Sunday, June 03, 2018

FINISHING THE YEAR... Odds & ends (Part 167k)

ENDING THE YEAR… Odds & ends (Part 167k)

The box I’d used didn’t have a top and could only be opened from the ends. When packaged at the factory the panties are banded with a white strip of paper in groups of three. I’d opened one end and reached in and pulled out one pack of three along with the tissue paper. When Woody saw that her faced immediately flushed and she looked around. She said something that I don’t remember understanding and made a motion for me to put what I had in my hand back in the box. I didn’t and put the panties down on the table in front of me. The tissue paper pretty much covered the panties but Woody was clearly uncomfortable. From where I was standing there was no one who could possibly see what was on the table and I tried to pass that on to Woody but she still wasn’t happy. I remember telling her about the pack of three and that there was another in the box but all she wanted was to have them put back in the box. I did and handed her the box. Without looking at me she thanked me and took the box. I was a bit puzzled as she hadn’t exhibited that kind of shyness when we’d first discussed the idea of her trying out the panties. It had been in my car when driving her home when she’d missed her bus. It had been dark so I really hadn’t seen her face to know how she’d reacted. I could only remember her saying “yes…” when asked if she’d like to do it. There wasn’t much I could say at that point so told her “good night” and headed for my desk. I was a bit disappointed in not having at least a comment about the panties but hoped I’d have an opportunity in the future.

At home Elle had three messages for me. One from Andy, the realtor; one from Johnny, the painter and one from my old friend “Big B”. It had been a while since I seen him. He worked for a marine supply company as an over the road salesman. But, with the renewed interest in the America’s Cup sailing races the owner of the company had decided to open a satellite office near where much of that activity was centered. “B” loved being on the road and the fact that he was on commission. A very social person, he prided himself in being able to get new customers. The owner tapped “B” to open the new facility and “B”, reluctantly, agreed to do it. With the sailing season over “B” was finally back to living at home and wanted to get together. I liked that idea and Elle agreed to inviting him over for dinner sometime the following week.

Andy wanted to thank me for finding where the squirrels were getting into the house next door. He also told me that there was a very good chance that the house would be sold. The people who’d been looking at it had made an offer and he was in the process of talking the owner into accepting the offer. In closing he told me to be looking for a package on my back patio the following week. I hung up wondering just what it might be. When I told Elle about the house it was like I’d given her a present. She’d been hung up about the house being empty ever since it was confirmed that migrant workers had been living in the house back during the Summer.

After I first met Johnny and told him of my being a part owner in a race car he’d been after me to take him to see it. I’d told him to just stop at the garage owned by Cliffy’s father and ask to see it… but he was reluctant to do it. After talking with him I agreed to meet him there the next morning. I’d go to the landfill and then to the garage and, hopefully, get back home in time for lunch. An interesting sidelight to the call was that he’d hired Nick, the young man living with the minister, to help him since he was limited in what he could and couldn’t do with his bum arm. I felt good about that because I’d taken a liking to him right from the time I’d met him.

I hadn’t seen Cliffy since the night the crew put the race car away for the Winter. His wife, Beth, was there when I arrived. It had been a month since I’d seen her when we were at the championships. She was a big woman to begin with and now with but a few weeks to go until the due date she was enormous. Elle had never gained more than 20 pounds with any of our three but by the looks of her it had to be a lot more than that. To make conversation I asked if there was an expected date and she her exact words were “Only Santa knows…” and then laughed. Johnny arrived and I introduced him to Cliffy and took him back to the car. There was no doubt that he was impressed as he asked a myriad of questions. After a while I looked at the clock and saw noon was almost upon us. I told Johnny I had to go and took off. As I walked out the door he was talking with Cliffy. I had a feeling Cliffy wasn’t too happy with me for bringing him.

On the way to work on Monday I  got to wondering what Woody thought of her new panties and fantasized her wearing her oatmeal colored slacks while wearing a pair of them. It turned out to be just that… a fantasy, as she was wearing a skirt. At least I took some pleasure in pretty much knowing what she had on for panties. I’d barely settled in at my desk when Joanie let me know I had phone call. It was Morris. I’d made a bet with myself thinking he wouldn’t call as he'd said he would and when he didn’t on Friday I thought I’d won. But, now I was happy I’d lost. The first words out of his mouth were to warn me not to betray him by letting anyone know that he’d called me. Then, in a sort of backward way, he thanked me for getting him involved with the bank. He said he thought that the committee was a f____d up group but had a feeling that he could work with them anyway. He said he had a “prime location” lined up closer to the County line where we’d be able to draw from a much larger population. He admitted he had a real job ahead of him in convincing the group to spend the money necessary to buy the property. Then I heard him sort of chuckle as he said that was how he earned his money. I was reluctant to ask questions but got up the nerve to ask if he’d let me know if and when they made a decision. He hesitated and I didn’t ‘push’, satisfied that I’d gotten the information that he’d shared. After hanging up I had sort of a smug feeling that in spite of being denied, physically, of being a part of the planning process I still knew what was going on.

I knew it was too much to expect that I’d have an opportunity to see Woody where there weren’t others in close proximity. It wasn’t until Wednesday, the day of the full Board meeting. One of the annoying habits that some members had was to arrive at just 3pm where they wouldn’t have time to transact banking business. I’d get a call to have someone come to the Board room to collect their ’business’ and take it down to a teller who’d already started counting her cash. They hated that. It had mostly been Trish to do it because they were all familiar with her. I’d not sent Joanie since her move to be the receptionist and Trish was still the ‘go to’ person… except she had asked for the afternoon off. So, I decided to be the one. I’ll be truthful and say I did it because I wanted to see the members who were on the branch committee and having information that they didn’t want me to have. Childish, I know… but I did it anyway.

Collecting their ’business’ I headed down the back stairs not really wanting to interrupt the proof process of any teller. I went to Lorie to ask who I should take it to and she pointed towards the drive-up area. Without even trying I’d gotten what I’d hoped for… a few minutes with Woody. When she saw me coming she looked down and away from me.

To be continued...

No comments: