Friday, June 01, 2018

FINISHING THE YEAR... Odds & ends (Part 167j)

ENDING THE YEAR… Odds & ends (Part 167j)

My time in the attic did bring forth something of real value (other than Barbara’s panties) in that I was pretty sure I found where the squirrels were getting in. At some time someone had added some soffit vents and two of them were missing. I took the panties, squirrel nest and headed home. Andy had said he’d not be in the office for the rest of the day so I made a note with a sketch of just where the missing vents were located with the idea of dropping it off at his office on my way to church the next day. Elle was pleased with the nest and was excited to have it. As far as the panties were concerned I temporarily hid them in the shed part of the garage wanting to find something to wrap them up so that it would hide the smell. By then I’d ‘killed’ most of the day but remember raking leaves until dark.

One ‘task’ I still had to tackle was in getting the San Soucie panties out of our attic for Woody. As with Laura and Joanie, I didn’t want them to know I had them in my possession. I’d told both of them that I’d order them from the factory and then proceeded to create a package supposedly sent to my attention. At that time I still had San Soucie boxes that held six panties. The last batch Willie had shipped were boxes of twelve and she was only getting six so that wasn’t going to work. I was thinking about that while washing up for supper when Elle suggested that I box up the squirrel nest. We stored empty boxes in the attic so it was Elle who gave me the release to get up there for the panties. While eating I was thinking about just what types of boxes were there and hoped I could find something that I could pass of as a shipping box. Once up there I decided to check to see that squirrels hadn’t made a return to our house. That effort proved to be the solution as I moved some things about a flat, unmarked box appeared. When I returned with the box for the nest Elle wanted to know what had taken me so long. I gave her bit of a ‘song and dance’ about checking for squirrels which I wasn’t sure she ‘bought’. I hid the box with the panties under my side of the bed on my way back downstairs figuring I’d be able to get it to the car sometime before leaving for work on Monday. I had to wait before giving them to Woody anyway as I’d told her it would take about ten days for the order to be filled. The concern was in Elle finding them.

At church the next morning I was told the shop had made just under $100 but was told the new look of the undercroft now that it had been painted was well taken. In fact, the minister even suggested that the parishioners go take a look. That created a bit of a problem because since the shop opened there hadn’t been a “Meet and Greet” with coffee and cookies. The invitation was a reminder that some of them hadn’t approved the shop and there was some grumbling.

The audit examination by the accounting firm usually took about seven to eight working days. Starting on a Tuesday I was counting on them being gone by Thursday at the latest. I’d not had any feedback on my run ins with Melissa, the assistant lead examiner back right after the group had arrived. Being the second full week of the audit things had settled into a routine. One way to know their time was almost up was to have them schedule an exit interview wth senior management. I managed to overhear that it was going to be on Thursday. It was confirmed when some of their people thanked our staff for their help on Wednesday afternoon. I was feeling pretty good in that Melissa had never come back to harass me after she’d tripped and fallen while in the attic. No one came to follow up on the item that was so important to her that first day. In truth, it had been a fairly easy audit. But, I knew there were two more to go.

The only surprise that whole week was in seeing Morris, the consultant the Board had hired to assist them in finding another branch location walking across the lobby. It annoyed me that Hobie was so tight-lipped about what was going on in that area. Technically, I was in charge of bank operations although there was no title to go with it. I just hoped that some little ‘snippets’ of information might come my way after his meeting with the branch committee. I felt I might be able to get some information from Morris if only I could get him alone for a minute or two. With that in mind I found something to do in the back work area where I could observe the elevator door. My plan was to make a dash to get outside as soon as I saw him coming and then, as casually as I could, walk up to him and ask how he was doing. The problem was that I watched most of the Trustees who were on the branch committee leave but didn’t see Morris. It was after 5pm so, technically, my day was over and I went outside. I don’t know how long I waited… 15 to 20 minuets… before I saw him walking towards the door with Hobie. I was mad and walked down the street and stood in front of the store right next to the parking lot. I saw Hobie shake his hand and leave him. He walked over to a car and opened the trunk. I figured I’d missed my chance. But then I saw Hobie drive by. Then, I just kind of appeared by the back of his car and introduced myself again. The first thing I heard from his mouth was “Why weren’t you at the meeting?” I explained that the Board was very “cliquish” and regardless of what job one might have on a day to day basis, title was everything. I was considered a “junior officer” even though I had full responsibility for a myriad of things on a day to day basis. I remember him standing there in the dark shaking his head. He was silent for a few seconds and ten started in to tell me what had transpired. Then he stopped and told me he’d call the next day. The only concrete thing I got from him was that he’d located a “prime location” and the committee was going to look at it the next week. He then shook my hand and got in his car.
My only thought was that these were the same men who would decide on this location who had chosen the one where our present branch was clearly struggling. My hope was that they would listen to Morris. He’d been ‘right on’ with the premiums we’d used for the new account campaign. In thinking about the men on the branch committee I had my doubts. However, I was pleased that he’d spoken to me.

With the audit over on Friday I figured I’d give Woody the panties when she was about to leave. I’d ‘fudged’ the wrapping of the box and hoped I could pull it off when giving it to her. I’d managed it with both Joanie and Laura but timing would be critical. She was working the drive-up that night and just before 6pm when we closed down I got her attention and held up the wrapped box. She acknowledged both me and the box. As soon as she finished locking her cash box I went to the work table where she did the school savings program. I tore off the brown kraft wrapping paper as she approached. It was critical that she not see what was on it for an address. I was crumpling it up as she reached the table. I quickly checked to see if anyone was in sight and seeing no one opened the box. Thankfully, there had been Sans Soucie tissue paper with the panties so it looked official.When I looked at Woody I could see she was embarrassed.

To be continued…

No comments: