Tuesday, September 24, 2019

AND THE HEAT GOES ON... & on (Part 175b)

AND THE HEAT GOES ON… & on (Part 175b)

Even though I knew the marina owner and his wife I didn’t know any of the people who kept their boats there. Most were outboard type with very few sailboats and cabin cruisers. Both of those type were moored in the slips that were actually located out in the creek itself. Because I’d run out of gas the first time Elle and I went for a sail I’d bought a one gallon can so I’d have more gas than what was in the tank that was built into the motor. The marina’s gas dock was out where those boats were located. While waiting for the attendant to come and pump my gas I took a look at them. The sailboat was way bigger than mine by at least fifteen feet. The bow (front) was sticking out into the creek to the point that boats moored further up the creek had to maneuver to get past. To me, it looked out of place so went over to take a closer look.

Two of the main components of a sailboat are the mast, which is vertical, and the boom, which is horizontal. Sails are attached to them and when they are hoisted become the propulsion for it. However, when anchored or tied up to a dock the sails are furled and lay on the boom. If the boat is not expected to be under way (moving) for a period of time the sail is covered. The usual covering is canvas (and 90% it royal blue) and many sailors then use it to lay another piece of canvas over it and attach the ends to the safety rails. It affords the people some respite from the sun. As I approached I could see what appeared to be clothing spread on both the sail cover and the added canvas. Still on the shore I was trying to make out exactly what they were but my attention was diverted by the sight of four legs moving about the cockpit of boat. The makeshift cover prevented me from seeing all that much of the bodies that went with the legs. I was about to return to the gas pump when I saw the lower half on one of the two… and I swear to this day what she was wearing was a pair of white bikini panties. I know that bathing suits can be white and I’ve seen many of them but by then I’d pretty much discerned that among the clothing on the canopy were two bathing suits. I wanted to stay to see if I could see more but the gas attendant was calling.

When he was pumping my gas I asked about the big sailboat and who was on it. The kid was only about 15 or 16 years old but the look on his face when he told me that among others were two teen aged girls was quite humorous. That helped to solidify my theory that what I’d seen on that person was a pair of bikinis. I didn’t get a chance to ask anything about them because the kid continued that their father was there with them. He thought the man was in the process of doing some of business with Dave, the marina owner. I knew the owner but not all that well. I also knew the neighbors (including both Elle's and my parents) to the marina were still upset that it had been allowed in the area. “Big B”, the guy I bought the sailboat from, was a very good friend of the owner and “B” had told me he was looking to expand the size and scope of it. As I walked back to Elle, the kids and the boat I looked around and couldn’t imagine what he’d be able to do with what was, in essence, a lot of dredged up sand.

Elle was wondering what had taken me so long but I kind of sloughed her off and started the outboard motor so as to get out of the boat slip and into the creek. It was really old and “B” had only given me cursory instructions on the operation of it. But, I managed to get us out of the creek and out into the bay. Once the sails had been raised Anne took the tiller to steer the boat. As I’ve written any number of times she’d taken to sailing right from the first time we’d had her out on the water. However, this boat was a lot more boat to handle than the Sunfish she was used to so I was a bit concerned. I shouldn’t have been. Even though not quite nine years old she’d already grasped the basics of sailing and how the direction of the wind dictated which way she’d be able to steer the boat. The wind for our ‘maiden voyage’ as a family in our new boat was perfect. Not too much and yet enough to keep us moving. The only problem was in getting Anne to give up the tiller to let her sister have a go at it. I was proud of her for her sailing acumen but not proud of the way she acted when she had to give up steering.

Jean, the oldest daughter had not learned half of what Anne had. It was hard to fathom why since she also professed her love of sailing and being on the water. She was a rote learner having to have things explained multiple times whereas Anne pretty much got the concept when presented. In any case, I won’t say the girls got bored but after a while they both wanted to go for a swim. Once in the water the Lightning class sailboat was not a boat that an adult could climb back aboard without difficulty. I found out the first time I tried so gave up on it from that time forward. For the kids it was easy because Elle and I could grab them by their arms and swing them aboard. So, it was only the kids who got wet. Well, that’s only partially true. By that time it was well over two hours since we’d left home. With the kids in the water Elle went up on the fore deck and sat down supposedly to keep a close watch on the kids. I knew better. As she made her way forward I could see that telltale yellow spot between her legs. She proceeded to sit down with her feet dangling over the side and all I could do was to watch knowing full well that she was peeing… and I couldn’t even see it. That didn’t stop my ’bulge’ from appearing. I knew she’d never let me’ play’ when she returned as she never did when the kids were around. So, all I could do was wait for her to return to observe the ‘damage’ on her shorts. As she stood up I could see her whole backside was wet halfway to her waist. But, when standing and coming towards me, the stain was hardly noticeable. The girls knew of their mother’s problem so there was no worry about anything being said by them so we went about hauling them back in the boat as if nothing had happened. My biggest regret was in not bringing a camera to commemorate our voyage and possibly a picture.

Up to that point we’d been lucky to have decent wind. With the kids back in the boat we felt it was time to head for home. The normal southerly hadn’t arrived and when it didn’t it usually meant the wind we had would fade as the afternoon progressed. Anne wanted to keep sailing but I told her it was my turn at the helm and pointed the boat back towards the marina. When we were back to the mouth of the creek and with the wind, such as it was, out of the  North it meant having to use the outboard motor. While under sail it had been cocked up so as not to be a drag on our progress. After putting it back in the water I tried to start it but with no success. I couldn’t understand it since it had been running only a few hours earlier. Luckily, a small power boat was entering the creek at the same time and towed us in. It was not the perfect ending but Elle and the girls agreed it had been a fun afternoon and they wanted to do it again. The big question was when?

To be continued…

No comments: