Friday, July 14, 2017

HEADING FOR SUMMER... and whatever it brings (Part 160j)

HEADING FOR SUMMER… and whatever it brings (Part 160j)

It was almost 3pm by the time I got something in my stomach. I’d not gone out of my way to avoid Jerry but by the time he left for the day I still hadn’t spoken to him. I’d been able to contact the just hired head teller, Betsy, and used the upcoming training schedule as my excuse. After hanging up with her I decided to make the calls to the tellers Jerry had hired to apprise them of when and where they were to appear for their training. The first one I called was the one with the relative who had been a race car driver. I was able to quickly ‘bond’ with her with that as a background. On the phone she sounded energetic, positive and anxious to start her training. That was encouraging. The next call was to the woman who’s application was hard to decipher in that it didn’t contain any information as to just what she did in her present job. It took a bit of explaining for me to get her to understand that I was not the man who’d interviewed her. I was scratching my head by the time she grasped that. When I told her that training would start the following Wednesday I waited for her response. None came. I had to ask if she was still on the line. She finally answered that she couldn’t make it. I remember sitting there thinking that I must’ve dialed the wrong number… but it was the right number. It turned out the reason she couldn’t come to the main office was because she didn’t have a car. Upon hearing that I wanted to laugh.

I was on the phone to Rita, the lady I’d interviewed that morning, within seconds. I didn’t get the excited response I’d hoped for but got a nice measured one indicating that she’d probably accept but only after talking to her husband. I made an attempt to get an acceptance right then and there. However, she said that in thinking back to the interview with Jerry, being passed over by him and my leaving in the middle of her interview that morning had left her with a bit of an uneasy feeling about the bank and the management. There was not much I could say to that. I was about to tell her to think it over and to try to get back to me as soon as she felt comfortable when she kind of blurted out a question… “Why was the interviewer’s wife in the room when she was being interviewed?” Now it was my turn to go quiet. I had to make a quick decision… lie and say I didn’t know about it, or… just say I had no idea why. I chose the lie. For sure, I wanted to know myself. I still couldn’t wrap my mind around the reason for her being there. I know I hesitated for a few seconds before I asked her to describe what had taken place. I don’t think she was expecting  the question as she, in turn, hesitated before answering.

She said she saw the other woman when she first walked into the room. She said she asked about her as she was sitting down and said the interviewer (Jerry) just sloughed off her question saying something like “Oh, she’s just my wife.” She said the interviewer started in asking questions with no further reference to the other woman. I jumped in at that stage and asked if his wife ever spoke during the interview. She said she didn’t remember if she did or didn’t but she did remember seeing her make some sort of hand signal. I had to ask where Jerry’s wife was seated during the exchange. She hesitated again and finally said  “In the other window.” Not having seen the room I couldn’t really place all their positions so asked. Rita said it was a really nice room with two bow windows that faced a wooded area with a stream running though it. I honestly remember the stream from when my family had stayed there after WWII. She went on to say that she and the interviewer were seated facing each other in one of the windows. The other woman was in the other bow window but the curtains were drawn. The more I heard the stranger it seemed to get. I interrupted her to say that I really had no idea that the situation had occurred or why the other woman was in the room. I got the sense that Rita had had enough and I’d probably gone too far with that subject. I closed by asking her to think seriously about the offer I’d made (It was for a lot more money than the woman who said she couldn’t come to the training sessions) and to get back to me as soon as possible.

Have you ever been in a situation where you had ’news’ but didn’t know what to do with it? Betsy, the woman I’d hired as a head teller, had told me of Jerry’s wife being present during her interview and, strange as it was, I’d not mentioned it to anyone. Now, I’d just gotten confirmation, with details, of Jerry’s unorthodox interviews. I sat there wondering what to do with the information. I remember wishing I’d had it before Jerry had his meeting with Bert and Hobie. As a result of it though, I was happy about getting clear delineation of my authority over Jerry but his strange behavior was troubling. I don’t remember how long I sat there debating with myself on taking the information to Hobie. He hadn’t seemed too put out about my going ‘over his head’ but I wondered if he’d take this latest bit of ’news’ as ‘bashing’ Jerry. It had been made clear to me that Jerry wasn’t going anywhere so I just ‘sat on it’.

The last thing I did for the day (at work) was to co-ordinate with Lorie and Bret about ‘baby sitting’ the Northern Telecom people the next day. I told Lorie I’d be at the bank by 7:45am and would stay until she got there, hopefully by 8:15 or so. She was OK with that and Bret confirmed he’d be there a little after noon. I remember looking forward to the new phone system… no more dropped calls… being able to dial an extension without having to go through the old PBX board and having the switchboard operator do it for us… being able to put a call on ‘hold’ and then dialing another extension. I knew it would be a period of adjustment until the system was understood but it would be a big step in the right direction.

I was a bit apprehensive on my trip home knowing that Elle hadn’t been happy with how late I’d come in the night before. I knew she’d be totally unhappy with my heading back that night to work some more on the race car. I tried to be positive and upbeat when I walked in fully expecting to see a frown but was greeted with a smile and the announcement that we were going to a party for our dessert. I had no idea what she was talking about. It turned out to be a small farewell party for the German twins that had spent the past few months staying next door with Phyllis and Bill. They were headed back to Pennsylvania the next day to get ready for Summer school to prepare them for college. I’d not seen all that much of them but our kids had and Phyllis thought it would be a nice parting gesture. Since it was all decided I knew better than to open my mouth.

To be continued…

No comments: