Monday, July 24, 2017

HEADING FOR SUMMER... and whatever it brings (Part 160n)

HEADING FOR SUMMER… and whatever it brings (Part 160n)

Seeing Betsy waiting at the back door in a bright yellow dress certainly started my workday in the right direction. She seemed a bit reserved as compared to when I’d last seen her. Hobie hadn’t arrived yet and I pretty much knew Jerry wouldn’t get there much before 9:15am, or after, so I took her to my desk. I explained that our new telephone system was now operational and I had to make sure it was working plus we still had to wait for Jerry and the Vice President for our meeting. When I returned I wanted to find out the reason she was so quiet. It didn’t take long to find out what was on her mind. She couldn’t understand why she had to make a special trip just to meet Hobie when she was scheduled to be at the office on Wednesday to start her training. I’ll admit I hadn’t given it any thought when Hobie told me to arrange the meeting so I couldn’t give her an answer. Then she asked if I’d found out why Jerry’s wife had been present during her interview with him. I told her I didn’t have an answer but suggested that she raise the question during our meeting. She didn’t take too kindly the idea but I encouraged her to at least give it some thought.

I’d given Hobie the application with her experience listed back on Friday so he’d be knowledgeable when asking her questions but I still truly couldn’t understand why he wanted the meeting. When he arrived I still didn’t know. The conversation was purely casual until Jerry arrived. He was at his Casper Milquetoast best, wringing his hands as soon as he walked into Hobie’s area. He acknowledged Betsy but wouldn’t look at her as Hobie started talking. His words were directed at Jerry and he told him that even though he (Jerry) hadn’t selected her (Betsy), she was to be his head teller and there would be no discussion about it. Then he asked Jerry if he understood. That I had to hide a smile goes without saying (writing). Then I got an even bigger surprise when he told Jerry that another person he’d interviewed but had not selected would be part of his “team” and mentioned Rita’s name. In mentioning her he came as close to chastising Jerry as he could without reaming him out. He told him that Betsy and Rita, with their experience, would be the keystone to the success of the branch. Jerry just sat there, wringing his hands and looking down at his lap and the floor. I had to look down as well to keep my facial expression from being seen by Hobie. Then Hobie turned to Betsy and asked if she had any questions.

At first she didn’t respond and when it appeared she wouldn’t speak she turned to Jerry and asked the question I wanted her to ask… “Why did your wife sit in on my interview?” My head immediately turned towards Hobie. I’d learned that he was a master at hiding his feelings and I wanted to see his reaction to that. I should’ve looked at Jerry. I think the term “tongue tied” would be appropriate here. He made a few abortive attempts before Hobie spoke up and repeated the question. Again, Jerry stumbled and bumbled. His answer, after a time, was that he’d brought her along so that after the interviews were over they could do the final inspection on the house they were buying. When Jerry was telling us that my eyes were on Hobie. His facial expression didn’t change but he did make a note on a pad on his desk and that was all. I, and I'm sure Betsy, wanted to know she couldn't have aited outside the room. It was awkward for all of us and Hobie finally put an end to the meeting telling Betsy he was glad she was “part of the family”. Looking at her face, I wasn’t so sure she was.

I don’t think Jerry said more than “hello” and nice to meet you to Betsy the whole time we were together. When the three of us stood up Jerry walked out of the area without saying anything to her. I led her back to my desk and, remembering her question about why she had to come out that day, I asked her to take a seat. I headed back to Hobie’s desk and caught him between phone calls. I broached the idea of having her start her training right then and there. The cost would be that she would be on the payroll two days early. After I explained the situation Hobie OK’ed it. When I told her it changed her attitude immediately. I then introduced her to Lorie and hoped that all the “drama” was over.

As for the new phone system, the only one who was struggling was Mary Carol, the switchboard operator. I was certainly relieved to see Norman, the salesman for the system, walking across the lobby. He was there to see how we were doing and his timing couldn’t have been better. As far as I was concerned the only problem was the old telephone equipment that was still in place. It belonged to the telephone company and we had to wait for them to come and pick it up. The flexibility of the new equipment was appreciated by all those I spoke to. After talking with Lena,the president’s secretary, and Trish I felt that between the new phones and the service bureau processing our banking transactions the bank was well on the way to being considered “progressive” and I was proud of my part in getting it there.

Returning to my desk I passed by Jerry and found him to be sort of pouting and unwilling to look at me or to even acknowledge my presence. That was OK by me. However, still in the back of my mind was the matter of his wife being present during the interviewing process and the lack of a 'real' answer. I’d noted that Hobie had made a note on it during the earlier meeting and hoped that he’d ask me to meet with him about it sometime later. I desperately wanted to let him know that Jerry had done the same with Rita, the experienced teller that Jerry had passed over and that I’d hired. I still harbored the faint hope that with enough “dirt” on Jerry that he’d be let go and a ‘real’ manager could be hired. I waited all day to get a call from Hobie but it never came.

At the end of the day I checked with Betsy and she appeared to be doing really well. She seemed to be the relaxed person I remembered her to be when I  first interviewed her. Lorie added that having Betsy there to work with her one on one for a couple of days was proving to be a big help. Once the other tellers arrived for their training it would be more difficult. Watching Betsy gather her things in preparation for leaving was the first time I could get a ‘relaxed’ look at her. She was a nice looking woman with a nice shape. Wearing that yellow dress I could finally asses her ‘attributes’. I watched her pick up her handbag off the floor and got a small VPL. The dress material appeared to be linen and although a little on the heavy side I was still able to see the indent of a leg elastic of her panties. I just hoped it was a forerunner of something better. All in all, walking out the door that night I had a much better feeling than I’d had that morning.

To be continued…

3 comments:

Pantymaven said...

Got a little behind... Had what the radio called a "mini tornado" late yesterday that took out trees, power lines and some roofs. It hasn't been confirmed yet. Power went out just as I was about to post and just came back on.

Anonymous said...

Mini Tornado?! That's scary! Glad you're OK PM!

As for the latest poet, I had a huge smile on my face imagining Jerry sweating through the meeting! LOL!

Bad

Pantymaven said...

BS... It was confirmed as an EF-2 tornado. Heard over 80 homes were damaged with about a dozen destroyed. We were never in danger but the periphery around the path of it got buffeted pretty hard.

... on Jerry, I was killing myself to keep from smiling...