Sunday, December 30, 2018

LIFE GOES ON.... and on... (Part 171j)

LIFE GOES ON… and on… (Part 171 j)

I was still not totally aware of ‘body language’ at that stage of my career. However, when you feel you know someone pretty well and see his demeanor change you know something’s going to happen. Here I was having just received praise for supposedly doing well and all of a sudden I see the person who has just uttered those words lean forward in his big, comfortable chair and put his hands together on the table and stare right at me. I was across the table from him and with no one on either side of me knew I was going to hear some things I really didn’t want to hear. To say I was nervous would be to put it mildly… and it’s for that reason I use that as the reason I don’t remember what he said first. Later, when I wrote the incident up, I had no recollection of anything he opened with. The first words I do remember were stating an obvious fact…. Jerry was a problem. For the next 20 or so minutes (maybe longer… I didn’t make note of it) I heard the story of how it came to be that the bank hired him. It’s been 50 years since then and because I couldn’t take notes at the time I know a lot of the facts are jumbled and ‘fuzzy’ so please bear with me.

When the Board of Trustees made the decision to open a branch they had no idea what was involved. They did know the big city banks were prohibited from opening branches in the County but knew little to nothing of how that came to be. I won’t go over that here and suffice it to say, because of their ignorance they made any number of ‘fumbles’ in pushing the process through. One of the things it had taken me some time to fully realize was that with all contracts there is “fine print”  and that has to be read and understood. What the bank had missed in filing all the paperwork and jumping through the obvious ‘hoops’ was that the final decision would come from the State Banking Commission following a number of private meetings held among themselves. The Commission was made up of State appointed people as well as members of the banking community itself. One of the banking members was the Chairman of the Board of his bank and he, not the head of the Commission, was considered to be not only powerful but also cantankerous. He was opposed to allowing our bank permission without some additional conditions to be added. As preposterous as it sounds one of those conditions was that our bank had to interview a set group of people recommended by members of the Commission to be not only the branch manager but also to become an officer of the bank. (Are you getting the picture?) Sitting there listening to Bert go over this ridiculous proposal I thought back to how strange the interview process had been. It had not taken place at the bank itself and how secretive it had seemed to be.

I think (but am not sure) this is where Bert stopped and in as serious a tone as I’d ever heard from him, told me that none of what I’d heard or would be hearing was to be discussed with anyone… and the “anyone” was stressed more than once. I was told that if word got out about the content that I would be terminated on the spot. Believe me, I got the message! But, I was completely baffled as to why he was telling me all of this. When Bert continued he told me the list our Board was given contained officers from city banks that had been put forth by members of the Commission… Jerry included. When it came time for our branch committee to make the decision on who to hire they chose Jerry because he worked for the bank the ‘cantankerous’ Commissioner was Chairman of. Bert added a little ‘aside’ at this point in that he and Hobie had disagreed but had been overridden. All I did was sit and listen as there was some discussion between the two of them. The bottom line… that was the reason I’d been stifled in trying to bring Jerry ‘in line’ and why, unless he committed some sort of crime, we’d all have to live with him and the situation. Bert added that with another branch application pending the bank didn’t want to upset any member of the Banking Commission. With that said and established, it came time for me to hear about the audit report.

Again, because I was so nervous I can’t remember the sequence of what was said and when. An overview (mine) of what Bert proceeded to cover started with the ‘exit interview that CeeCee, the head examiner for the State, had with the audit committee. She had cited the lax conditions at the branch when it came to following standard operating procedures. When asked by a member of the committee if she’d observed any of the specifics she’d referenced she said she hadn’t. The next question was where did she get the information from… and she’d told them from me. Hearing that, a couple of the Board members ‘jumped’ on her saying that what she’d referenced was ‘hearsay’ and shouldn’t be a part of the audit report. Without Bert saying it I immediately got the answer as to why CeeCee had left so abruptly on that day. The way I figured it the Trustees had badgered her not to write it up. That part wasn’t mentioned by Bert so I don’t really know. Moving on… what she did in writing the branch audit up was to reference that there were some ‘internal memos’ that indicated that the manager of the branch was “selectively” bypassing “accepted accounting principles” and that needed to be addressed. From what I gathered she didn’t reference anything specific. That left me sitting there wondering what was to happen next. It didn’t take long to find out. Bert sort of excused what I’d done by handing over my folder of Jerry’s transgressions to CeeCee as an error of judgement due to my inexperience. He didn’t come right out and say it this bluntly but, in essence, he said the auditors were the “enemy” and we, the bank, should not go out of our way to do the job they were paid to do.

There was a pause while Bert left the room. While he was gone I took it upon myself to ask Hobie what was I supposed to do going forward. He told me just to listen to what Bert had to say and that we’d talk afterwards. When Bert returned he seemed to have softened the stern position he’d taken over the previous twenty or so minutes. I was still sitting forward in my chair when he returned. He obviously noticed and instructed me to sit back and relax. When your body is involuntarily stiff it’s almost impossible to do. So, I sat there and listened as he pretty much agreed that Jerry was a “handful” but that somehow we were going to have to live with the situation while, at the same time, taking steps to meet the direction as written in the audit report. Bert then said he’d called Jerry to come to the main office to meet with him the next day. Hearing that I wanted to be a part of it but knew there was no chance. He finished up saying he was going to meet with Hobie after lunch to see what they could come up with and I’d be advised as to what was decided. That told me I was ‘safe’. I was excused and headed down the back stairs left to wonder what they could come up with that hadn’t been tried before.

To be continued…

No comments: