Monday, June 09, 2014

ANOTHER NEW YEAR... high hopes (Part 125f)

ANOTHER NEW YEAR... high hopes (Part 125f)

It didn’t take long for the ”troops“ to get their things and to head out the door. They were all told to call in to let us know they made it home safely. Bret, Cara and I were on the banking floor and Lynne was on the second floor, alone. Bret and I talked sports for a while and then Cara suggested that one of us go upstairs to keep Lynne company. Bret and Cara had gotten into one of those ”do you remember“ conversations about when they were in high school together so I volunteered to go upstairs. The switchboard was located  at the top of the stairs and from there you could get a straight on view down Main Street looking to the East. It was a mess. It had been snowing for three hours and still it hadn’t been plowed. Before I got a chance to ”visit“ with Lynne the switchboard started to light up like a Christmas tree. (Remember, it was an old PBX board with wires that had to be manually plugged in.) It was the employees calling in that they’d made it home. I took the call from Jerena who reported no real problems but it was just slow going. The calls kept right on coming and it was the same message form all. I also took the call from J J, since we both lived in the same town, about 11 miles to the East. It had taken him almost an hour (normally 20 to 25 minutes) because there were a few accidents along the Main road. He warned me to take it slow. Every time he’d hit the brakes the car would just slide forward. By 1:30pm we’d heard from all but one person. I had Lynne call their home number and got one of the kids. He told me that his mother had ”car trouble“ and his dad had gone to ”rescue“ her. I was immediately concerned and asked what kind of ”car trouble“ it was and he laughed and said that she’d run out of gas.

Cara and Bret kept track of how many people came into the lobby from the time the others had left until 3pm... exactly four... one customer with a deposit and two store owners who’d seen the lights on and came in to see if we were really open and one man who was just cold. Lynne had about a dozen calls with most asking if we were going to be open the next day. To say it was a waste of time to stay open is hitting the nail on the head. At exactly 3pm Bret and I locked the doors and by 3:05pm all four of us were in the back vestibule preparing to go out into the storm. I remember watching the snow blowing by the door at about a 45 degree angle. Once outside Bret asked if I wanted a hand getting the snow off my car. Never one to refuse help, especially in a snow storm, I said ”OK” and we headed for the back parking lot. As we made our way to my car it was obvious that the parking lot had been plowed. However, as we made the turn into the back lot I couldn’t believe my eyes. The idiot snow plow operator had pretty much plowed me in.

Bret and I looked at each other not knowing what to say or do. We were both in our business suits and fairly light overcoats, not exactly the clothes one would wear to do a sizable amount of shoveling... plus there was only one shovel in the vestibule. Bret started walking back toward the bank waving for me to follow. When we got to the street he told me to come on home with him and we’d figure it out later. By then I was pretty cold so didn’t complain. Even with having to make our way through unshoveleled snow that was easily six plus inches we were at his house in about twenty minutes.

I hadn’t seen his wife, Jan, in quite a while and was looking forward to it. She was back working full time at the hospital. They were still living with Bret’s parents and the last time I’d been there the house didn’t seem quite as small. That was because they hadn’t had their baby yet. I had to stop and think back to Elle’s and my first child and all the paraphernalia that went with it. Bret’s mother didn’t work so she was able to care for the child on a full time basis. She greeted us with a big smile and said she’d just made up some cocoa and cookies. It sounded good to me. Bret asked if she’d heard from Jan and she said that someone with a four wheel drive truck was bringing her home at 4pm, when her shift was over.

Bret’s father was the manager of the local office of a large regional commercial bank and he was due home at any minute. When he did he joined us for the cocoa and cookies and we proceeded to tell him of my woes. Without hesitation he strongly suggested that I spend the night with them. I remember taking a quick glance at Bret’s mother to see her reaction. The best way to describe the look on her face was to say it was one of resignation... her husband had committed to something with out a discussion... again. I immediately protested and said I had to get going but he was adamant, saying that it was foolish to go back out into the storm. Just about then Jan walked in. She was a little heavier than when she lived at my grandfather’s house but was still cute in a plain sort of way. She proceeded to tell us what an ordeal the trip from the hospital had been. (I won’t bore you with it.) That pretty much sealed my fate. She then disappeared and was soon back in regular clothes. After she was filled in about the “accidental guest” proceeded to ask just where was I going to sleep. It was a good question.

It really was a small house even though it had three bedrooms. There were two on the first floor and one upstairs. There was only one bathroom and that was right between the two bedrooms. Bret’s parents had moved upstairs when Bret and Jan’s daughter went into a full size crib. It didn’t take long to figure out I was sleeping on the sofa. I’d called Elle a few times to see how she was making out and was doing well. She told me that John (the farmer neighbor) had cleared the driveway twice before dark so that I wouldn’t have any problem. Supper was ready when I got off the phone. I don’t remember what it was but I do remember Bret’s mother baking an apple pie for dessert in honor of their guest... me.

We watched TV after we’d eaten and on the news it was reported the storm had been much more severe than had been predicted. I immediately remembered my father’s warning the night before. As usual, he was right on the money. It was decided that we’d all get up early to get a head start on the shoveling. To make things easier on the bathroom, Jan volunteered to take her shower before going to bed. Hearing that got my attention.

To be continued...     
    

No comments: