came to promoting Gina to the new position of (Chief Clerk) I’d proposed. He ended up naming Lorie, the bookkeeping (computer?) machine operator, to fill the position even though she had no supervisory, teller, or monetary experience. When that happened it was one of those classic ‘the boss may not always be right but he’s always the boss’ situations for me. I’d been so frustrated with his decision that I did something that may not have been ethical as far as my employer, the bank, was concerned, but as far as Gina was concerned, was deserved when I helped find her a better position at another bank. With that all but done I stood there not believing what I’d just heard him say. Hearing his words I remember my first thought being that I wished I’d not done it as I felt Gina was one of the best employees the bank had and knew we’d miss her. However, I was too shocked to do anything but stand there and look stupid. Hobie, thankfully, didn’t ‘push’ me on it as he was anxious to get home.

As he walked across the lobby to leave I was truly relieved. On the other hand now I had to figure out just what to do. I don’t remember how many deep breaths I took as he disappeared from my view. I do remember sitting down at my desk and just sitting there. Bret came up to me as he was leaving and asked if I was OK. I honestly don’t remember if I even responded. After everyone had gone I finally made an effort to think through my options... and there were only two.

One, of course, was to tell Gina and to ask if she might reconsider. That was the ‘reaction’ my brain came up with. However, reality took control and I realized Hobie hadn’t come out and told me that Gina could (or should) have the position. I needed to talk with him before opening my mouth. The second was to do nothing and live with the way it was planned. After a while I realized that the whole thing needed more time and headed for home.

I was almost there when another thought came to mind... If Gina stayed and took the Chief Clerk position what would happen to Lorie. She and I didn’t see ‘eye to eye’ when I started at the bank but, as time passed we began working better together. She was good at what she did but that job was the only one she’d ever done. I had no idea what to do with her. Pulling in the driveway I was more confused than ever.

I’m sure Elle accused me of being “distant” as I ate and, knowing me as I do, I probably was. Once in bed my mind was free to add the last problem (Lorie) into the mix. I remember being awake when Elle’s alarm went off for her first bathroom visit. By the time the second alarm (around 4am) I’d formulated the beginnings of a plan.

Lorie was attractive, of that there was no doubt, but she was also an independent thinker. If there had been one constant thing about J J, the mortgage officer, since his hiring it was that he liked ALL good looking females. As I lay in bed going over all the positions in the bank I couldn’t come up with a vacancy in any area. But... J J was always pushing Bert for more help. J J was a salesman at heart and I, personally resisted just about anything he wanted. However, Bert was susceptible to his ‘pitch’ so, my idea was to suggest Lorie as a smart, mature, hard working loyal employee to him. If he went for the idea and Lorie didn’t want the job I’d done my best to place her. Satisfied, I tried to get a few hours sleep... without success.

It was Gina who was on my mind for this last ‘go ‘round’ before dawn. I remembered how excited she’d been when the new job was offered to her. She’d be getting the recognition she deserved with the title of Head Teller along with a nice raise (more than what the Chief Clerk would pay). But there was more. Gina would be working only a few miles from where she lived. That meant at least an hour more time to be with her daughter. There would also be savings on gas and car maintenance. The more I thought about it the more I was inclined to keep my mouth shut. Lorie transitioning into the position would be a problem but letting Gina go was probably best for all. Showering, I had to rethink what I was going to say when Hobie brought her up at work as I was sure he would. I contemplated telling him about Gina leaving but knew that if I did I was taking the easy way out.

Walking in the back door at work I still didn’t know what I was going to say. In fact, right up to the moment I saw Hobie coming across the lobby I didn’t know. Somehow I’d let his parting words the night before about Gina totally dominate my thoughts (and cost me a night’s sleep). I sat there at my desk not really doing anything but waiting to be called to his desk. Other than a “Good morning”, nothing was said between us. Right before lunch I saw him in conversation with Lorie and wondered what that was all about. I had to wait until he returned to find out. My heart was pounding when he called me to his desk. It turned out that his second thoughts about Lorie had been resolved after talking with her. I was like a stick of melted butter by the time he stopped talking. I don’t know if I let out a sigh of relief when he finished or not. I can tell you that I felt relieved that I hadn’t reacted to his observation about her the night before. At that point all I could do was wait for Gina to tell me when she was actually leaving... and felt somewhat good about it for the first time.

To be continued...

2 comments:

oldblue said...

Somehow everything got lost to me since the first Tuesday post. Oh, well I'm caught up now.
The panties after the stand up was great, the lose of Gina is sad, but understandable.
New format just means I'll still be reading.
Enjoy the 4th.

Pantymaven said...

OB... Not sure what you meant by "lost" but am glad you're still here... :-)