Tuesday, June 05, 2018

FINISHING THE YEAR... Odds & ends (Part 167l)

ENDING THE YEAR… Odds & ends (Part 167l)

My intended purpose was to have Woody process some banking transactions and I made sure I let her know that was the reason for me being there. I apologized for interrupting her proof and explained that some Board members would do that from time to time. She took the materials but still wouldn’t really look at me. I remember being a bit peeved that she was acting this way. After she processed a couple of them and handed the receipts to me I finally spoke up and asked what her problem was. She looked up at me and I knew immediately she hadn't been expecting that. I took advantage of her surprise and, for lack of a better description, ‘attacked’ her when I asked if her attitude change towards me had anything to do with the panties. I knew it was but I wanted her to admit it. But, she didn’t say anything so I continued by saying that I just plain didn’t understand females and how they viewed certain articles of clothing. By then I was starting to get ‘wound up’. I don’t remember exactly how I worded it but it had to do with why having a man see a woman’s underwear was so wrong when the same woman sees nothing wrong when wearing a two piece bathing suit made up of basically a bra and panties and is out in public while wearing them. I didn’t stop there because I distinctly remember saying something about how underwear got saddled with the title of ‘unmentionables’ and that didn’t help the situation. There was more but that was basically it. Woody still hadn’t said anything when we both heard Lorie call to see what was taking so long. That was when she turned and finished up  the Board members transactions and I headed back to the Board room.

It was on my way back downstairs that I had some second thoughts about my mini diatribe. I’d used it on a couple of other occasions so it wasn’t a topic buried in the recesses of my mind. What concerned me was how she’d process what I’d said and what she’d do after hearing it. From a ‘right or wrong’ perspective I didn’t feel I’d done anything wrong ‘hanging my hat’ on the fact that she’d been the one who instituted the subject of panties. By the time I got to my desk I realized I’d been a little ‘rough’ on Woody and became concerned how she’d react. However, still ‘worked up’ I thought of Lynda, over at the stock brokerage office. I was positive that she’d been teasing me with with panty peeks and got the idea to go over after work and see if she was receptive to a conversation. I wasn’t sure just how I’d lead into it but called anyway. From the sound of her voice she seemed pleased that I’d called and that I had actually called to speak to her. Normal quitting time at their office was 5pm but there were two trainees who were there studying for whatever the test is that certifies you to be a legitimate stock broker and she’d be there until 5:30pm. That gave me some time to come up with some sort of segue to the topic I wanted to discuss. Before leaving the bank I made an attempt to apologize to Woody and although she seemed a bit ‘cold’ to it wasn’t visibly upset… a definite plus.

Lynda seemed genuinely pleased to see me as she asked why I hadn’t been around much. I don’t remember the answer but changed the subject to her and how she was doing as the last time I’d seen her she was upset about her Army reserve husband and his deployment. She was at her desk and I was standing at the low rail that separated the aisle and the work area. When she pushed away she did the same motion I’d seen her do a few times before. Using her right leg to propel the chair to the left made the space between her knees grow to at  least a few feet. And… she had her eyes on mine as she did it. After getting to the rail I saw her display what would best be described as a ‘wicked’ smile, lips closed and a twinkle in her eye. I immediately knew I had my ‘opening’ but the question was did I have the nerve to pursue it.

I’m sure I took a deep breath or two before I spoke. It was a question… “You did that on purpose, didn’t you?" All I got back for and answer was a real smile. There was some casual banter between us before she challenged me… “You liked it… I can tell…”. I know I was blushing which was probably worth more than words as an answer. I think that was when I looked around to see how ‘involved’ the two men at the back table were and then asked if I could ask her opinion on something that was bothering me. I’m sure she wasn’t expecting that because I could see the formation of a frown on her forehead. I wanted to defuse the seriousness of the topic quickly so told her I needed to get a woman’s perspective on a pretty minor subject but one that had been on my mind a long time. (I’d discussed it with Elle on a couple of occasions but never got very far with it.). I remember her telling me to go into Stan’s area (her boss and my broker) and to take a seat. I actually liked it better when standing and not just because of the potential for a view of her panties, but did it anyway.

I’ve tried to remember exactly how I worded my question when I started and I can’t. I know I ‘beat around the bush’ a bit but I do remember finally asking why some women take such offense when a man sees her underwear. I also remember her quickly leaning forward in her chair and almost choking and trying to stifle a laugh. I’m not sure what her exact words were but they were along the lines of “You’re asking me?” and with a huge smile on her face. I know I wasn’t smiling because I’d asked the question with all seriousness in mind so I had to ‘back up’ a bit to give her some background with how the question originated. While I was attempting to do it she leaned forward in her chair again with a look that told me she’d finally realized I was serious. Then she apologized for laughing and not taking it seriously. I didn’t know where to go with the subject at that point and didn’t say anything. I’m glad I didn’t.

Still with a bit of a smile she stated that she wasn’t one of those women… and added that she hoped I hadn’t included her in that category. That made me smile and I might’ve even laughed. Then she added she hoped I wasn’t offended by any of her “slips” and I definitely laughed at that. For some reason she felt compelled to explain her reasons for doing it. In a way I was surprised and yet, in looking back she had exhibited signs of a ‘controlling’ personality. She told me it was a way for her to show that she could elicit a non verbal response from a male if she chose to and added that she’d done it a number of times with me. Again, I don’t know why but in hearing her I felt embarrassed. It was a few seconds before I recovered enough to try and get back to the basic premise of why so many woman have no problem parading about, in public, in a bathing suit and then make such a fuss when, by accident, some part of her underwear shows. Seeing I was serious she hesitated before answering that it probably had to do with history and it’s puritanical views. She hardly had those words out of her mouth before I asked why she hadn’t bought into that line of thinking. That brought forth a guttural laugh from her before she said her mother had been very liberal in her upbringing. Even though it was close to 5:30pm I wanted to hear more.

To be continued…

No comments: