Thursday, June 28, 2018

FINISHING THE YEAR... Odds & ends (Part 167u)

ENDING THE YEAR… Odds & ends (Part167u)

There were two parts to the new construction. One was to build space for a new “anchor store” and the other was to make a food court and consolidate all the various food vendors into one place. To do it meant razing the wall at the very end of the mall and with it the rest rooms located there. There were signs to guide the shoppers to use the temporary ‘porta-potties’ located just outside the doors or to use the facilities in each of the existing anchor stores. Upon this unexpected discovery I asked Elle how she was doing and she indicated  she was OK but we needed to find a place for her… and soon. We retraced our steps heading for the Macy’s store because Elle knew exactly where the ladies facilities were located. We had to go past one of the new anchor stores and I suggested we head in there. As soon as we walked into the place Elle was handed a fairly small bag and told to find the packet inside. She asked what it was for and by then the attendant was handing a bag to the lady behind us. The store, being new, was very crowded and by stopping to find the packet we kept getting run into by people entering behind us. We got out of the main line of traffic and Elle found the elusive packet. On the outside were instructions to open it to see if there was a “mystery key” inside. We were both intrigued with it, so much so Elle forgot why we’d headed into the store in the first place. Ours had a key and instructions to take it to a display near the back of the store. It was a nice ploy to make you walk through all of their offerings. I could see a fairly large gathering of people and what was purported to be an island in which a wooden chest had washed ashore. We watched as people went up and tried the key in the lock with most not having any success.

Approaching the end of the line we could see a list of the prizes with a four day, three night trip to Paradise Island in the Bahama’s as the top one. Always a bit skeptical of contests like this, I remained in line to appease Elle. It was truly a surprise to see the key Elle inserted in the lock actually open it. Inside the trunk were a whole bunch of white envelopes and the attendant, dressed like someone who’d been stranded there for an extended period of time, instructed Elle to pick one.  She did and once off the platform opened it up. It was gift certificate worth $5 but the caveat was that it had to be used by January 1. While we were reading it I saw Elle sort of shiver and almost immediately say “Uh oh!” And knew what was happening. My first reaction was to look down between her legs. I saw nothing there and asked Elle if she was OK. In thinking about it now I have to give her credit for not panicking. We stood there for a minute or two with people coming and going around us and it gave me a chance to think about what to do. Basically, we’d accomplished what we’d set out to do and had gifts for the kids. I told her the best thing she could do was to find the ladies room and to pull out the soaked sanitary pads. The plastic pants would contain the wetness of the panties and we could head for home. I wasn’t ready for her to disagree and, still holding the gift certificate, she said we could buy some panties… that she didn’t want to ride the whole way home, wet.

It took a few minutes for us to find the lingerie section. As we searched for it I was thinking back to the Gaymode panties I’d seen at the Penney’s store just a couple of hours earlier. But, we were looking here at this store. As far as where it stood in the hierarchy of department stores it was on the higher end but not in the highest echelon. It was definitely a higher quality than the regional department stores especially when it came to prices. As was common in that period of time for lingerie departments in the large stores there were small tables with panties laid out in rows, by size and/or brand. Because of the crowds of people that were there the panty tables were pretty much in disarray. Elle wasn’t comfortable looking through them but I, with many years of experience, went right up and picked out a couple. As I lifted a group off the table I saw a rather unusual thing in the form of a four inch, blue and white tag attached to a pair of panties with a string. I’d never seen panties with a tag like that before so reached for it. (Note: I tried to remember what the tag said as I put the outline for this part down on paper but couldn’t come up with it. However, I woke up at 4am and it came to me… but I was too lazy to get up and write it down… and now it’s gone…) I pulled the panties out by the tag and turned it over to see the panties were made by Kayser and to top it off, they were Elle’s size. I took a look at them and saw a couple of things that made them a bit unique, at least to me. They were definitely nylon but seemed a bit heavier material and more opaque. Another thing was that the leg elastics were covered much like the waist elastic of the Gaymode panties I’d just seen at Penney’s. The waist elastic was the tunnel type like the VanRaalte panties I liked. The only thing I didn’t like was that the crotch was fairly small. It only took me a few seconds to look them over and to hand them to Elle.

Now our job was to find the ladies rest room. Elle saw a hanging sign and headed in that direction. I knew I wasn’t going in with her so stopped and returned to the table with the panties. I went looking for another blue and white tag and it didn’t take long to find a few of them. The first panties were way too large but I didn’t give up and found another pair Elle’s size. I grabbed them and immediately went to find Elle. Luckily, the ladies room had a line and Elle was still waiting to get in. I walked up and handed her the other pair and, much to her dismay, told her to put them on with the other ones. She looked at me in disbelief. I remember her shaking her head as I backed away… but she stayed in the line.

It wasn’t until I saw her coming out that I thought about the wet panties. She was still upset with me so I didn’t say anything about them. She had the presence of mind to keep the price tags because I hadn’t thought to pay for them first. We probably could’ve gotten away without paying because of all the people who were there but we walked up to the counter and Elle handed the clerk the tags and the gift certificate we’d won. I still remember the look on the woman’s face when she asked Elle where the panties were. Elle didn’t know what to say at first but, thinking quickly, she pointed to the bag she’d been given when we first walked in. When we got away from the counter I asked what she did with her wet things and she, again, held up the bag.

Back out in the mall itself I asked her about the new panties. I don’t remember exactly what she said but I do remember her making a comment about not being “bare-assed”. Still not over her snit about me telling her to put the panties on when in line for the ladies room, I felt we’d done just about all the shopping we were going to do. The first McDonald's in the county was located not far from the mall. When I suggested we go there to eat it changed her mood immediately. We’d gone there right after it opened about five or six years earlier even though it was quite a trip for us. We’d read about McDonald's and seen pictures of them and decided to make it an excursion. We’d talked about that trip many times and they were good memories. My suggestion to go there brought them back… and put a smile on Elle’s face.

To be continued…

No comments: