Saturday, December 01, 2018

"SPRING"ING AHEAD... Better days? (Part 170v)

“SPRING”ING AHEAD… Better days? (Part 170v)

I’ll spare you the details of CeeCee’s observation of the branch but for those who’ve been following this tome for a while pretty much know where the problem lay… Jerry, the branch manager. I let CeeCee go over her notes with me before saying anything. With the branch my responsibility I knew it would come back on me. When I finally responded I didn’t dispute anything she had noted but told her that my hands had been tied from really doing anything about Jerry by the Board of Trustees. That seemed to interest her and asked me for examples. Both Bret and I had been keeping notes on Jerry and I proceeded to get my file for her. She read a few,  asked to keep it and then suggested that it was time to quit. Having her read some of the notes was initially uplifting but… thinking back to having been called into the office of Bert (the president) and told pretty much that I’d have to live with Jerry and his faults gave me pause. My answer was to ask if we could chat “off the record”. Her response, and I remember this vividly, was a smile… and then a verbal OK. I told her that I had the feeling that there was some hidden reason why Jerry had been hired and why, even with all the things noted in the folder, that he was still there. I also told her of my warning from Bert. Looking at her face didn’t convey any message at all but I still had the sense that she understood my position and she’d use the information in the folder judiciously. We then got up and I remember shaking her hand and also taking a deep breath.

We’d been sitting at the table that had been CeeCee’s work area. I’d heard my phone ring a few times and, after glancing at my watch, assumed it was Elle wondering why I hadn’t called to let her know I’d be late. Not wanting to interrupt our conversation I'd just let it ring. After letting her out the back door I went back to my desk to get my things... and the phone rang again. I was all set to give Elle my excuse for not calling when I realized it was Lynda. There were very few people who knew the direct dial number for my desk after hours and Lynda was one. The last time we’d spoken I sort of complained that with the examiners there I’d probably be there until 6pm. She called to tell me that Ruthe’s parents had returned from Connecticut with her kids and Ruthe was now living with them. Her plan was to visit her over the weekend and she thought I’d like to know how things stood. Actually, it was a good time for that news. Something to take my mind off the examination and the hoards of depositors who’d be descending on the bank in the morning.

Ah yes… the morning. I arrived early and was surprised to see CeeCee at her work area. She seemed to be quite busy so decided to wait to see how she felt. I really had thought a trip to the emergency room the night before would’ve been wise but she’d declined. As soon as the doors opened Trish, Bret and I were ‘attacked’ by depositors wanting to know why the interest rate on their savings was so low. Some even showed ads with higher rates. There was a simple answer but it was (and is) hard to explain. We’d been asked from time to time about it and I’d made up a little flyer to hand out to help with the explanation. This is pretty much what it said… 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The basic way banks make money is to charge interest on the loans they make. But, to get the money to loan they have to pay people to deposit their money in the bank. There is a thing called ‘usury’ and it has to do with how much interest can legally be charged on a loan. Each state sets their own usury rate and for our state it is extremely low… 6 percent. For the bank to be profitable there has to be a ‘spread’ between what it pays the depositor and what it can make on the loan. One percent is the standard so the interest rate the bank pays is 5%.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A while back I’d written about a salesman friend who was starting a newsletter that would list the highest rates of interest that depositors could get throughout the US. In the course of a year there had been many articles written in financial sections of newspapers about high interest rates and it was obvious that the ‘locals’ were now getting wind of it. The problem for the three of us was the time it took to do the explaining. Before we knew it the noon siren was blowing. I’d not paid any attention to CeeCee and when I finally had a chance asked Joanie if she’d seen her. She didn’t know where she was and I didn’t have the time to go look for her. I knew the Board’s audit committee was meeting with her at 1pm and I really wanted to get an indication of what she was going to do with the material I’d given her on Jerry.

Since I wanted to catch up with CeeCee before her meeting I decided to play the role of martyr and forego my lunch so Trish and Bret could get a bite to eat. When 1pm, the scheduled time for the meeting, approached I still hadn’t seen CeeCee but there was nothing I could do about it. I saw the chairman of the committee walk across the lobby quickly followed by a couple of other Trustees. It was time for another deep breath. When 3pm arrived there were still quite a few people in the lobby. All in all, it had been an uneventful day as there were very few disruptions with data transmission. I went back to speak to Lorie to get a preliminary indication of net deposit flows. Without blinking an eye she responded that a lot of money had been withdrawn. I thought back to the people I’d talked with about rates and hadn’t had but a few who were dissatisfied enough to threaten to withdraw their mony so wondered why the outflow. I was puzzling over that when I saw CeeCee come down the back stairs from the Boardroom. As I approached she sort of stopped me by saying she had to leave. She went over to the table she’d been working at, swept the papers still on it off and into her briefcase and headed for the coat room. In less than two minutes she was gone… and I was worried.

What added to my concern was that I hadn’t seen any of the audit committee members come down from the Boardroom. CeeCee had told me the night before that the operations area (my responsibility) was in good shape so I figured there had to be a problem somewhere else. Hobie was the corporate secretary but only took minutes for the full Board meetings and the mortgage committee meetings so I knew I couldn’t go to him to find out what had taken place. When it got to be close to 4pm I saw him wander by Trish’s desk so followed him into the work area. I really didn’t know what to say but I needn’t have worried about it. It was Hobie who made the comment… “I knew it would be a tough one…” I knew what he was referring to but played like I didn’t. He was nice about answering when he said that anytime there was a change in the lead examiner during an on-going audit the replacement was usually a no nonsense type who dug into every file and was relentless until he found something. Hearing him say that reminded me of when I worked for the County Civil Service Commission where we were told to always have an obvious (but minor) violation so the auditor in charge could write something up and be ‘off the hook’. I remember it worked for the one audit that took place when I was there. But that was a different time and a different place.

To be continued…

No comments: