Wednesday, July 12, 2017

HEADING FOR SUMMER... and whatever it brings (Part 160i)

HEADING FOR SUMMER… and whatever it brings (Part 160i)

With Rita gone one of my worries had passed. The next was in what would happen when Jerry appeared. But Mike, the messenger custodian, came up to the gate to the platform to inform me there was a piece of equipment being delivered… the Xerox machine. The old 3M copier had been removed and space enough for the new machine had been cleared so I wasn’t concerned so I asked Bret to oversee the placement of it. I was on my way to see Lorie about the teller training for the new branch employees when I saw Jerry headed towards me. In the months that he’d been there I’d never seen him get upset. But that had changed. He was just about running across the work area as he approached. I’m not sure what it was that he was muttering as he rushed right past me. I fully expected to be attacked, at least verbally, but all he did was to go to his desk, sit and just stare straight ahead. I do remember standing there and thinking “What a wimp”. I’m not sure how I would’ve reacted if he had let go a barrage of disparaging words to me… but because of where we were I was sure glad he didn’t.

I’m not sure I wasn’t shaking a bit when I got to Lorie’s work space to go over the teller training. I tried my best to get on topic but my eyes kept darting towards Jerry. It was Lorie who got me on topic saying she thought she had the training assignments and  schedule worked out. She said she could start the following Wednesday and that would give them a week at the main office and, hopefully, a week at the branch before waiting on any customers. She told me she was going to work closely with Betsy and hoped she would pick up on it quick enough to be able to work with what would be her ‘charges’ at the branch. Time on the teller machines would be her focus for all four of them. Hearing what she had to say in such a positive way kind of lulled me into thinking things were going smoothly. But, just as I had that thought, Bret appeared. The Xerox machine didn’t fit.

I really couldn’t believe what he was telling me. Really. So I trudged up the back stairs to see for myself what he was talking about. Before I even got halfway there I ran into Bert and Hobie as they were leaving the Board room. Hobie told me he wanted to see me but I told him there was a problem with the Xerox. With Bret right there he told him to look into it. Bret, thankfully, spoke up and said he'd already surveyed the situation and that's why I was now involved. That news caused him to want to take a look himself.

As I previously had written, The machine was to go where the old photocopy machine had been. We’d measured the space it was to occupy and that part was fine. What we didn’t take into consideration was the width of the doorway. When the building was built that area was for storage and had no door. All the walls were concrete… a special very hard type. When additional work space was needed it was reconfigured except for one thing… the entryway. It was approximately 28 inches wide and at least an inch more was needed. It wasn’t a case of removing a door and door frames because there weren’t any. We’d already found that to just drill holes in the concrete special drills were needed. Breaking pieces out was not feasible.

The sight of the machine when it arrived had gotten the mortgage department people all excited so they were watching the whole scene evolve. We were committed, by contract, to accept the machine. Now the question was… where to put it. Hobie didn’t have any suggestions and left. Before leaving he told me to come to his desk after the machine was placed. (It finally ended up in the vestibule area just outside the Board room.) That took almost an hour. I’d skipped breakfast and it was now lunch time. I debated with myself as weather I should grab a bite first or go over to see Hobie. Once down the stairs I knew it had to be Hobie.

Naturally, I was concerned. It would be the first time, one on one that day, and I really had no ‘read’ on his feelings about me going to Bert in his absence. He was at his desk and when he looked up just pointed to the side chair. He continued reading what he had in front of him making me feel like I was invisible. It probably wasn’t a minute before he looked up. Expecting at least some  sort of rebuke, I was pleasantly surprised that he told me that Jerry wasn’t to make any more hiring decisions without my express approval. I, of course, wanted to know what had led up to that decision being made… but, wisely, kept my mouth shut. The one thing that did bother me was  wanting me to have Betsy come back to the main office to meet with the three of us (Hobie, Jerry and me) to “clear the air”. I wasn’t sure just what that meant but knew I had my ‘marching orders’.

By then I was craving something to eat. But, before I got to the door I’d been reminded that the bank had to provide access to the Northern Telecom crew on Saturday so they could install, program and check out the new electronic switchboard. Bret had agreed to come in just after mid day and stay until they left. There was no one else but me to open the doors for the workers and I surely wasn’t happy about that. Now, with racing the car, I no longer had all day Saturday for chores and things around the house. As I headed over to the luncheonette I saw Lorie. She waved to me to wait for her and when I did she asked a question that I’d not even taken into consideration… would the installation of the new telephone equipment interfere with data transmission? With my stomach now growling, I went back inside the bank with her and called Albie at the data center.

While waiting for him to be located I chatted a bit with Lorie about the new phones. I volunteered that if the test the next day went well we’d all be in much better shape as far as communications in the bank were concerned. I explained that we’d be able to just push buttons to speak to anyone located in the building. That seemed to impress her. Frustrated about my having to come in to oversee the testing, I mentioned it to her. When I heard her say the words “I could do that for you…” I wanted to jump up and kiss her.

It wasn’t that easy. Only officers had keys which meant she wouldn’t be allowed to do it. There was one thing that was clearly on my side in this matter… Lorie was Hobie’s favorite. That had been made clear many times over (including her being chosen over Gina for the chief clerk position). I decided to approach Hobie about it and was much relieved to hear him say “OK”… as long as I was the one to unlock and open the building up. When I told him Bret would be there for the afternoon he signed off on it. I was free… sort of…

To be continued…

No comments: