Monday, December 11, 2006

POST MORTEM... (Part 16a)

It was about that time when my Mother came out and reminded me about my "chores". I could tell that she meant it this time so I, reluctantly, left the girls and the beach. It was hard to concentrate as my mind was on Elle and her bleeding. I didn't know anyone to call. Of all my close friends I didn't know any of them who I truly believed had ever "gone all the way". A few of the braggards at prep school claimed many conquests but my gut told me they were lying. I worked myself up about the situation enough to get a headache but I did manage to make some headway on my list. My father wasn't happy with it though and "suggested" that I continue on with it after supper. I pleaded my case with him by telling him that Elle was leaving first thing in the morning and I promised to spend the whole next day on it and would most definitely get it finished. My mother came to my rescue and I was allowed to head for Elle's house. Elle seemed to be in a better frame of mind and appeared to be glad to see me. Unfortunately, she couldn't get free from her parents so I couldn't really talk with her. What I did find out was that because she was late getting in the night before she had to be in bed by 10pm. My first thought was that it wasn't too bad a punishment. However, because it was her last night home her parents stayed up past their normal bed time of 9pm. When they finaly said "good night" it was almost 10pm which meant I'd only have a few minutes alone with her. About the only thing we accomplished was to profess our love for each other and that I promised to call her as soon as she let her parents know how she could be reached once at school. Our good bye kiss was almost platonic when compared to where we'd been. I was certainly disappointed.

It took a long while to realize that what we were both feeling was remorse. I probably couldn't have given a valid definition of the word at that time. What we did hadn't been planned and neither of us were bad kids. But we both knew that, basically, it was wrong in spite of our emotions. Not understanding the physical ramifications of our act had only made it worse. It was another long, almost sleepless, night.

I promised that I'd be up early and to be there when she left. I wasn't. I remember checking the time when my brother got up to go to the bathroom and it was almost 4am. My father had to wake me up for the second straight morning and it was 7:30am. I knew then that there was no chance of seeing Elle as Nan's mother had said she wanted to be on her way by 6:30am. Now I was really depressed.

To be continued...

2 comments:

ross said...

PM, I'll never put your novel down, friend....great.

badside said...

Once again, your memories have triggered some of my own.