Friday, December 07, 2018

"SPRING"ING AHEAD... Better days? (Part 170y)

“SPRING”ING AHEAD… Better days? (Part 170y)

I was in front of the bus stop when I opened the envelope and when I saw what it was I stopped in my tracks not believing what I was looking at. I’d seen the picture in the album Lynda had shared with me back when I’d stopped at her house. As I stared at it I remembered that I’d made a comment to her about it… and obviously, she remembered. I don’t know how long I stood there, maybe 30 seconds or so, when I heard a voice ask if I was OK. I looked up while quickly hiding the picture to see one of my former neighbors from the mobile home park. We chatted for a few minutes but she had to board the bus. As she did I could only hope she hadn’t seen the picture.

Back at my desk I hid the picture in my briefcase. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to open it up back up to take a look at it as the afternoon progressed. Being a Friday, and still in the ‘busy period’, both Trish and Bret worked with me until 6pm. We were all anxious to get out of there even though there were still things we could’ve done in preparation for Monday. As soon as my butt hit the seat in my car I had the briefcase open and the picture in my hand. Staring at it I remembered there was a series of pictures that went with it. I thought the scene, outdoors, was incredibly sexy and wished I could get Elle to do something like it. As I put the picture away I knew it was wishful thinking on my part.

On the way home my thoughts focused on hearing how the trip to the circus had gone. I knew from Elle’s curt demeanor that she was less than pleased with the fact that she had to stay overnight. I’d thought about how she’d, reluctantly, taken extra panties and pads, and wondered how she made it through the night. Knowing her reluctance to discuss things that made her uncomfortable I knew it would be like pulling teeth to get her to tell me about it but I was determined. I got a somewhat convoluted view of the circus from Kaye who was still excited. At least that part was a success. Naturally, she brought home some souvenirs which she lorded over her sisters. Because there was no school the older girls were allowed to stay up a bit later which annoyed me. I wanted to hear all about Elle’s perspective of the trip to the city. With the girls all in bed I waited for her to return… and wait I did. I expected her to be reluctant to tell me but her not coming down stairs was ridiculous… so I went up to confront her. I’d found that confronting her when she was in this kind of mood would sometimes work… and it did.

NOTE: My telling of this part is from notes I wrote after hearing Elle tell me of her experience. I wrote it up in detail the next morning and put the papers in a file folder. It took some ‘digging’ to find it but, as you’ll see, I did… 

The bus trip to meet the train was uneventful. Elle fully expected to be able to use the restroom at the station but the bus was late in arriving and the passengers were ushered right on to the train. Based upon what I’d told her to expect she’d not had anything to drink since eating supper the night before so she told me she was OK up to then. The train ride was an experience in itself as there was little heat in any of the cars and as Kaye told me, “it was noisy”. They arrived at the terminal in the city around 9:30am. The first stop for all of them was the restrooms. Elle said they were disgusting and Elle held Kaye over the toilet rather than let her sit on the seat. She said she was happy that she was still dry and was tempted to just go in her ‘package’ because the place was so “disgusting”. No one had eaten before leaving and they were hungry. There were plenty of places to get a quick breakfast before heading upstairs to the arena. The show didn’t start until 11:30am but the doors opened at 10:30am. Ginger had been there a few times when she and Jon were first married so led them to the ’side show’ where all the “funny looking people” were located. Elle told me the kids were frightened by some of the “grotesque” people and some of the things they did. Elle said she’d never seen a swordswallower and was intrigued by him. They got to their seats and, as Elle put it was, “absolutely unbelievable” as they were front row in the mezzanine and right in the middle where they could see all three rings. She said they didn’t realize the show was as long as it was and when it finally ended they had but a little more than a half hour to get to the train… and had to get to the restrooms as well. That’s when things started to go bad. Long lines and the kids not co-operating led to Elle not getting to use the toilet. Once on the terminal level they ran to get to the gate but found it was closed and they’d missed the train.

Elle had been fairly upbeat up to this point but when she started in with Gingers’s decision to call her mother and to invite herself and Elle to stay over with her parents without asking how she felt about it I could see her mood change a bit. She said she was upset about missing the train, that she’d wet herself and had no input as to what they were going to do. After making phone calls they got a cab and went to her in-laws apartment.

++++++++++++++++
Some background is necessary here….

Ginger’s in-laws lived in a large, fancy apartment complete with a doorman and elevator operator. Her father in-law was a senior officer in a large commercial bank and was born and raised in the city. He married a ‘city girl’ and they had three children… Rob, Jon and Vickie who were also born and raised in the city. As the father in-law got promoted he invested money in a waterfront Summer home in the town where Elle and I lived sometime back in the 50’s. Spending their Summers there, Rob and Jon fell in love with the area and, after college and marriage, took jobs that allowed them to settle there. We got to meet Rob and Jon (and their wives) when Pat (the PTA lady) was trying to recruit younger candidates for the local school Board. They were part of “the Group” that Pat had put together and we eventually became a part of. Rob, by then was an alcoholic, and after a while was dropped from our activities. Elle became good friends with Jon’s wife, Ginger, for a number of reasons. She had five children, all girls, and we had three, also girls, with our two older ones matching two of hers in age. And, as it turned out, they shared something else… incontinence. In time as they became closer, Ginger shared some ‘dirt’ about her in-laws with Elle.

Basically, they were both recovering alcoholics. The bank where her father in-law worked paid for a stint in a recovery center and he remained sober and kept his job. But, when the kids were growing up, alcohol had flowed like water in their house. Rob and Jon were a couple of years apart but were never really that close. The daughter, Vickie, was four years younger than Jon and a ‘daddy’s girl’. She could do no wrong in his eyes. Jon resented her in that she got anything she wanted… new cars (plural, because she wrecked a couple due to drinking), vacation trips, three colleges with six years to get a degree. All that and he still refused to reign her in. Even with a teaching degree she still hadn’t gotten a job and sometimes lived with them in the city apartment.(74)
++++++++++++++++

To be continued…


No comments: