Thursday, July 06, 2017

HEADING FOR SUMMER... and whatever it brings (Part 160f)

HEADING FOR SUMMER… and whatever it brings (Part 160f)

Luck, or whatever you want to call it, plays a part in our lives. Mine, on that next day, was that both Hobie and Jerry called to say they wouldn’t be in. For my part, I was anxiously awaiting the missing applications. Sure enough, in the mail that day was the awaited envelope. I tore it open and after but a few minutes I'd identified two prospects… if they were still available. Jerry had interviewed them on the phone over a week ago and had met with them six days earlier. On paper I was truly impressed with both and, thinking about the applications for the ones Jerry did hire, wondered why he’d rejected them. I was concerned that with the passing of that much time they wouldn’t still be interested or would’ve been hired. I dialed up Lena, the president’s secretary, and asked if he was available. She said he was about to leave for lunch but I pressed her saying it was very important. I waited for a response and then was surprised to see Bert walking up to my desk. I wasted no time at all requesting permission to contact both ladies without Jerry. He hesitated but, with a nod, told me to proceed and indicated he’d take care of Jerry.

I was holding my breath when I dialed the first one. The phone rang and rang. I was about to put the receiver back in the cradle when I heard a very young voice on the line. It was one of the woman’s children. When I asked for his mother he said she was on the potty. I laughed, probably out loud, as I remembered the famous line from Art Linkletter, “Kids say the darnedest things…”. I told him I’d call back a little later and proceeded to then call up the other applicant. This one was actually my second choice and I got lucky as a very positive sounding female answered. I identified  the bank and myself and said I was calling for Jerry who was ‘unavailable’. As soon as I did I heard a change in the tone of her voice… enough for me to ask if anything was wrong. There was silence for more than a few seconds. I clearly remember her measured words when she said that she should probably keep her mouth shut. I didn’t know how to respond to that so I didn’t. Sensing I was treading on a sensitive subject I decided to try some ‘sugar’ and told her that her background was exactly what we were looking for. “Your interviewer didn’t think so!” was her immediate reply. The words were like bullets. Never having faced a situation like this I kind of stumbled when I said that I’d like her to give me a chance. More silence then one word “When?”. With a very questioning voice I responded “Today?”

My head was spinning after I hung up. She estimated she’d be at my desk within the hour. Here I was, going to interview the woman without Jerry and without permission from Bert. I knew he took almost two hours at lunch to care for his ailing wife so might not be back before she arrived. Taking a deep breath I picked up my phone and dialed his home number. I was so nervous that my words probably sounded like babble. After a second try I was able to describe what had taken place. The fact that he was silent didn’t make me feel all that good but the only direction he gave was for me not to make a commitment. I couldn’t argue so just sat there, nervously awaiting the arrival of the woman.

When she was walking across the lobby I made a personal decision. I liked the way she carried herself (her looks weren’t bad, either). Trish led her to my desk and she stuck out her hand and with a firm grip gave me her name, Betsy. I pointed to the chair, indicating for her to take a seat. The next few  minutes were some of the most uncomfortable of my life (up to that time). Before I could say anything, or to ask a question, she started in on her interview experience. What she told me sounded like some sort of horror story. The main thing was she wanted to know was why Jerry’s wife was present during the interview. Of course, I knew nothing about that. My jaw was probably slack from the shock of hearing about it. When I spoke I was ‘backpedaling’. I was truly impressed with the experience the woman had on her application and didn’t want to lose whatever ‘edge’ I’d gained on the phone so was lying through my teeth when I told her that I’d been unavailable and that Jerry, doing his first interviewing (not a lie), was a bit overwhelmed. Upon hearing that she slid back a bit on the chair. I knew I was on ‘thin ice’ but pushed ahead and got into the real interviewing process.

Her first job out of high school was as a cashier at a McCrory’s 5 & 10 cent store. She stayed for seven years while having two children. She’d been promoted to lead cashier just before they decided to close that location. In the meantime, her husband had been promoted a number of times and were finally able to purchase a house. They’d just about gotten settled in when she saw our advertisement and was really excited about the opportunity to work less than five minutes from her home. I carefully danced around trying to find what her salary had been but was able to determine that $6,000 was more than enough to cover it. I had her describe just what a ‘lead cashier’ did and felt a head teller position was pretty much the equivalent. We had both ‘relaxed’ somewhat by that point and I felt good about where the conversation was going. The last thing I expected was to have Bert walk up.

I introduced him to Betsy and gave him a thumbnail overview of her experience. I didn’t expect a response from him but I almost choked when I heard him say something like “Don’t let her get away…” as he headed for his office. I was totally blindsided with that. Was I to go ahead and offer her the position? What about the other lady that I’d called? What salary should I offer? AND… how was I going to explain to her that Jerry would be her boss?

If this was supposed to be ‘test’ it sure was taxing my brain.  In my working life I seemed to go from one crisis to another. However, having said that, I also had some incredible luck as well. As I sat there trying to figure out a sequence Betsy asked for a rest room. I don’t know if the sigh I let out was audible or not but I pointed to the door to her right. She hadn’t disappeared behind it before I was dialing up Bert. Lena answered and I’m sure she could hear the panic in my voice as she said she’d get him right away. In less than 30 seconds I’d been cleared to hire her as a head teller at a salary of up to $6,000… and he’d explain it to Jerry. When I put the phone down I was numb.

When she returned to the chair I told her that the bank would like to hire her as a head teller. Without giving her a chance to speak I went on to say that the branch was our first and we had no background as to what to offer her for the position. I know she wasn’t prepared for that and now she was the one on the defense. She squirmed a bit and finally, in the form of a question, asked if $100 a week would be OK. The smile on my face was all that was needed.

To be continued…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I can hardly wait to read what Jerry's reaction was! When you wrote that his wife was at the interviews, I was blindsided! I'm guessing SHE was the one doing the interviews! Maybe she didn't like this lady because she was attractive?

Bad

oldblue said...

OK, I'm hooked. What the hell was going on in that interview. Why would any wife be in on hiring? When is this nonsense going to be brought to a halt?
I can see the headline, BANK BOARD PLEADS INSANITY!!!!!

Pantymaven said...

BS... say tuned!

OB... you're only reading about it. I lived it!