Thursday, December 20, 2018

LIFE GOES ON... and on... (Part 171e)

LIFE GOES ON… and on… (Part 171e)

Paula wasn’t the only item for discussion. Elle, in telling of her stop to see her at school had casually mentioned a visit her doctor. She studiously avoided going for check-ups and had most of her life. We’d discussed the need for a pregnancy test and Elle had said she’d take care of it. I thought I’d have to prod her to do it so wanted to hear how it had gone. They didn’t have those convenient little test strips that can be purchased in drug stores back in those days. Elle had to leave a urine sample to be put through some sort of procedure and it would be a few days to get the results. When asked how she’d been feeling she told the doctor she seemed to be tired all the time. Since she was already in the office the doctor suggested that she have a physical and thorough blood work up to get a ‘base line’ from which to work with if it turned out she was pregnant. The doctor was well aware of Elle’s incontinence so being embarrassed by her partial ‘package’ was not a factor. However, when it came to drawing her blood it was another story. Elle absolutely hated needles to the point that she’d almost fainted on a couple of occasions. Hearing Elle tell of it I could only imagine her reaction. She told me she didn’t pass all the way out but got very light headed. When she started to come out of it she could feel that her ’bottom’ was very warm. That embarrassed her as the partial ‘package wasn’t designed to hold a full void. Elle always had spare panties in the station wagon and the doctor, to spare Elle further embarrassment, went out to fetch them for her. I’ve written on any number of occasions, as much as I enjoyed Elle’s wetting, I never enjoyed seeing her be embarrassed. She seldom, if ever, ever voluntarily told of such occasions so this was something new. I’m glad she told me on her own. To me, it was a sign of maturity on her part.

I never got as far as I’d wanted with the empirical data that I’d been working with. There was just so much material and I’d never seen anything like it before. I gave up after falling asleep with it in my lap. As soon as Hobie saw me the next morning he wanted to know how it had gone. I suggested that to save time we go upstairs to see Bert. When we did it was a little disappointing because I’d gotten so worked up with the concept of meeting, one on one, with the legislators that hearing Bert’s comment that it wouldn’t do much good. I don’t know where I summoned the courage to ask why he felt that way. His answer was that legislators from rural areas were ignored. I started to protest but stopped. I was caught off guard when he encouraged me to finish what I’d started to say. It was nothing ‘earth shattering’ and not much more than what the lobbyist had espoused at the meeting. It would be a “numbers” game and the more who heard the message the better chance of getting the hearing before each house of the legislature would be. I couldn’t tell if he was impressed or not but said he’d take it up with the Board. Leaving his office I had a good feeling about myself. Only time would tell if it really meant anything.

That day was the last one in the ‘busy period’. It was the first one since it began where we actually had a deposit gain. It was my hope that things would get back to some form of normalcy. It was Mae, asking about the cellar project, that pretty much confirmed it. The one big outstanding question was what would be in the combined audit report from the Federal and State authorities. I still thought about CeeCee’s abrupt leaving and couldn’t help but wonder what had taken place at the exit interview with the Board’s audit committee. I won’t say I was worried but I did know that my area of responsibility, operations, would be written up and would probably focus on the branch. That, to me, was a never ending problem.

With the pressure off as far as lobby traffic was concerned I could actually take a lunch break without feeling guilty. I wanted to get over to the brokerage office not so much to see Lynda as to get the latest news on the last stock I’d purchased. In working with Stan, my broker, one of the basic tenets he espoused was to set limits on losses and to not be greedy on the profit side. Rather than use percentages I chose to put a dollar amount on both gains and losses and that amount was $1,000. The last purchase was approaching that amount but I wanted to check on the latest research before making a decision. I was a little more anxious this time because of the possibility of Elle being pregnant. If the profit got to $1,000 it would mean I’d parlayed about $1500 into over $3,200 in a little over six months. When I walked into the office Stan was standing right inside the door. He laughed when he saw me and said he’d just tried to get me on the phone. Lynda was at her desk and Stan was sort of blocking my view of her but I could see she’d pushed herself away from her desk and was reaching for something on the lowboy file cabinet behind her. The spread between her knees was over two feet. As soon as I saw that I lost track of what Stan was saying. If he wasn’t in a rush to leave I’m sure he would’ve picked up on my inattention to him and my attention to Lynda. Even though it was for only a split second seeing the white of her panties was exciting. By the time Stan was out the door she was back at her desk. She acknowledged me but picked the phone receiver that was on her desk and became totally involved with the person on the other end of the line. I was a little impatient because I wanted to get something to eat. She glanced up at me and made a motion to indicate she’d call me.

It was after 3pm when Lynda called. I could tell she was a bit stressed because she would usually start with something ‘light’. I won’t say shows all business but wanted to know if I needed something to be done. I explained that I’d come for some guidance on the Pacific Petroleum stock. She responded with the standard company ‘line’ about not being qualified to give advice… but then I heard one word…”Hold.” and I was put on hold for about 30 or so seconds. When she came back she asked if I got “the message” and that’s when it came to me. I thought it was incredibly quick thinking on her part. She still sounded like she was struggling so I told her I’d catch up with her the following week. I’d wanted to ask if there was any time frame for Ruthe’s return to work but didn’t get it out before she hung up the phone.

Before leaving for the day I did speak with Mae and arranged to meet her at the bank Saturday morning. There were only a few Saturdays before the stock car racing season would start. It was my goal to have gone through all of the stuff in the first bin by the first of May. Between the two of us we’d managed to get rid of enough junk to have about 1/2 of it clear and available to use for files presently filling needed file cabinets on both the first and second floors. There was one employee who couldn’t wait for it to happen… Moira up in the accounting area. In anticipation of that happening I’d spoken to her before the busy period and told her to start boxing up the oldest files. She worked in the smallest area in the bank and was out of room. I also knew she’d be involved in the move and hoped I could get caught up with what was happening in her world.

To be continued…

No comments: