Friday, November 24, 2017

MORE SUMMER HEAT... lots of it (Part 162bb)

MORE SUMMER HEAT… lots of it (Part 162bb)

I got back in time to see one of the applicants for Joanie’s position leaving the bank. Based on her looks and J J’s preference for cute young girls I thought she was definitely a good possibility. Laura was in deep conversation with Bret and I wondered what that was all about. Trish was sitting at the desk that Jerry had occupied during the time he’d spent at the main office and was waiting on a customer. I was glad to see that. With everything seeming to be operating smoothly I made a call to the branch. Barb, the young girl who had been moved from teller to receptionist/secretary, answered. In the time I’d spent at the branch I’d come to like her work. Without much in the way of real work experience she’d willingly tackled each new assignment with enthusiasm. I asked for Betsy and was told she was in Jerry’s office and with a customer. When I asked where Jerry was her answer made my blood boil… “He left with his wife…” As I remember it I let go with a few less than complimentary words about Jerry. Remembering who I was speaking to, I apologized to her. Then I asked when he’d be back and was told she didn’t know. I thanked her, hung up the phone and headed for Hobie’s area. That was a waste of time.

Upset was a nice way of describing how I felt when Hobie told me “get all the details” before saying or doing anything. Back at my desk I couldn’t bring myself to tackle anything, my mind consumed by the continued clueless actions of Jerry. I’d given up trying to figure him out. I was now past the point of expecting any sanctions against him (or his being fired). It wasn’t even 4pm but I knew I couldn’t stay any longer. I interrupted Bret and told him I had to leave. He gave me a funny look but all he said was he’d see me in the morning. Keeping my thoughts to myself I remember thinking… ‘maybe…’

I knew I wanted to do something to take my mind off the ridiculous situation I found myself in with Jerry. Monday nights were when the race car was unloaded and we’d start preparing for the next night of racing but we wouldn’t start until after 7pm. I needed my mind to be occupied prior to that and the thought came to me… tennis. Elle was shocked to see me home so early and the shock became double when I asked if she wanted to play a little tennis. I don’t think she ever turned down an opportunity for tennis. She said she had to do a few things first or we wouldn’t have anything for supper which gave me the time to change out of my tie and suit. Knowing that I like to see her wearing a tennis dress or skirt she asked if she should change. I told her she was OK dressed as she was. She herded the kids into the station wagon while I grabbed the tennis gear. We were at the school tennis courts in less than 10 minutes and on them soon after. On the way she asked me what was up that I was home early and I replied I’d tell her later and just wanted to play tennis.

My tennis had never been very good but for whatever reason I remember playing better than I ever had. When we did stop Elle even complimented me. I couldn’t explain why the change but later that evening I came up with an idea… that I concentrated on hitting the ball wishing that it was Jerry that I was swinging at. It was Elle that called it quits saying she was tired. That was a first for her, for sure. By the time we corralled the kids I’d calmed down and felt I could carry on a reasonable conversation. Strangely, I can’t remember even thinking about Elle’s panties the whole time I was with her before leaving for the race car.

The decision to head for the branch was made while I was showering the next morning. I rehearsed what I was going to say to Jerry any number of times before arriving. Based upon his past history I didn’t expect him to arrive before 9am. He was headed for the back door when I pulled into the parking lot and called out to him. The look on his face was one of pure shock. I called him over to my car and told him to get in. I can remember holding onto the steering wheel as tightly as if I was back driving a race car when I started talking. As calmly as I could I asked where he’d gone the previous afternoon. The look on his face told me he was truly surprised that I knew he’d left. He said he had to take his wife to the doctor. I, now in an ‘acting mode’, feigned surprise and asked what was wrong with her. I’m almost laughing as I type this but his answer was to tell me “Nothing…” and that it was for her annual check up. (Truly, I’m not making this up.) I also remember taking a deep breath before I, with as much calmness as I could muster, asked why she couldn’t drive herself. Again, another unbelievable answer… “I always take her…”.

Remembering Hobie’s admonishment to me about “getting all the details” I made the decision not to ‘ream him out’ but told him that he was to contact me or Hobie any time he had to leave the bank when the vault was open… and with as much lead time as possible. Not unexpectedly all I got was a blank stare. Trying to ‘keep my cool’ I reminded him that that requirement was part of the security program I’d had to write and administer as a requirement of the Bank Protection Act of 1968. He still had a blank look so I asked him to show me his copy of it when we got inside. As we walked to the front door I asked if he’d ever  shared that information with the tellers. With no answer I finally ‘lost it’. When I ‘explode’ I seldom remember just what I’ve said and I have no idea what words I used.

Once inside I walked away from him hoping to regain some composure. Betsy could see I was upset so other that a cursory “Good morning…” I was left alone. I could see Jerry on the phone through the window into his office and wondered if he wasn’t calling his wife to tell her that I’d yelled at him again. I didn’t have to wait long to find out that it wasn’t his wife but it was Hobie he was talking to. After a few minutes he stuck his head out the door  and with the first words I’d heard from him that day he told me to pick up the phone in the tellers area. That’s when I found Hobie on the other end of the line. His words were few but very clear… get back to the main office ASAP.

Where it should’ve been Jerry taking ‘heat’ it was me. Hobie wouldn’t let me speak but told me to write up the whole episode and have it to him by lunch time. Most of what I just finished writing here came from that assignment. In any case, as soon as I handed it to him he told me to take the rest of the day off. As you can imagine that left me a bit more than concerned. On my way home to take my mind off of it I came up with the idea of going sailing in “Big B’s “ boat. I’d had the use of it for over a month and other than bailing the rainwater out of it hadn’t been on board. I came up with a semi-plausible reason for being home around 1pm in the afternoon and had Elle try to find places to palm the kids off. It was a lot easier than I imagined so with a hastily packed lunch for me we were off. Turning in to the marina I wanted to kick myself. So anxious to get going I hadn't picked out clothes or panties for Elle to wear. I had grabbed the camera so all wasn't lost but here we were going to be all alone out on the water and an opportunity for some 'good stuff'. I could only hope what she was wearing would be good picture material.

To be continued...

3 comments:

oldblue said...

Jerry has someone in his corner and it seems you failed to recognize that his fear is somewhat like a cornered dog, they tend to bite. Those who have what they think is someone with their back tend to let their protector do their thing by jumping someone below them, who in turn drops the hammer on bad guys head, namely you. You have a failing at that place, trying to do a good job and protecting your employer, instead of covering your ass by simply running to Hobie with copies of your findings. Simply doing an excellent job usually never gets you ahead of a brown nosed suck up unless you are near the top of the ladder.
I really enjoy the ins and outs of that bank, what a bunch. To think they have the towns money, but there actually is little change in todays world from then.

Pantymaven said...

OB... I really enjoy your insights to my travails. In some cases it seems like you've traveled the same road. Please keep reading... I think you'll really enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

What a character that Jerry is! Hope it all worked out for you in the end. I had a mini explosion of anger yesterday at work. I won't get into it other than to say I usually feel bad after they happen (even though it wasn't directed at anyone present).

Bad